Village Inn

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Village Inn

Postby STUMLINGISNEAT » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:27 am

I was noticing that the Village Inn's (like a Denny's for those who don't have them in thier city) just installed some new computers and a wireless network here in Colorado. Has anyone had any luck getting them to show up on Netstumbler. They are using a D-link AP hung up on the wall!
STUMLINGISNEAT
Mini Stumbler

Postby Novilio » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:23 pm

You mean inside the restaurants themselves? That would be a first, and if it's something they're doing for customers I would have thought they'd have made some kind of announcement.

Netstumbler won't pick up an AP if the AP's beacon broadcast is set to off. That's one possibility--the other is that the AP has been hung on the wall but not yet powered up.

Where in Colorado is it? I just moved to Colorado Springs, and my wife and I eat at Village Inns now and then. And where in the restaurant did you see the AP? I'll make a point of taking a look at the Village Inn here locally.

--73--

--Novilio
Novilio

Postby Novilio » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:15 pm

Carol and I had breakfast this morning at the Village Inn off I25 at Circle in Colorado Springs, but there was no sign of any Wi-Fi activity. Did not see any AP's on the walls, and NetStumbler reported no APs visible from the parking lot.

--73--

--Novilio
Novilio

Postby STUMLINGISNEAT » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:59 pm

I'm up in the Denver area. They are upgrading stores here with a system for the cash registers. They put an AP on the wall near the ceiling when they upgraded the cash registers to black, flat-panel screens. An employee told me they are using a d-link AP. They turned on the AP at the one by me and it had an SSID of "Village Inn". It was Wep'd. I thought it might be the 54mbs type of wifi and my card couldn't pick it up. I don't think it's intended for customers. It must be for networking the new registers to a computer in the back. Oh well, that would have been good for studying.
STUMLINGISNEAT
Mini Stumbler

Postby Novilio » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:12 pm

Egad. Isn't going wireless with your cash registers the way that Best Buy got in trouble two years ago? At least Village Inn turned WEP on.

This is one of those times when I think that a spool of good ol' CAT5 would have done the job a whole lot better and made for fewer problems in the future. Wi-Fi might be more useful in letting waiting customers know when their tables are ready, like those proprietary flashing wireless drink coasters you see at some restaurants.

--73--

--Novilio
Novilio

Postby USFJoseph » Thu May 01, 2003 3:09 am

Egad. Isn't going wireless with your cash registers the way that Best Buy got in trouble two years ago? At least Village Inn turned WEP on.

Hey if you go to Walt Disney World (the one in Orlando) ALL of their registers run off wireless now. I don't remember the brand they are using but I'll take a look next time. I just got my first laptop in yesterday (Compaq Presario 2100US) and will be picking up the "netstumbler kit" later today & that's one of the first places I want to go ;)
USFJoseph
Mini Stumbler

Postby The Others » Thu May 01, 2003 3:25 am

Disney eh?

Trust them to run a Micky Mouse setup

The Others

Return to AP Information