Intermec and Teklogix AP's

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Intermec and Teklogix AP's

Postby Florida » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:43 am

Fellow Stumblers,

I have run across a few Intermec and Teklogix AP's recently.

I have little if any information concerning these two AP's.

Does anyone have any experience with these two AP's with respect to their default setups.

In addition do these two AP's have specific features that would lend themselves to a particular type of business.

I do know the Teklogix devices can act as a dhcp server.

Thanks in advance.

Florida.
Florida
Mini Stumbler

Teklogix in Florida

Postby fitzStewart » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:19 am

Teklogix AP's don't have any dhcp functions, but if there is one on the network, if you successfully attach to the AP you will be assigned an ip address.
Where did you find the Teklogix & Intermec units? This is industrial hardware, not home or office use stuff.
fitzStewart

Postby Florida » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:31 am

Fitz,

I found the Teklogix and Intermec AP's industrial complexes...

The Teklogix device was located in a major moving companies office.

I haven't been able to pin point where the Intermec devices were...

The business nearest to where I had the strongest signal said they weren't using wireless devices....
Florida
Mini Stumbler

Not specifically true but...

Postby jeffrowe » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:52 pm

Alot of times you will find Ap's named KBM and INTERMEC... alot of the time these are WMS systems... warehouse management. Alot of the companies use these systems and either put them on thier own seperate Network (seperate from the main network) or they block all but the needed traffic from this segment of the LAN.

I see them all over and allot of the companies i see them happen to use this same system... but not all of them are as secure...

wouldnt even knwo this if my own compnay didnt use it too...
-Jeffrowe
jeffrowe
Mini Stumbler

Intermec in FL

Postby Thunderforge » Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:32 pm

I've run across an Intermec in St. Petersburg. I believe it was by a local manufacturing plant. I'm not positive though, will have to retrace my logs to see where else I was at that time (no GPS yet :()
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Intermec

Postby nirosys » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:43 pm

I was wondering the meaning of intermec just recently... I stumbled accross an AP with SSID of INTERMEC near Newark airport.. :) surprisingly... heh.. no wep..

Very interesting.. Thanks :)
*makes a note*
-nirosys
Sniffing Packets Like They Were Crack.
nirosys

Postby HcRUL » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:54 pm

Intermec Wi-Fi Toys

You will find intermec access points in industrial areas. They supply wireless handheld computing devices used in warehouses and fulfillment centers.

HcRUL
HcRUL
Mini Stumbler

Intermec & Teklogix

Postby fitzStewart » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:17 am

An interesting thing I've found out about these access points is that the earlier versions of them used budget wireless cards from Lucent (original Lucent WaveLan blue cards!) that were incapable of WEP! That's why in some cases you're finding no encryption - they can't run it even if they wanted to!
fitzStewart

Postby Fozzy_wozzy_woo » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:38 am

I worked for intermec .. an belive it or not they were the very first company to have accesspoints .... they hold the Patent for duel radios accesspoints.

Thaey are one one of the best accesspoints on the market to day.. but the old ones suck but the good thing is that you can upgrade the accesspoint to the latest firmaware revision which will then give you one of the most secure accesspoints on the market.

Cisco wanted to buy Intermec but they didnt want to buy the barcode side of it... so they dropped the idea.... if you see any access points with the SSID as INTERMEC then it hasnt een setup for a secure network

username = Intermec
password = Intermec
ssid = Intermec

LOL

I have just added a article of how to install and upgrade an Intermec accesspoint..

oh ya Intermec accesspoints turn Silver orinoco cards into gold cards...... hah hhahahhaa ahah aha
Fozzy_wozzy_woo
Mini Stumbler

Postby michaelp » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:18 am

i find lots of intermec and techlogiks also. Aiming from the top on a hill down onto the industial part of town, I picked up 13 teklogiks and 3 mecs.. this is in Tacoma, WA
michaelp

Postby Fozzy_wozzy_woo » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:27 am

the reason why they are in industrial sites is that the Internec access points and techlogic accesspoints all work with wireless barcode scanners.

companies like cisco, 3com, lynksys ect.. are not able to run barcode software and scanners over them. getting a normal computer to work over a wirelss network is easy but trying to get one that is having to run a full time DB program, subnet roaming, handover and ip tunneling all at the same time is hard to work...

so most places that you will find Itermec accesspoints will be warehouses, distributers, military complexes, hospitals, some hotels, retail. but due to hand held PDA's doing more of the jobs that barcode scanners can do and barcode scanners going the way of PDA's i think you will see more poor quality access points moving into these areas.
Fozzy_wozzy_woo
Mini Stumbler

Postby michaelp » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:02 am

thanks for the info
michaelp

Postby fitzStewart » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:33 am

Originally posted by Fozzy_wozzy_woo
I worked for intermec .. an belive it or not they were the very first company to have accesspoints .... they hold the Patent for duel radios accesspoints.

Not quite.....

The dual radio ap was a creation of Norand, not Intermec. Intermec got the patent when they bought out Norand.

And you are able to run the hand held terminals on other backbones. I have done several installs with Teklogix terminals running over Cisco ap's, it's just a matter of whether the application on the host is set up for the terminals.
fitzStewart

Postby Fozzy_wozzy_woo » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:55 am

Correct about the norand ... but norand is no more. i worked for norand / intermec when it all happened . and it was the norand 6710 accesspoint that had the duel radio.

you could have the 802.11wlf radio with the 900mhz or the SUHF radios. or a combination of the systems.

the general term that cisco will not work with the systems a whole general field of things. what i was saying was cisco will not work with barcode sanners when you need to perform ip tunneling or cross subnet hand overs. yes they will work as a local installation but not accross several subnets where truck drivers from the same company would visit several branches. in 1 day of so on...

also the cisco accesspoint will not work with the current 802.11wlf radio and 802.11b radios so when it comes time to migrate the network the cisco accesspoint will not be able to do this.

then at the end of the sentance i said as technology is getting better other brands will be able to work with industrial equipment as the specific loging and protocols details are no longer needed.

i dont wan to go into protocols and whaat each access point will d as its old news and we need to look to the future and whats going to happen.

like Win CE devices working with xml or pocket pc 2002, linux hand held systems. .net .asp, Gprs, 3g 802.11b to cdma handover.

and the questionis who is going to be first there!! ( cisco) as they have the money!!! ad every one will have to do as cisco says..... oh wouldnt it be some thing if MS bought Cisco???
Fozzy_wozzy_woo
Mini Stumbler

cisco

Postby wirelesssguru » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:33 pm

I was going to say that was Norand and was acquired when intermec bought them. As for the CISCO buying Intermec. I don't think that was completly accurate either. Aironet was cheaper and right up there ally for what CISCO wanted to do... I think the intermec merger / buy out was hype....
wirelesssguru
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to AP Information