Need help with linksys BEFW115S4 v2

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Need help with linksys BEFW115S4 v2

Postby froggie » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:23 am

I have a larger two story house, and currently have a linksys BEFW11S4 v2 with a cable modem as internet access source.
My kids lap tops came with built in wireless access, but they are only able to receive a usable signal about 40 feet from the AP.
We tried getting a linksys wireless card, but that didn't help.
We tried the Booster linksys sells but it might have improved the signal to 41 feet. I know the box claims of 150 - 300 feet are bogus, but shouldn't it do better than 40 feet? There is only two walls between the AP and the 40 feet distance.
Running hard wire throughout the house is an expensive option and defeats the purpose of the wireless system - I thought about running a powerline adapter from the router to the electric plug, then at another location in the house plugging in another powerline adapter and attach that to a WAP54G access point, so the signal could originate from multiple locations in the house, but no one who sells these things (AP's) will tell me if that will work, or if the powerline has too much interference. And no store around here sells them anymore (did they not work? - or were they just slow sellers ?) Finally, would a different antenna be the best option? If so, what kind?
Thanks for any opinions...I need to get this system running by the time school starts!
froggie
Mini Stumbler

linksys

Postby froggie » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:25 am

That should be Linksys BEFW11S4 v2!!
ethernet wireless access point and cable/DSL router with 4 port switch.
froggie
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:46 am

The BEFW11S4 v2 may be defective. I would suggest taking it back to the store for a second unit. However, if adding the WSB11 didn't show a great impovement in the signal, then it is likely that the construction of your house precludes using wireless. Many materials will block 2.4GHz signals, including but not limited to brick, stone, foil-wrapped insulation, metallic screening used in some walls, and "E rated" glass.

The box claims are not "bogus", but will vary greatly depending on what is between the AP and the wireless card. This is due to the nature of 2.4GHz radio. Just to prove this, I've used one of these units in an unmodified state over 300 ft. A sister unit (Linksys WAP11v1.1) with a 4.5dBi antenna (but no signal booster) has been used over 1.5 miles with a clear RF LOS.

Also, please check your Private Messages regarding posting.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Linksys

Postby mbstone99 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:03 pm

I have that same AP and the claim of ithe distance is very true. I can get a signal off my AP at least over 500-750 feet from my apartment and half way up the road. The unit that you have sounds like it is defective.

Matt
mbstone99
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information