dB vs dBi

dB vs dBi

Postby IronNet » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:49 pm

Is it just me or are there more people that are worried about the incresing missuse of dB and dBi.
dBi is a related to a isotrop antenna with a diagram like a circle.

When you write that a yagi or waveguide is 10dB what do you mean... 10dB of what???

Please use the correct terms and this forum will be much more accurat.

I know that several resellers use the wrong unit but I think those resellers are not serious enough to be selling antennas.

If you agree with me or think Iam way of please let me know.

//IronNet from Sweden.
//How secure is secure?
//IronNet
IronNet
Mini Stumbler

Postby TheSovereign » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:36 am

when we say 10 db use your noggin cuz we definately dont mean db of sound. it stems to exactly how anal retentive you are. if it bothers you theirs really nothing u can do cuz i hear people doing that all day. kinda like using the work hacker as a negative term
SO SAYS TheSovereign
TheSovereign

Postby Mr.White » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:32 am

You misspelled accurate.

Normally I wouldn't point that out. Especially to someone who obviously uses English as a second language. So I know your errors are not because you are stupid and lazy, but because it is probably a language you do not use 100% of the time.

So if someone uses an "incorrect term", please do not whine about it since a great majority of the people in here are not HAMs or radio experts.

I know what they mean. They know what they mean. YOU know what they mean. We don't need any self-appointed grammar, spelling, acronym, and terminology police around here. Thank you.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.
Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone.
"Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handey
Mr.White

The meaning

Postby IronNet » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:32 am

What I really mean is that its difficult to know what people mean when they say dB. dB can be so many things like dBw dBm dBi and so on and when people dont specify you cant put any weight in their results...
IronNet
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:02 am

True, but many of the people who come to this site have a hard time just graping the concept of dB in general. Take a look at the FAQ threads, and you see some very simplified answers in there just to get visitors familar with the basics.

Sure I know the difference between dBi, dBm, etc., as I'm sure do Mr. White and others. However, I suspect that any thread going on in depth where the terms where spelled out would probably cause more confusion (and posts of "What are you guys talking about?") than anything else.

Generally, unless someone specifies dBi, dBm, etc. I assume that they mean "dBi." For general discussions (the target audience level), this seems to work well.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to Antennas