Strongest AP

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Strongest AP

Postby acidrayne » Mon May 13, 2002 12:35 pm

What is the strongest signal you have ever gotten off an AP??

I picked up one at a Bushnell store in a business park near me that I could hit from over half a mile away with no external antenna.

I don't have GPS or I would upload the coordinates but it was at 87th and Marshall Dr in Overland Park, KS - SSID: bushnell
Rayne
acidrayne

Postby lullabud » Mon May 13, 2002 3:04 pm

i've gotten signals from a block away that origintate from this hospital that takes up a city block in colorado springs. however, it was useless because there was no traffic going around... i don't know what the deal is. quite frustrating to have such a rich signal and no use for it.
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby gcrocker » Wed May 15, 2002 9:03 am

The strongest node I've seen had a SNR of 44. No idea how close I was, but I saw this node all over the place (half mile radius at least) around 119th and Nall in Overland Park, KS. I have a FAB mag-mount 5dBi.

SSID was 'Yellow'.

acidrayne, check out http://www.kcwireless.net/ if you haven't already.

-glenn
gcrocker
Mini Stumbler

Postby ZzeusS » Wed May 15, 2002 9:50 am

LOL you guys I am in Overland Park too. Work in corporate woods, live at the plaza. Small world.
ZzeusS
Mini Stumbler

Postby gcrocker » Wed May 15, 2002 10:08 am

Too funny. I wondered how many local folks were on here.

I just got a GPS, so my stumbling will be much more interesting now.

-glenn
gcrocker
Mini Stumbler

Postby ZzeusS » Wed May 15, 2002 10:14 am

Originally posted by gcrocker
Too funny. I wondered how many local folks were on here.

I just got a GPS, so my stumbling will be much more interesting now.

-glenn

You know Garmin's office is off 151st and Riverside (Great Mall area), I drive by it all the time. When I screwed up a GPS III reflash I asked if I could just swing by and have them reflash it.. no dice, they are not walk-in friendly :)

I'm going to have to get a cheapie non visual output GPS for stumbling - I use my GPS III for real navigation too much. May I ask what GPS you decided on for stumbling?
ZzeusS
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Wed May 15, 2002 10:17 am

Originally posted by ZzeusS
May I ask what GPS you decided on for stumbling?

Garmin eTrex Legend
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby gcrocker » Wed May 15, 2002 10:40 am

Yeah, I thought it was funny looking at the lat/longs in the Garmin docs examples, since they're so close. I've spent a lot of time with local lat/long doing the maps at:

http://www.kcwireless.net/index.cgi?CoverageMap

Originally posted by ZzeusS
May I ask what GPS you decided on for stumbling?

I got a Garmin eTrex Venture. eBay prices are running around $140. I also tried ordering one online from the EXTREMELY TERRIBLE "company" AdvancedGPS. Nice prices, but took a week to ship, and they never answered any of my emails (including the one trying to cancel the order. Sigh.).

The Venture's pretty nice. Hooked right up to the PC, switched it over to NMEA data mode, and it and Netstumbler worked great. The PC data cable it comes with doesn't allow an external power connector to be used at the same time, so depending on your use, you might end up wanting the "three-way" cable (car power/data/GPS). I just use rechargable AAs, and it seems fine (and means one fewer wire). WAAS doesn't work well in the midwest, but I haven't played with it much yet, and this should improve as more WAAS satellites come online (apparently).

I ended up with an extra new in box eTrex Venture, so if anyone local's interested in buying one and saving on shipping, let me know. It'll be up on eBay soon if I don't find someone I can sell to locally.

-glenn
gcrocker
Mini Stumbler

Venture

Postby acidrayne » Wed May 15, 2002 11:16 am

Originally posted by gcrocker
Yeah, I thought it was funny looking at the lat/longs in the Garmin docs examples, since they're so close. I've spent a lot of time with local lat/long doing the maps at:

http://www.kcwireless.net/index.cgi?CoverageMap

I got a Garmin eTrex Venture. eBay prices are running around $140. I also tried ordering one online from the EXTREMELY TERRIBLE "company" AdvancedGPS. Nice prices, but took a week to ship, and they never answered any of my emails (including the one trying to cancel the order. Sigh.).

The Venture's pretty nice. Hooked right up to the PC, switched it over to NMEA data mode, and it and Netstumbler worked great. The PC data cable it comes with doesn't allow an external power connector to be used at the same time, so depending on your use, you might end up wanting the "three-way" cable (car power/data/GPS). I just use rechargable AAs, and it seems fine (and means one fewer wire). WAAS doesn't work well in the midwest, but I haven't played with it much yet, and this should improve as more WAAS satellites come online (apparently).

I ended up with an extra new in box eTrex Venture, so if anyone local's interested in buying one and saving on shipping, let me know. It'll be up on eBay soon if I don't find someone I can sell to locally.

-glenn

It is nice to see that there are some people locally around here. I have been interested in buying a GPS but haven't done it yet. Is the Venture the blue or green housing?
Rayne
acidrayne

Postby ZzeusS » Wed May 15, 2002 11:25 am

Garmin's web page has a flash animation thing showing their 50 types of eTrex GPSs that do the same thing..Venture is green.
ZzeusS
Mini Stumbler

Thought So

Postby acidrayne » Thu May 16, 2002 12:07 pm

Yeah ... Ive seen that animation. I don't know which one I want to get because from what I can tell, they are all pretty good and I would not really be using it by itself anyway so I don't know that it would matter what sort of map detail the GPS itself has as long as I get good software.

Will the Garmins work with any mapping software?
Rayne
acidrayne

Re: Thought So

Postby blackwave » Thu May 16, 2002 12:13 pm

Originally posted by acidrayne

Will the Garmins work with any mapping software?

I have run my Garmin eTrex Legend with:

MapPoint2002
Deluxe StreetFinder USA

without any problems after setting NMEA.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Re: Re: Thought So

Postby acidrayne » Thu May 16, 2002 12:17 pm

Originally posted by blackwave

I have run my Garmin eTrex Legend with:

MapPoint2002
Deluxe StreetFinder USA

without any problems after setting NMEA.

Thanks for the info ... How much do those run retail?
Rayne
acidrayne

Postby ZzeusS » Thu May 16, 2002 12:26 pm

MapPoint 2002 costs around 200 USD new, Ebay around 60-80.
ZzeusS
Mini Stumbler

Re: Re: Re: Thought So

Postby blackwave » Thu May 16, 2002 12:46 pm

Originally posted by acidrayne

Thanks for the info ... How much do those run retail?

I really wouldn't know. ;)

NOTE: This message does not promote software piracy in any form. Software Piracy should be taken seriously. Very seriously.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Next

Return to AP Information