Postby Eyecannon » Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:55 am

Had a good night tonight here in LA:

:D

ORiNOCO Gold + Fab-corp Magmount
No, officer, YOU are under arrest!

http://eyecannon.com/wardrive.html
Eyecannon

Postby blackwave » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:43 am

Great Job! You are making me reconsider going up to LA and wardriving there... I just really hate LA, but it looks sweet as honey from your map.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby astcell » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:12 am

I think a preize ought to go to whoever drives for 60 feet and doesn't pick up an AP in LA. :D
astcell

Postby bufh » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:26 am

Dont forget Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena.....

[I would....but my GPS died so..... no posiitons...]
bufh

Postby Eyecannon » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:41 am

Originally posted by bufh
Dont forget Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena.....

[I would....but my GPS died so..... no posiitons...]

When we went to Pasadena, we actually didn't find THAT many... but I'm sure there's tons all over LA metroplex. With an estimated 16-17 million AP's in the US, LA has to have at least 1-2 million or more.

Eyecannon

Postby hratch » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:00 pm

now you're getting it! :)

i gotta cruise around next week and pick off some b4 you do! :)
hratch

Postby Wombat » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:42 pm

While you're on the Fwy, head north, up to Ventura County. While on vacation I did a cruise through my old stomping ground up there. I only went as far north as Camarillo, but just from the 101 Fwy, the AP's were loud and proud. There also appears to be some kind of WISP/AP network running in Camarillo.
Wombat
Mini Stumbler

Postby Eyecannon » Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:34 am

whoa! I just made this one of all the files I had in linux, it's 6500-something... check out that HYUGE network! That is LAbridge.com

http://wardrive.eyecannon.com/circfull.png

Eyecannon

Postby blackwave » Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:59 am

yeah there is something similar in Orange County, a wireless network that serves a large community, whilst driving one of the toll roads we noticed that the same SSID was active for about 5 miles.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby tabasco » Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:30 am

This post my be better suited under the forum “Nokia calls war chalkers thieves”
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4095

Anyhow, Like you all, I have a few “gcap” AP in Tucson that can be heard over several miles. So far I have seen gcap1, gcap2, gcap3, and gcap14. They are all running Nokia hardware, at least that’s what NS says and have WEP OFF!!! With a little bit of probing there are no machines attached to the system as of yet, that I can see/find.

Is the beginning of a Nokia based, poorly secured Gen2 Wireless web?

No wonder Nokia is so bent about WarChalkers…They can’t even right the manual on they own equipment to secure the darn stuff…

Anyone know more?
tabasco

Postby Eyecannon » Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:49 pm

Originally posted by tabasco
This post my be better suited under the forum “Nokia calls war chalkers thieves”
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4095

Anyhow, Like you all, I have a few “gcap” AP in Tucson that can be heard over several miles. So far I have seen gcap1, gcap2, gcap3, and gcap14. They are all running Nokia hardware, at least that’s what NS says and have WEP OFF!!! With a little bit of probing there are no machines attached to the system as of yet, that I can see/find.

Is the beginning of a Nokia based, poorly secured Gen2 Wireless web?

No wonder Nokia is so bent about WarChalkers…They can’t even right the manual on they own equipment to secure the darn stuff…

Anyone know more?

Well, it's nearly impossible to have WEP on or MAC filtering on for a super-largescale network... Especially since the more network activity, the faster the WEP can be cracked, and it's a bitch to hand out/change WEP keys to thousands of users. Chances are, if you got an IP address from that WLAN, and started a web browser, you'd see it's like the Starbucks tmobile where you are taken to a login webpage only, where you must log in, then you get sent to the "real" server only after you provide a password. Again, not nearly totally secure, but there is a tradeoff between security and ease of use.

Eyecannon

Postby blackwave » Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:59 pm

perhaps in the future people could be issued smart card based tokens to interface via serial or another type of interface. I would love to do that on my iPAQ. ;) where one would walk into a coffee place and pick up a token at the cashier and use it, then turn it back in or have it expire on a certain day or time ;) I am quite familiar with these type of systems ;)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby astcell » Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:21 pm

Quick thought: Have a prize or recognition for the person or persons who pick up the largest number of APs per 100,000 population. In other words, finding 10 APs in a town of 3,000 is a better deal than finding 1000 APs in a town of 3,000,000 (ratios of 1:300 verses 1:300000). I guess we can use census data to track the city sizes.
astcell

Postby blackwave » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:04 pm

Originally posted by astcell
Quick thought: Have a prize or recognition for the person or persons who pick up the largest number of APs per 100,000 population.

What prize are you offering ? :D
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby astcell » Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:15 am

Getting to hang out with me is a prize. :cool:
astcell

Next

Return to AP Information