WAP11 Problems with WEP

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

WAP11 Problems with WEP

Postby jove » Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:53 pm

I have been having some problems lately with WEP on my WAP11 1.1. Lemme take it from the top as it is alot to explain. I will explain the events in the order they occured.

1st - About 2 weeks ago all of a suden the AP stopped functioning. I had it stacked on top of a 16 Port Linksys Switch that was stackable in the same fashion as the WAP11. I had them in an equipment closet and when I went to go check the AP it was pretty hot. So I unstacked the equipment and moved the AP to a cooler spot. I have since then installed a shelf to allow for better air circulation for the two pieces of equipment. I had been using the AP with WEP 128 Bit and an Orinoco Gold card Windows XP for quite a while before this happened. After messing around with the AP for a bit, I just generated a new WEP Key using the SNMP Management app and setup the key in Win XP. After that, the AP worked fine.

2nd - Took AP home for the weekend from office to where I had been using it before I took it to the office. Plugged in in at home and it worked fine.

3rd - Brought AP back to office and set it up on the well ventalated shelf. It worked fine for about 3 days then all of a suden while using it today the same thing happened where it was not authenticating with the WEP Key. I tried to do the same thing I did last time, but it did not work. I got out a USB cable so I could reset the AP to factory defaults. AP works with factory default settings.

4th - I am no longer able to use the SNMP utility to actually apply changes I have made. I can use the AP fine when WEP is not enabled. I know I have all of the settings setup in Win XP and on the AP that I had before all of these problems started happening. But as SOON as I ENABLE WEP I can not get on the AP.

I have tried a bunch of other things like reload the latest firmware and such. Im thinking that maybe there is an update to either the WAP11, my Orinoco Card, the Client Manager Software, or maybe some other patch that maybe I am missing. Or it could possibly be that the AP was damaged by heat. Allthough I do not know how it could be heat damage if the only thing on the AP that is not working is WEP and the ability to save changes using the SNMP management tool.

ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Re: WAP11 Problems with WEP

Postby blackwave » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:04 pm

Originally posted by jove
ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

In case you may have overlooked the wep key hex vs. ascii scenario:
NetStumbler.com Forums > Wireless Forums > AP Information > Browsing fails after enableing WEP on my home setup http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1768
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby msnyder » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:42 pm

Are you using a RADIUS server to athinticate logins as well as WEP?
If so I've seen a simmilar problem in Nokia's AP, try turning RADIUS off.
msnyder

Postby jove » Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:00 pm

I made sure that I had the WEP Key in the proper HEX format and had HEX selected in the Win XP tools. I even tried different setups being as how this is WINDOWS! Heh, thanks tho blackwave.

As far as using a RADIUS server to authenticate I am not running one. This is just straight WEP. I even tried using the AP not connected to the network and even tried a crossover cable connected to my notebook so I could use the SNMP utility, but it still does not work.

Thanks.

More suggestions plz! Heh.

Postby az2k » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:54 pm

I am having a similar problem with my BEFW11S4 (1.42.7 firmware). After I enabled WEP (40 bit) the box will work fine for a few days and then the wireless portion just stops working. I can not connect from systems with Linksys or Orinoco cards. The PC that is wired works fine and if I reset the Linksys (or power cycle it) everything starts working again. Nothing from Linksys as of yet.

Keith
az2k
Mini Stumbler

Postby subterphuge » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:56 pm

Do you have a max number of DHCP users limited in your web-based Linksys AP setup? Check your DHCP client table and try dropping all but the wired MAC addresses and then see if you can reconnect. I'm betting it has nothing to do with WEP at all.

Esp. if you're using a program that changes your wireless card's MAC address, you might not be able to get back on your AP if there isn't room for a new address.
subterphuge

Location: On the Road, Where the WEP is Weak and the Signal is Strong

Postby jove » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:03 am

This is a WAP 11 Ver. 1.1 which means that there is no WEB interface. Only SNMP and USB Management. Its not that the Table is full cause I am the only one using AP and my MAC Address has not changed on my Orinoco.

Postby Thorn » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:28 am

Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to AP Information