Want to link 2 houses

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Want to link 2 houses

Postby 1badtwo » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:51 pm

Ok, I want to link up 2 houses for internet sharing. Here is what I've gathered and I HAVE read.
Info
House 1 -
has existing cable modem, router (wired) and about 5 computers on it.
House 2 - no internet 2 computers networked with a hub :-(

LOS ~ 700 feet not a great line but it's there.

Here is what I am thinking will work for my situation
House 1 gets a Wireless ethernet bridge (WET11 linksys) plugged into the existing router - also gets a 14db or so parabolic dish plugged into it pointing at house 2

House 2 gets a WET11 also, pluged into the hub with a smaller outdoor yagi type antenna

@ House 1, would it be a big signal loss to run actual antenna wire to the roof (aprx 50-75ft) - easy but costs more. Or put the WET11 on the roof running PoE? - hard (for me)

@ House 2, do I have to buy the second WET11 or can I get an AP with better antenna hookups to talk to the WET11 @ house 1?

I am confused as chuck - I wanna do this as cheap as possible, but I want a good signal (dont we all?)

Anyone have a list of hardware that they used for a similar setup?
Give me any suggestions/opinions anything

Also, if you feel I should search more, point me to a thread please :-)

Thanks alot!
1badtwo
Mini Stumbler

Want to link 2 houses

Postby 1badtwo » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:36 pm

Ok, I want to link up 2 houses for internet sharing. Here is what I've gathered and I HAVE read.
Info
House 1 -
has existing cable modem, router (wired) and about 5 computers on it.
House 2 - no internet 2 computers networked with a hub :-(

LOS ~ 700 feet not a great line but it's there.

Here is what I am thinking will work for my situation
House 1 gets a Wireless ethernet bridge (WET11 linksys) plugged into the existing router - also gets a 14db or so parabolic dish plugged into it pointing at house 2

House 2 gets a WET11 also, pluged into the hub with a smaller outdoor yagi type antenna

@ House 1, would it be a big signal loss to run actual antenna wire to the roof (aprx 50-75ft) - easy but costs more. Or put the WET11 on the roof running PoE? - hard (for me)

@ House 2, do I have to buy the second WET11 or can I get an AP with better antenna hookups to talk to the WET11 @ house 1?

I am confused as chuck - I wanna do this as cheap as possible, but I want a good signal (dont we all?)

Anyone have a list of hardware that they used for a similar setup?
Give me any suggestions/opinions anything

Also, if you feel I should search more, point me to a thread please :-)

Thanks alot!
1badtwo
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:01 pm

FYI: you are making it a lot more complex than it has to be. There are a half of dozen of these threads on these forums feel free to use the search to find the details you seek, and the solutions you want to use. :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Return to AP Information