Combined WiFi Bridge and Router?

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Combined WiFi Bridge and Router?

Postby sparafina » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:54 am

Here's my my harebrained idea. I've been looking at the Vonage VoIP box to use when I'm traveling, because cell reception can be spotty at best and I'm usually staying at a place with broadband access.

Now I can hook the Vonage box up to a wired router, but in some places broadband is only available via WiFI.

So I'm looking for WiFI router that can also bridge. I there such a beast or will I have to just hang a WET11 (or other bridge) off a router?
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:48 am

Neat idea, sparafina!. I've had a thought in the back of my mind as to whether someone could combine VoIP/Vonnage/WiFi.

Anyway, Check out the specs on the the Linkys wireless routers (BEFS4W11.) I think they will bridge too, but it may only be to a other Linksys unit. The WET11 would do it though.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby sparafina » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:40 am

Originally posted by Thorn
Anyway, Check out the specs on the the Linkys wireless routers (BEFS4W11.) I think they will bridge too, but it may only be to a other Linksys unit. The WET11 would do it though.

The whole Vonage thing is pretty cool. What got me interested is that expats are buying these things and friends and family can call them as if it were a local call. My overseas cell phone bills can get awful.

I actually use a BEFS4W11 just as an AP, which is overkill for what it can do. I've got a spare USR 2450 clone (it was $30, at Frys) to try bridging on.

I was thinking that it would be kinda neat to link to a hotspot and pull out an regular telephone with a good headset. Kinda like a 21st century bag phone. :D
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:03 pm

Well, a little research and futzin has lead me to conclude, the following:

No bridging capabilities on the BEFS4W11.

The USR2450 clone could be made into a bridge by flashing it with OpenAP, but the cost of the SRAM card is well on its way to the price of a WET11.

So a WET11 it is.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information