scavenger hunt

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

scavenger hunt

Postby 8ender » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:55 pm

A little idea I thought up last night.

Basically, you get a group of dedicated wardrivers together and then hide an AP somewhere in the city. This could be a friends house, some office space you have access to, or whatever works.

The group of wardrivers previously mentioned have to find your particular point or series of points to win.

Another variation would be to map a large square of area in a city as the playing field. Then one person with a laptop set to ad-hoc and with filesharing enabled would be the "mouse" . The point of the game would be to "tag" the mouse's wireless laptop by dropping a file on his open share. This game would probably require two man wardriving setups to make it safe.

Me and a few friends played tag the other day and its actually really neat. I used mappoint to plot the points where i picked his wireless up and figured out eventually that he was sticking to a few of the same roads. So I got my driver to wait on the corner or two roads that looked like they were being used and tagged him good when he stopped at the lights.
8ender
Mini Stumbler

Postby db8tr » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:13 am

The first variation is a lot like foxhunting (amateur radio direction finding). A google search on "foxhunting" and "Radio" would produce a ton of sites about doing this sort of thing with longer wavelengths. Personally, with the short range of 2.4GHz, I don't think it would be too fun since you would have to be withing 500 feet or so to pick it up. At that point it would not be too hard to triangulate the source. But, I guess with a small enough playing area, it could be fun. Interesting idea at the least.
-Db8tr
db8tr

Sounds like GeoCaching

Postby nashr » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:40 am

Add GPS coords and you have http://www.geocaching.org

Then there was http://www.noderunner.com
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Postby fitzStewart » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:14 pm

Similar ideas have been proposed before - someone establishes a small wireless network, posts starting coordinates with a few clues, and then you have to find it. Very similar to geocaching, except your objective is a wireless network that you have been given permission to connect to. Looking to set one of these up myself, with a small server and a webcam attached, so you can take your own picture from the wireless network as proof that you found it.
fitzStewart

Postby TheSovereign » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:38 pm

why not make it even more interesting?
set wep 40 on
set a dummy host sending traffic thru the network
force then to crack the wep
find the server with a specific app
hack the SMB to get to a folder
run the program in that folder locally
and return with whatever info that prog had
that would be fun i would do that
SO SAYS TheSovereign