WEP Questions

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

WEP Questions

Postby DaveNull » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:57 pm

I have a Lucent Orinoco card running on WinXP and a Linksys wireless router setup at my place, and I have been playing around with it for a few days.

Something I have noticed is that if I have WEP enabled on the router I cannot connect to my network. I know that the key is correct because I can connect to the AP, but I cannot access the DHCP server, the gateway, anything. It's the same with Linux, where I also have the card installed: I can connect to the AP, but not to my network.

In my ever-growing stumbling experience I see the same thing. WEP enabled APs that I can guess the key of will let me connect, but not get an IP or anything like that.

I know I'm missing something here, but I don't know what it is. If you could help me, I'd be very grateful. Just think of it as working towards one less n00b in the world.

Thanks agian.
/dave/null
DaveNull
Mini Stumbler

Postby DaveNull » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:34 pm

Okay, I figured it out (in case anyone was wondering):

My Orinoco card incorrectly fragments the packets when WEP is enabled between it and the Linksys router I had. I'm switching to the Netgear, and they have assured me that this same problem won't occur.

This thread wasn't very popular, so I apologize for wasting the space!
/dave/null
DaveNull
Mini Stumbler

Linksys 11 AP/ Lucent card

Postby 1 brown trout » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:59 am

Interesting observation. I run XP on my lap top, have a wavelan silver turbo 11mbs card (orinoco) and had to do some updates on XP microsoft to get it working, although the Windows 7.14 upgrade was ? Drivers or firmware? I'm not sure.

I was at a coffee shop this weekend and the admin had left the password for me to get on with 64 bit encryption. My version of XP will NOT work with a ASCII password. I had to go and get the hexidecimal key to get in. The AP was a Linksys BEFWs114, I believe.

Once I entered the hexidecimal key, it was all systems go.

Be interested in knowing what firmware/drivers you are running, also what card as in was it a rebadge or?
1 brown trout
Mini Stumbler

Return to AP Information