Blank SSID's

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Blank SSID's

Postby Twisted » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:28 pm

Good news for stumblers, it appears the new lucent radios will still transmit an SSID consisiting of a null character when broadcast SSID is disabled.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:46 pm

Even if you are using something like Kismet that reads the packets, or only that reads the ap broadcast like NS?
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Twisted » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:58 pm

Kismet will still work as always, but NS/MS will now pick up the new radios, just with a blank SSID, even when no broadcast SSID is checked.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby NinjaPablo » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:56 pm

Where did you come across this information? Seems it would defeat the purpose of disabling SSID broadcast.
NinjaPablo

Postby Twisted » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:08 pm

I work for a company that makes industrial access points, and deal with the engineers on a daily basis.

I agree up to a point, you still can't try to associate with the access point, but on the other hand everyone knows it''s out there.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby DaClyde » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:11 pm

I can confirm that of the AP-600's that we use. If you choose the "Closed system" option, it just broadcasts a blank SSID rather than turning it off.
DaClyde

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:49 pm

I would definitely agree. I would rather have it not broadcast at all rather than broadcast a blank SSID. This means that anyone with windows XP detects that there is an AP there, even if they don't know what the SSID is. In any case Kismet defeats the whole purpose of disabling the broadcast SSID.

But than again, how many people really drive around with a laptop with Kismet trying to detect APs. ;)

I work for a company that makes industrial access points, and deal with the engineers on a daily basis.

Please send some my way ;)
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Twisted » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:57 pm

I agree, driving around in a car with a laptop, why thats nothing but dang foolishness. Only hippies do that.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:59 pm

Originally posted by Twisted
I agree, driving around in a car with a laptop, why thats nothing but dang foolishness. Only hippies do that.

You probably don't want to say that here.
King_Ice_Flash

Re: Blank SSID's

Postby Thorn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:04 pm

Good news for stumblers, it appears the new lucent radios will still transmit an SSID consisiting of a null character when broadcast SSID is disabled.

This isn't new. The old Lucent radios do exactly the same thing. Take a look here, this was the last time it was discussed: http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8203&highlight=lucent
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Twisted » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:21 pm

OK the hippy comment is a "JOKE" take a look at my stumbling rig, it;s the only conclusion you could come to.

As far as getting any spare AP's I wish. Have been there 2 years and have YET to come up with as much as an engineering prototype.

Tablet PC's, antenna, cable, access to testing equiptment, that I have done. One of the perks is going through the recycle boxes that service uses.

I have a guy in service that brings me pigtails off of dead antennas, have a whole drawer full of them.

First I could'nt find them, now I have more than I could ever use.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby nashr » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:52 am

Okay, so you're going to open up your eBay business when??? Seriously, if you have legitimate access to this sort of equipment, there's a TON of us that would love to pick some up at reasonable prices! hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink! ;)

Tablet PC's, antenna, cable, access to testing equiptment, that I have done. One of the perks is going through the recycle boxes that service uses.

I have a guy in service that brings me pigtails off of dead antennas, have a whole drawer full of them.

First I could'nt find them, now I have more than I could ever use.
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Postby Twisted » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:51 pm

Sorry, most of the good stuff gets taken quickly, but I can get my hands on the lucent connectors.
Attachments
connectors.jpg
connectors.jpg (33.03 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

DLink AP

Postby mastershake » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:24 pm

My D Link 900AP+ exhibits some strange behavior when used with a D-Link wireless card. The SSID broadcast is disabled but I can still pick it up using NS with a d-link card. My Orinoco classic gold will not pick up the SSID however.

I have wondered if this is an issue with D-Link or NS, but I am not really sure.

mastershake
mastershake
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information