WEP isn't broken anymore?

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

WEP isn't broken anymore?

Postby lincomatic » Tue May 28, 2002 12:07 am

was going thru this article
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/05/24/wlan.html?page=2
posted on the main netstumbler site and ran across this assertion:

Early WEP implementations are vulnerable to cracking by tools such as AirSnort and WEPCrack, but the latest firmware releases from most vendors eliminate all known attacks. The latest products go one step farther and use key management protocols to change the WEP key every 15 minutes. Even the busiest wireless LAN does not generate enough data for known attacks to recover the key in 15 minutes.

is there any truth to this? i noticed that lucent has implemented something called "WEP Plus" which is also purported to fix the weaknesses of WEP, but haven't been able to find any docs on what exactly it is, or whether or not it really works.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Re: WEP isn't broken anymore?

Postby blackwave » Tue May 28, 2002 12:12 am

Originally posted by lincomatic
was going thru this article
[url]
is there any truth to this? i noticed that lucent has implemented something called "WEP Plus" which is also purported to fix the weaknesses of WEP, but haven't been able to find any docs on what exactly it is, or whether or not it really works.

I have heard this as well. They have learned their mistakes and have found the routines that are creating these weak keys and just zapped them out so they no longer occur. Good to see progress being made. About time they sync-cycled the keys, I always wondered why this wasn't being done in the first place :)

But with this "new" line of defense there will most certainly be found a new hole... it is all a matter of time, and how much someone has of it. :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Return to AP Information