Load-balancing questions and search didnt yield a whole lot

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Load-balancing questions and search didnt yield a whole lot

Postby GossipNinja » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:42 pm

ok heres my fantastic pic
my question is, how would i have all the pcs be able to utilize all the available bandwidth (3 cable modems) i know id prob need a load balancing box ( either hardwired or thru some linux box or whatever im open to suggestion.) anyway, i want to have any request from any internal network spider out over the 3 modms for maximum bandwidht. now in the illustration i have a bridge, i might be able to get by with high gain ants, my question is, can this be done, i know typically load balancing is is from 2 modems in one box, hardwired. can this be achieves with wireless connections to the modems. i want to pretty much have my pc use the 3 modems to rock newsgroups and get something like 4mbits of bandwidth, and my newserver will only see 1.5 coming from each source so they wont know its one user and throttle down cuz its from 3 mac addys. also i want to have all the internal network mesh into one for multigame play and fillesharing.
anyhelp as always my droogs your help and knowledge in appreciated.
GossipNinja
Mini Stumbler

Postby gmiller220 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:56 pm

One slight flaw with this is that you can only be connected to ONE ap at a time not all three at once. So to get this to work you would have to (like you metioned) connect the three connections to a special loadbalancing router or linux box. Then run ethernet to all the aps (or use your bridge).

One thing on loadbalancing though you will not get 4.5mb of transfer. You will get three 1.5mb connections. The difference being though that the router/linux will monitor the connections and when one get's heavy it will throw the next connection over to one of the other lines. This means that you could download three files at 1.5mb per file not all at 4.5mb. You will notice the faster internet though (one user is downloading from connection 1, another is getting his email on 2, and you are browsing on 3). Cheers.
gmiller220

Postby agentgrn » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:30 am

Users like you are a bane to the existance of anyone else using a network. ;) Then again, it depends on how well-segmented your neighborhood is.

Anyway, gmiller hits a point about the limitations of flows. At the very least, you'd need a box with 4 NICs available and you'd also need NAT software that would be intelligent enough to loadshare over three public IPs. Not sure if something like that exists for Linux or not...
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Postby Madhadder » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:24 am

I'm sure it does somewhere...If it doesn't then sombody will
code it sometime soon....If all else fails and you got some $$$
to throw away there's always Cisco..:D

Check outer thier Local Directors and Load Balancers...
Madhadder

Postby agentgrn » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:35 pm

Local directors generally aren't used for aggregating inbound-originating network traffic. Most often, they're placed in bunch of a cluster of webservers so traffic to one IP can get balanced appropriately.

There was a shitty device called a WebRamp which was popular about 5 years ago because it did exactly what GN described...but it would balance over three modems.

I don't know if there's been a need to port something similar over to *nix...most people that really need anything above a cable modem usually colo their boxen.
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Postby GossipNinja » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:11 am

i was just watching the screen savers and they showed a linux distro called "meshbox" at http://www.locustworld.com and from what they said, it would appear it might do what i want. Ill hopefully get around to playing with it and see what happens. thanks guys for the info.
GossipNinja
Mini Stumbler

Postby agentgrn » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:30 am

Make sure to let us know how the Meshbox thing turns out. :)
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Return to AP Information