Have a DI-614+? 1 screen shot needed.

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Have a DI-614+? 1 screen shot needed.

Postby tomjones » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:44 am

Hello,

I have a friend with the DI-614+. I've been trying to explain to him how to disable the SSID broadcast. I looked all over for a screen shot (or explanation) on how to disable SSID broadcast for this AP. If someone has the AP, could you please post a screenshot of the config page where SSID can be disabled? It would be a great help. He is not close so I can't just run over to his house to check it out...never played with that firmware either.

Thanks again for the help.
tomjones
Mini Stumbler

Re: Have a DI-614+? 1 screen shot needed.

Postby blackwave » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:21 am

Originally posted by tomjones
I have a friend with the DI-614+. I've been trying to explain to him how to disable the SSID broadcast. I looked all over for a screen shot (or explanation) on how to disable SSID broadcast for this AP. If someone has the AP, could you please post a screenshot of the config page where SSID can be disabled?

You don't need to have the AP, you can download the manual from DLinks support site:
http://support.dlink.com/downloads/
for:
http://www.dlink.com/products/digitalHome/wireless/11b+/di614+/

From what I recall Dlink does not support this option. Check for updated firmware.
Attachments
dlink2.jpg
dlink2.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
-=BW=-
blackwave

Re: Re: Have a DI-614+? 1 screen shot needed.

Postby kurtronics » Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:31 am

Originally posted by blackwave

From what I recall Dlink does not support this option. Check for updated firmware.

I can confirm blackwave's post....I have a DI-614+ and it does not give you the option to turn off SSID Bcast. The firmware to date has not added this feature.

I just run WEP and watch my activity logs closely for the abnormal..

KTX
kurtronics
Mini Stumbler

Postby tomjones » Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:40 am

i also called d-link. they said no go with disabling broadcast. thanks for your replies.
tomjones
Mini Stumbler

I also have a 614+

Postby Facekhan » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:49 pm

It is unfortunately a feature they overlooked. If you are not using wireless I recomend using a different router. One thing you can do is activiate the 256 bit encryption. Most card utilities don't support it as far as I know. You can also put in mac address filtering and firewall setting to block all outgoing traffic from unspecified mac addresses. Turning off DHCP and setting the network address on the lan side to something ununusual would be helpful as well.

Also do not upgrade the firmware to 2.0f becuase it removes the option to generate a wep key from a password and makes things a pain in the ass.
Facekhan
Facekhan
Mini Stumbler

Re: I also have a 614+

Postby blackwave » Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:05 pm

Originally posted by Facekhan
One thing you can do is activiate the 256 bit encryption.

Remember if you intend on using 256-bit RC4 WEP your AP and Client must both support this feature (i.ei. D-Link AirPlus Enhanced 2.4GHz Wireless CardBus Adapter, if you have an ORiNOCO Gold, the WEP would fail because the OG only has 64/128 RC4 )
-=BW=-
blackwave

Re: Re: I also have a 614+

Postby stonent » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:53 pm

Originally posted by blackwave

Remember if you intend on using 256-bit RC4 WEP your AP and Client must both support this feature (i.ei. D-Link AirPlus Enhanced 2.4GHz Wireless CardBus Adapter, if you have an ORiNOCO Gold, the WEP would fail because the OG only has 64/128 RC4 )

Also USR-2210 and SMC has a card. From what I can tell only TI ACX100 cards support this. I have not seen any prism cards or others that can do it yet.
http://home.attbi.com/~stonent
Get the most out of your Dell laptop Biatch!
stonent

Postby Psiphere » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:27 pm

Hello boys and girls,

I have a DI-614+ and I just downloaded a firmware upgrade off D-Link's site (v2.03 - it's pretty new) and this gives you the "disabled SSID broadcast" feature.

It's located under Advanced > Performance
Psiphere
Mini Stumbler

Postby kurtronics » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:09 am

Originally posted by Psiphere
Hello boys and girls,

I have a DI-614+ and I just downloaded a firmware upgrade off D-Link's site (v2.03 - it's pretty new) and this gives you the "disabled SSID broadcast" feature.

It's located under Advanced > Performance

Sweet !! Thanks for the info Psiphere !!
KTX
kurtronics
Mini Stumbler

Bump...

Postby totalstranger » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:46 am

Bumping this thread in order not to start an entirely new one.

I'm considering this router, but there's one important thing I'm confused about. I've read conflicting reports on its MAC address filtering. I know for a fact that is has filtering options for internet access, but does it have the capability to disallow connections to the AP itself through MAC filters? I've read that it has, and that it hasn't. I just want to clarify for my sake....because it's a fairly important security measure to me....given the weaknesses of WEP.

TIA for any input.
totalstranger
Mini Stumbler

Postby Psiphere » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:05 pm

What exactly do you mean filter from the AP itself?

It can filter MAC addresses from anything else that has a MAC address. But I'm not sure what you mean but the AP itself.
Psiphere
Mini Stumbler

Postby totalstranger » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:03 pm

Some wireless access points allow you to restrict connections to it via MAC address. Meaning, if a computer that has a MAC that isn't listed tries to connect to the AP, it will be denied.

There's also another type of filtering that involves internet access. You can limit computers on your LAN access to the internet by MAC address filtering as well.

Two different filtering techniques, and I know for sure this particular router contains the latter. However, I'm more interested in the former. I've read some reports that it has both, and others that say otherwise. I'm not sure if it's due to different firmware versions or not, because there's no mention on D-Link's website....which really doesn't mean that it can't.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing....heh.
totalstranger
Mini Stumbler

Postby gilby » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:11 pm

yes it does , im using firmware 2.10
gilby
Mini Stumbler

Postby billfinnie » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:44 pm

yes the DI-614+'s MAC filtering only allows the MAC addresses on the list to have access to the LAN and Internet Access. You have to reboot/power cycle the router after creating the list for it to take full effect and keep other MAC addresses from accessing your LAN.

(make sure you have the MAC address of the PC you are configuring from to the list before restarting the router, otherwise you will be locked out after you press apply changes.)
I made that mistake and kicked myself for it.
billfinnie
Mini Stumbler

Postby totalstranger » Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I put this one on top of my list for 802.11b APs because it's a little faster than the rest. Out of experience for those who own this......what's range like, and what cards are you using to achieve the range you're getting?
totalstranger
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information