Stopping automatic connection....

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Stopping automatic connection....

Postby NightShade737 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:07 am

Is there any way to stop Windows from automatically connection to any access point in range? As it is highly annoying. I am going along and then it will just connect to some network without even asking me.

I noticed someone saying about dissabling TCP/IP on that adapter, but as that would require removing the protocol from the adapter it seems a little long winded.

I have Windows Wireless Zero config dissabled btw.

Cheers,
NS
NightShade737
Mini Stumbler

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:41 am

I am pretty sure in XP you have to select the option to automatically connect to found networks, so you could uncheck that box.

Disabling TCP/IP is not that complicated though and is a good practice anyway. Here are instructions:

http://www.worldwidewardrive.org/nodhcp.html
perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'
Chris

Postby NightShade737 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:06 am

Ah, I didn't realise I could just untick it, I thought I had to use the uninstall option.

In that case it should be fine.

There is an option where is says "Connect to all networks, not just prefered networks" and that is unticked, so I'm damned if I know why it is still doing it.

Cheers,
NS
NightShade737
Mini Stumbler

try This

Postby JimEther » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:29 am

Hey There,

I think the issue is that you have disabled the windows zero config. You should have that option enabled, and then delete the SID's in your preferred networks box. From there on out you should need to actually willingly connect... unless you have connected to a similarly named AP recently... inwhich case it will find it's way back into your preferred networks box.

BTW: Be carefull... admitting that this happens seems to be reason for banning/flaming here. So...
Have a Question, Click [color=BLUE]HERE[/color]

There are 00000010 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

No ONE should EVER connect to ANY network that they don't have EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION from the OWNER of to do so. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.
JimEther
Mini Stumbler

Re: try This

Postby NightShade737 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:18 am

Anyway, I disabled Zero config because the Atheros software complains and basically gives you an option in the style of "either me or them".

And the Atheros software gives more info and is generally more accurate, so use that......

NS
NightShade737
Mini Stumbler

Re: try This

Postby gmiller220 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:18 am

Originally posted by JimEther
BTW: Be carefull... admitting that this happens seems to be reason for banning/flaming here. So...

No. The reason for flaming is the fact that people come in here and ask HOW to connect. He asked how to avoid this.
gmiller220

Postby todkapuz » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:00 pm

Im having a similar problem. I have two network cards (11g for my personal network, its internal, and 11b for stumbling, it has a pigtail) ... anyhow... when NetStumber is not running, it behaves nicely. It tells me there are networks to connect to (even though I wish I could stop that as well), but it doesnt connect. However, run Netstumbler, and it instantly connects to anything it can find. I have tcp/ip, microsoft client, etc disabled for the stumbling card, so I don't think its going to kill me. But still, I'd perfer not to become associated with networks I don't personally know. I cant seem to change any of the properties for connections on that card once netstumbler is running, until I close it down.

Any ideas?

(its an Orinoco silver 11b external, and a broadcom 11g internal)
todkapuz
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information