cantenna and paint

cantenna and paint

Postby fartmonger » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:45 pm

can anyone help answer, if making a cantenna (wave guide style, empty) out of materials other than a can ie, pvc or something. is there any "paint" on the market that the inside od the can be sprayed with in order to achieve the needed reflection properties inside the can?
All for one and one for All !!!
fartmonger
Mini Stumbler

Re: cantenna and paint

Postby rogerRabbit » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:53 pm

Originally posted by fartmonger
can anyone help answer, if making a cantenna (wave guide style, empty) out of materials other than a can ie, pvc or something. is there any "paint" on the market that the inside od the can be sprayed with in order to achieve the needed reflection properties inside the can?

There are paints with electrical conductive properties - but why do it the difficult way?
rogerRabbit

Postby fartmonger » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:19 pm

stricktly for looks :D do you know any names of these paints?
fartmonger
Mini Stumbler

Postby ted » Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:46 pm

One might line the tube with aluminium foil. It has better surface conductivity than most easily available paints, and it is easily available form your friendly grocery store!

I have several years ago used in my work such paints for EMC shielding of a plastic enclosure , but unfortunately I do not remeber any brands or names. However, they were quite expensive, and needed special spraying equipment for good results. The surface was more resistive than any metal foil, and I believe for cantenna they would introduce more losses.

Btw. similar conductive silver-based paints are used for reparation of car back window heater elements and for circuit board fixes, but they are not cheap! But you can ask electronics component stores and car electrical shops.

However, I would use that Al-foil.....
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin, 1759
ted

Postby rogerRabbit » Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:50 pm

Originally posted by fartmonger
stricktly for looks

I agree with everything ted said. So why don't you either (a) paint the outside of a cantenna or (b) shroud the cantenna in PVC & paint that?
rogerRabbit

Postby fartmonger » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:49 pm

sounds like thats what i will do. thanx for the replies you guys are great.
fartmonger
Mini Stumbler

Postby fartmonger » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:51 pm

if i go the foil route, how important is the need for it to be smooth? also i found at home depot some alum air duct couplers that look promising.. i will post results later im still waiting on my pigtail.
fartmonger
Mini Stumbler

Postby l0ckd0wn » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:58 am

[quote]Originally posted by fartmonger
if i go the foil route, how important is the need for it to be smooth? also i found at home depot some alum air duct couplers that look promising.. i will post results later im still waiting on my pigtail. [/QUOTE

I'm not certain on this one, but from what I've seen, it's fairly important that the waveguide be a smooth surface. (My conjecture on this is that you'll end up with malformed waves from odd reflections if not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this)
The air duct couplers could work, as long as you can find a flat end cap to fasten to the duct. I'm not sure of the strength of duct coupling, though. Isn't that usually kind of thin? I'd be worried about it getting dented/flattened accidentally.]
l0ckd0wn

Postby fartmonger » Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:46 am

it will be consealed on a pvc tube.
fartmonger
Mini Stumbler

Return to Antennas