internal orinaco antenna question

internal orinaco antenna question

Postby Harv » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:07 pm

I'm looking into my antenna options for wardriving, but until I get something I'm stuck using the internal antenna in my Orinico silver card. So, my obviously newbie question is...does the orientation of the card matter much? In other words, should I leave my laptop flat on the passenger seat (so the card is horizontal) or should I lean it against the seat back (so the card is more or less vertical)?

Thanks. :)
Harv
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:28 pm

From my experience, there is'nt much difference. The signal is generally meant for Horizontal (both on the card and AP) turning it on it's side is good if there's an AP on the floor above you, but it makes you look like a real dork if your trying to work like that.

What I found makes the most difference is the fact that you have a heavy metal door in the way of your signal. Just getting the card above the door to the level of the window can have a decent effect.

All in all, go order yourself a stumbler special from fab-corp or wirelesscentral.net (mine came from fab-corp) and you'll be very happy with the results.
renderman

Postby Eyecannon » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:32 pm

Actually, you will get a better signal if you have your laptop vertical instead of horizontal ;)
No, officer, YOU are under arrest!

http://eyecannon.com/wardrive.html
Eyecannon

Postby hollowing » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:57 pm

Err, does this issue not really depend on the polarisation of the AP's antenna (as a starting point - aside from all the other propagation effects) ?
hollowing

Postby DaClyde » Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:30 pm

Not really. Your biggest concern is just getting the card positioned so the car isn't blocking most of the signals. I sit mine on a milk crate in the passenger's seat, standing on end, since I'm w/o external antenna. That way, the antenna is above the level of the window. If you can stand it with the antenna pointing up, you get the chance for reception from all sides. Otherwise you have the possibility of the laptop itself blocking the signal from that side (especially a really weak signal).
DaClyde

Thanks for the tips

Postby Harv » Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:07 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I like DaClyde's idea of using a milk crate.

I was thinking...I've been stumbling by taking odd routes on my way to work and on my way home. Since I already have my laptop and GPS in a backpack when I go to work, and that backpack has a mesh pocket on it that the GPS can see through, what if I turned on netstumber, put the GPS in the mesh pocket, and then just hung the whole backpack somehow up by the rear window?

I can see how the antenna would have trouble through all the metal, but up higher near the windows, would the backpack material cause any real problem?

I also have a second question. I've heard quite a few people mention the stumbler special from fab-corp and several people have mentioned that there is a discount if I tell them that I heard about it at netstumbler.com. How much is the discount? It looks like the regular price for the 5dbi magmount and the pigtail is $85.95 plus $10 for shipping. What would it be with the discount? (And why does it seem to be a secret?)

Thanks again!
Harv
Mini Stumbler

Re: Thanks for the tips

Postby bufh » Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:23 pm

Originally posted by Harv
I also have a second question. I've heard quite a few people mention the stumbler special from fab-corp and several people have mentioned that there is a discount if I tell them that I heard about it at netstumbler.com. How much is the discount? It looks like the regular price for the 5dbi magmount and the pigtail is $85.95 plus $10 for shipping. What would it be with the discount? (And why does it seem to be a secret?)

Thanks again!

I was wondering the same thing.... looked all throgh fab-corps web page, but cant find any mention of a special.... Trying to find a 5dbi antenna that can be used on a DWL900AP and the pigtail for an Orinoco card....
bufh

Return to Antennas