just got a pair of dwl-2000ap's

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

just got a pair of dwl-2000ap's

Postby kmitchel46787 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:36 pm

Just got a pair of dlink dwl-2000ap's, they've been on backorder for the past month and a half. Cool little gadgets. I was suprised by their small size, looked a lot bigger in the picture. Overall I'm very happy with it. I got it because it does point to point and multipoint bridging. Has a reverse sma external ant., and an internal ant. (once I looked inside). Might be a good candidate for POE. Cheesy web interface, and really cheesy ap manager software. My only complaint is the lack of signal quality monitoring. Only thing it shows is good and dropped tx/rx packets. Portscan only shows port 80 open, I was hoping for at least snmp. Oh well, maybe in a firmware update. Trying to set this up for a long distance link will be a pain. As soon as I can get a revers sma male to male n-type adapter, I'm going to try for a 1 mile link with a pair of 15db yagi's. Anyhow I think there a good buy, if you can get them.
kmitchel46787
Mini Stumbler

Postby Taxi » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:59 pm

Could you tell me what make of the radio is?
Is it Atheros or a Intersil or some other?

Also what is the FCC ID?

Thanks
adam
Taxi
Mini Stumbler

Postby kmitchel46787 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:31 pm

fcc id:ka25212g

the radio module has a chip marked atheros can't make out the part number, the module is marked gl5254mp-0a0
kmitchel46787
Mini Stumbler

Postby Novilio » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:13 am

That's the D-Link "draft-G" access point. The danger with those (and we don't know how much a danger it may be yet) is that when the final 802.11g standard is released, it may take more than a firmware upgrade to make the device comply.

D-Link APs are good for bridging; I have a pair of DWL-900AP+ units that bridged without a struggle, and gave me 6 Mbps throughput (vs. 4 for straight 802.11b units) which in bridging is very useful. I would be very intererested in hearing your measured throughput once you get a bridge configuration together there. I'm waiting for tri-standard hardware to shake out a little, but then the whole network gets an upgade.

BTW, D-Link has a very effective PoE kit. For $30 you get an injector and a tap and a wall wart power source. As best I know, all of the current D-Link APs can use the D-Link PoE product, which is the DWL-P100. I used it when I set up a D-Link bridge back in Arizona. The photo below shows my end of the bridge: A D-Link DWL-900AP+ with PoE, in a 30 caliber ammo can. It worked really well, tho I was worried how well the unit would survive an Arizona summer. I moved to Colorado recently (the bridge came with) and now I'll never know.

Good luck with it, and please let us know how your bridge works and what your measured throughput turns out to be.

--73--

--Novilio
Attachments
enclosedapmounted.jpg
enclosedapmounted.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Novilio

Postby peekitty » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:04 am

Very nice work, Novilio. Ammo cans are brilliant for that kind of thing, and provide a nice ground path:) What was the distance of your link?
peekitty

Postby Novilio » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:32 am

Originally posted by peekitty
Very nice work, Novilio. Ammo cans are brilliant for that kind of thing, and provide a nice ground path:) What was the distance of your link?

Many thanks. I love making things. The can worked brilliantly, and I recommend them for bridge housings. The 30 caliber size is small for anything bigger than a D-Link AP; for bigger units the 50 caliber size might be easier to cram with all the rest of the necessary components and cables. Ammo cans are cheap, rugged, and (at least until you drill holes in them) not only waterproof but airtight. This one cost me $4 at some surplus place in Phoenix.

There's a whole chapter in my book about bridging, with more photos of this unit and the technique I used to set it up.

As for the link distance, I tested it several times at several distances, the last to a friend's house about .8 mile away. I was intending to test it to a portable setup on the top of Lone Mountain, about two miles east of me, but we decided to move and I ran out of time. I'd have to calculate the link budget again, but my guesstimate is that this particular lashup should work out to at least three or four miles with a clear fresnel zone.

Below is a somewhat muddy photo of the interior of the unit.

--73--

--Novilio
Attachments
ammocaninteriorcloseup.jpg
ammocaninteriorcloseup.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Novilio

Postby gmiller220 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:43 pm

Originally posted by Novilio
Many thanks. I love making things. The can worked brilliantly, and I recommend them for bridge housings. The 30 caliber size is small for anything bigger than a D-Link AP; for bigger units the 50 caliber size might be easier to cram with all the rest of the necessary components and cables. Ammo cans are cheap, rugged, and (at least until you drill holes in them) not only waterproof but airtight. This one cost me $4 at some surplus place in Phoenix.

There's a whole chapter in my book about bridging, with more photos of this unit and the technique I used to set it up.

As for the link distance, I tested it several times at several distances, the last to a friend's house about .8 mile away. I was intending to test it to a portable setup on the top of Lone Mountain, about two miles east of me, but we decided to move and I ran out of time. I'd have to calculate the link budget again, but my guesstimate is that this particular lashup should work out to at least three or four miles with a clear fresnel zone.

Below is a somewhat muddy photo of the interior of the unit.

--73--

--Novilio

Very nice setup. Might have to set one of those up with an omni sometime so that I can have coverage over my whole "compound". Nice to know what exactly to get seeing how I have the dwl-900.
gmiller220

Return to AP Information