WAP11 vs WAP11 2.2

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Which Linksys AP do you think is better, the original WAP11 or the WAP11 2.2?

Definatly the original WAP11, no contest.
29%
They are both about the same when it comes to functionality and advanced features.
8%
The original WAP11 has way better features.
21%
The WAP11 2.2 is much better.
42%

Total votes : 24

WAP11 vs WAP11 2.2

Postby jove » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:26 am

From what I have read around the net I see that the WAP11 2.2 is far from being as good or better than the original WAP11. I myself am an original WAP11 owner.

Just interested in hearing everyones comments on the 2 AP's. Please give as much information as you can about the differences between the 2 AP's.

Keep Stumbling :D

Postby Thorn » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:40 am

The orginal is configurable using SNMP, which is a double edge sword. But I prefer that to user friendly (read: dumbed down) web/USB interfaces.

I've not bought a v2 model yet, just because they dropped the SNMP.

BTW jove, your poll allows two or more votes... Is that what you really want?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby jove » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:48 am

Yep, thats what I wanted.

Thanks for your comments.

Postby poltergeist » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:09 am

The snmp works really well on the wap11. If you update the firmware you can password protect the access point so the device security is limited to the strength of the password you use.
poltergeist
Mini Stumbler

WAP v 2.2 firmware upgrade!

Postby Calcon » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:10 pm

Just to let everyone know, I did the firmware upgrade to my WAP 11 v 2.2 to improve security with the setup CD. The problem is when it does a serch for active WAP 11 2.2 AP's if there are any others on the same network as you they will show up! So I could then change settings on someone elses AP and turn on WEP with my own key. NOT COOL! So all you have to do is install this patch and your good to go right? NO! After you upgrade the firmware you are suppost to use the new setup program that has password protection enabled to access your AP. The new setup program works correctly and you can still see other AP and edit them if they don't have the firmware upgrade. It gets better! If you use the original setup program on a patched AP you can still change the settings and you are never prompted for a password. What a load of crap! So much for security! If your on a wired part of the network you can change anyones AP you wanted, even with the new firmware if you use the old setup program. I am not sure if there was this same security flaw in the older WAP 11's, but the way I see it, this is BS!!!

Calcon
Calcon
Mini Stumbler

Re: WAP v 2.2 firmware upgrade!

Postby blackwave » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:23 pm

Originally posted by Calcon
Just to let everyone know, I did the firmware upgrade to my WAP 11 v 2.2 to improve security with the setup CD. The problem is when it does a serch for active WAP 11 2.2 AP's if there are any others on the same network as you they will show up! So I could then change settings on someone elses AP and turn on WEP with my own key. NOT COOL! So all you have to do is install this patch and your good to go right? NO! After you upgrade the firmware you are suppost to use the new setup program that has password protection enabled to access your AP. The new setup program works correctly and you can still see other AP and edit them if they don't have the firmware upgrade. It gets better! If you use the original setup program on a patched AP you can still change the settings and you are never prompted for a password. What a load of crap! So much for security! If your on a wired part of the network you can change anyones AP you wanted, even with the new firmware if you use the old setup program. I am not sure if there was this same security flaw in the older WAP 11's, but the way I see it, this is BS!!!

Calcon

Please ignore - saving link for future use
NetStumbler.com Forums > FAQ's > WiFi > IGNORE: Known WiFi Vulnerabilities/Exploits-Temp-
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthrea ... #post26615
-=BW=-
blackwave

2.2 version

Postby tapper451 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:08 am

I switched to a 2.2 as I wanted to get SNMP off my network (ap is too far from the computer rack for USB). I have found the features to be essentialy the same, and the interface exposes some of the options I had to use the Amtel tool to get at with my Wap11.

The other thin I like is the option for Logging, now I just need time to get the logs to do something.

Tapper
tapper451

buggy or is it me???

Postby thelowend » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:25 am

Newbie to post, been lurking for a while now... anyway,

I recently purchased two WAP11 v2.2 Access Points to replace two older Breezecom units that were limited to 40-bit WEP. The Breezecoms also did not give me the ability to turn off the SSID broadcast or filter by MAC address.

Configuration of the WAP11s proved quite simple, but I immediately discovered a couple of things that are keeping me from using these units in the way I intended.

Here is what I have discovered:

Issue One:
When both units are configured for Point-to-Point Bridging, static addressed PCs work fine through the bridge. A DHCPed PC located across the wireless bridge from the DHCP server does NOT get an IP address. This is remedied by configuring one WAP11 as an Access Point and the other has an Access Point client. For whatever reason, it works this way. This is not how I intended on using these units.

Issue Two:
One of the security features I specifically looked for when researching APs (for the company I work for) was the ability to turn off the SSID broadcast. When I disable SSID Broadcast in Point-to-Point Bridging mode, wireless communication works (Issue One still applies however), but in AP-AP client mode, communication across the wireless link does not work at all.

Has anyone else here configured there WAP11 v2.2 units this way, and if so, did you experience any of the same troubles?

- J
thelowend
Mini Stumbler

these WAP11s kinda suck...

Postby thelowend » Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:08 am

I swapped out a couple of old Breezecoms for Linksys WAP11s(v2.2). I never had a problem with the Breezecoms in the 2 and a half years I had them in place. In contrast though, the WAP11s kinda suck.

In addition to the issues posted earlier in this thread, I've had to reset the AP twice in about a week (so far) to get the other WAP (in client mode) to see the link.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of "performance"?

- j
thelowend
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information