Antenna questions

Antenna questions

Postby az2k » Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:46 am

We are making good progress on selecting a T-1 provider so now we are looking at what would be the best antenna. We have decided on a 120 degree sector antenna as the best fit but the question is what gain would be reasonable. The maximum distance is probably 1500 feet.

I have put together a "cantenna" and it works quite well. What type of weather proofing is common? I was figuring on putting in some PVC and capping the ends but I wonder how much attenutation there would be through the PVC.

Thanks,

Keith
az2k
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:32 am

Keith,
SWAG on the antenna: 14 - 15dBi. (SWAG = Scientific Wild Assed Guess :D)

About the PVC: It should be OK, but the best way to check is to place a short length in a microwave, with a glass of water. Zap it for thirty seconds. If the PVC feels warm (aside from any water vapor) it has absorbed some RF, and will therefore cause a loss. If is cool, then it hasn't absorbed enough to cause a significant loss. (The glass of water is used to prevent damaging the oven in case the RF is NOT absorbed by the PVC.)
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby az2k » Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:51 am

Is your SWAG based on the end user having a directional antenna or based on them having whatever antenna comes with the device?

Thanks,

Keith
az2k
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:10 am

Sorry, I should have made that a bit clearer. At 1500 feet, the device antenna will probably work, although a small exterior antenna would make life easier. It depends on the CPE. Some CPE have better antennae than others.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to Antennas