Stupid application for stumbled AP info!

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Stupid application for stumbled AP info!

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:23 pm

We're gonna need a new forum for "Myself's dumb ideas"!

I'd like to be able to ask the database where I am, based on the APs nearby. Submit some MACs and get back a lat/long estimate!

Utterly useless? Yes.

Geeky? Absolutely!

Even worse: Wireless Geocaching, where the treasure is a file stored on a machine connected to an AP whose signal can be received at the coordinates listed for the "cache".

Worse yet: The SSID of said AP contains a new lat/long to visit. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'd better go get some sleep before I invent a new Gen-X pastime. (Wake me if "extreme sports" are suddenly replaced on the pop culture scene with "geek sports".)

Re: Stupid application for stumbled AP info!

Postby nashr » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:46 am

Okay, I sort of like the Wireless Geocaching, but it can lead to "intrusion" or "electronic trespass" which would be a "very bad thing". There would need to be some identifier to ensure you were hitting the correct AP.

The idea of an AP with long/lat for a new location is interesting... sort of a wireless wild goose chase!?

Originally posted by
We're gonna need a new forum for "Myself's dumb ideas"!

Even worse: Wireless Geocaching, where the treasure is a file stored on a machine connected to an AP whose signal can be received at the coordinates listed for the "cache".

Worse yet: The SSID of said AP contains a new lat/long to visit. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'd better go get some sleep before I invent a new Gen-X pastime. (Wake me if "extreme sports" are suddenly replaced on the pop culture scene with "geek sports".)
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Re: Stupid application for stumbled AP info!

Postby fitzStewart » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:38 am

Originally posted by

That would be wireless net caching.
I suggested this idea a while ago, but am still trying to get it up and running (waiting for an approriate ap to be retired at work). The idea - give a set of rough coordinates and directions to the system, it's ssid, and a cypher you need to de-encrypt to get the wep key (something like a simple caesar cypher to get things started, then make it more complex to add to the thrill of the hunt!). Once you're online, you'll find a local web page with a web cam pointed out the window, so you can prove you found this ap by taking your own picture! (like geocaching, there would be a web site where you can upload your proof)
An big plus of this, is that you would be looking for a wireless network you have already been given permission to attach to, so no trespassing!
If you're in the Toronto area, one of these will be live in the next few monthes.
fitzStewart

Postby chemman14 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:22 am

hows it coming?
chemman14

Try the free beer AP

Postby NagRuTan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:28 am

Greets,

Free beer AP

Nag
.....ya clock faster and faster till the desire for speed overcomes the fear of bus.....
NagRuTan

Return to AP Information