WAP11 antenna for home

WAP11 antenna for home

Postby James448 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:19 pm

Ok, ive done the search for wap11 like was previously suggested. I found not alot........
So heres what I would like to accomplish and any advice is appeciated.......

I have a 100? foot long ranch house and presently have a WAP11 v1 and get average performance. I would like to move it to a closet in the middle of the house, and would like to boost performance so I dont get any outage at all ( presently I get dropped packets now and then and the AP is out in the open.)

So what antenna or booster or whatever should I get? pigtail? whats that? a converter?
If you can give me a link to a store preferrably in the US..

BTW im using a Xjack 3com NIC, if that matters.

Thanks in advance

PS- i dont see an option in the SNMP util to turn off one antenna ?
James448
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:52 pm

Are you sure of those dimensions? 100' is very large for a ranch type home. To give a correct answer a lot more information would neet to be supplied. Construction type, materials etc.

Additionally, there is no WAP11 v1.0 released to the public to my knowledge. I'm assuming you mean v1.1.

You may not need a different antenna. Take this in steps.
1) Move the WAP11 to the central location, and test it.
2) Try other locations, and test them.
3) In each spot, try the built in antennae with both vertical, both horizontal and one in each position. Note what works best in all areas of the house.
3) If the performance is still inadaquete in all the areas you need to reach, then choose the best performing location, and thenadd an antenna.

A 4.5 dB to 5.5 dB omni would probably do OK. You will need a RP-TNC female to N male cable. You don't need a pigtail.

You cannot turn off one of the antenna ports in the SNMP utility in WAP11 v1.1. To do that you need the advanced Amtel SNMP utility.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Change the Xjack 3com NIC

Postby MarcusJClifford » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:14 am

I would suggest changing your Xjack 3com NIC for a better one - e.g. Orinoco Gold or Cisco 352 range.

Range / Recieve Sensitivity is much better etc.

I have the 3COM Xjack and an Orinoco Gold card and everytime in every situation the Orinoco is better.
Orinoco Gold, Mobile Mark 5 DBi Mag Mount, Belkin WAP, 4x D-Link 1500 WAP / Bridges, 2x 24Dbi Parabolics, 1 12Db Omnidirectional.
MarcusJClifford

Postby James448 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:04 pm

Yes im sure its near 100 ft. I got a gutter estimate about 2 months ago just for the back and it was measured.
Wap is 1.1 not 1, just saving typing, i knew youd understand.

Ok now to the important stuff.

Im getting my house wired for other stuff next week ( xbox, move server, move wap, wifes workstation) and am moving alot of stuff inside a central closet. The WAP is near the outside of that now and thats where im getting the somewhat poor performance.

I Dont have many other choices, besides sitting it on the kitchen counter....boss wont have that.

House is typical house, wood framed with drywall. outside is brick.
I dont care about the cost, I just want good performance.

So where can I get a 4.5 DB omni? and this Amtel util?

Also, id rather not trade in the Xjack, I love the hideaway feature.

PS- should I just get the new linksys booster instead?

Thanks
James448
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:40 pm

If you're running Cat5, what about putting a run up to the attic? I've put in a couple like that; it generally works well. With few or no interior partitions to obstruct it, the signal gets out a little better.

A good 4.5dB at a good price is at Superpass.com; but you will need the Atmel utility, because you need to shut off diversity. To find the utility, search the these forums and web for the "WAP11 hack." (The power boost hack.) The same utility is used to set the antenna diversity.

I've not used the Linksys amp, they're so new I haven't gotten one. On the surface, it makes a lot of sense. You don't have to change anything, swap the antennae and two cables and you've got 10dB gain. No worries about diversity, no special cables, etc.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby James448 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:31 pm

Thorn,
I was thinking about the Attic thing before, but I was afraid of the heat in the summer?.
I live in Atlanta, GA and it gets mid 90s in August which means about 130degrees in the attic.
Is this to hot?

Also, can I assume this 10db gain of the booster is better than the 4.5 db gain of a new antenna? ( dont laugh, hehe)

Thanks
James448
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:12 pm

Check the Linksys website for the operating specs. It may be on the upper end of the range.

I can tellyo that we went through two heat waves of high nineties here in Vermont last spring and summer. My personal WAP11 which is attic mounted never missed a beat. One heat wave was one week and the other was close to two weeks.

Yes, 10dB gain from the amp, vs. 4.5 from the antenna.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby razta » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:13 pm

It should handle the 130 ok. Linksys's site wont deliver the PDF's to me right now for some unknown reason.

You could mount one of these ceiling mount antennas in your house too to help:
Maxrad 5.5 dBi Ceiling Mount Omni Antenna

Michelangelo series Ceiling mount Omni Antenna. Covers 2400 to 2485 MHz with a VSWR of less than 1.5:1. Optimized radiation pattern focuses energy where it is needed while suppressing upper and lower sidelobe energy.

* R-TNC Male Pigtail (N Male, N Female available on request)
* VSWR < 1.5:1
* Drop ceiling grid mount (included)
* 10" X 2" X 2"

Regular Price: $ 79.00
Your Price: $ 54.95

You can get it at http://www.fab-corp.com

Superpass has great prices too, but do they have a U.S. based office yet?
<><><><><><><><><><><>
Razta
razta

Postby James448 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:37 pm

Thorn,"Yes, 10dB gain from the amp, vs. 4.5 from the antenna"

So I think we've finalized on the booster being better than an antenna and sticking it in the attic will be just fine?

Sounds good to me, nice and easy.

Thanks for everyones help, I'll keep you posted on how it works out!
James448
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:43 pm

Originally posted by razta
...Superpass has great prices too, but do they have a U.S. based office yet?

AFAIK, they are still just in Canada, but this has never been a problem.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Veloslave » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:25 am

I just got my booster in today 1/15/03 and it did make a pretty significant difference. Now to answer your next question :rolleyes: SORRY, I'm so new to 802.11b that I did nothing other than get frustrated with the WAP11 performance and found the booster and bought it.

I haven't actually measured out how much further I can go now but I do know I won't have to pick the Laptop up and hold it in the air for this to post ;)
Rod ><>

My boss is a Jewish Carpenter and one heck of a great guy, you should meet him!
Veloslave
Mini Stumbler

Postby razta » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:44 am

Are you using a Orinoco card with your linksys AP?
I would be curious to know what your -dBm is after installing the booster.

Anyone check out the Linksys booster against a spectrum anaylzer? I remember when the 100mw mod was done, the linksys seemed to bleed into other channels...
<><><><><><><><><><><>
Razta
razta

Postby Veloslave » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:26 am

I'm using a Symbol CF Spectrum 24 wireless networker. not know for its strong signal I guess... but it at least works for both PC and PPC in the CF form factor.

If you would like I can check something for you but you might need to describe the procedure.
Rod ><>

My boss is a Jewish Carpenter and one heck of a great guy, you should meet him!
Veloslave
Mini Stumbler

Postby razta » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:06 pm

Unfortunately, i have never used the Symbol card. =(
<><><><><><><><><><><>
Razta
razta

Return to Antennas