WiGLE.net stumble mapping.

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Postby lincomatic » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:34 pm

btw anyone have any idea what the freenet and qos fields are in wigle?
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:39 pm

they're retrieved from the terraserver.
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:43 pm

Originally posted by lullabud
they're retrieved from the terraserver.

Oh so they could be old, like years old?
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby lullabud » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:06 pm

yes, some of them are probably years old. however, i find it works much better than jigle... not that jigle is bad at all. but these are photographs, and dispite that they may be several years old the cities are more than several years old and most streets are shown.
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:11 pm

Terraserver started up in 1997-1998, a lot of the 2 meter BW imagery is from the Russion Spin satellite which I recall was around 1995 vintage. 10 meter is probably SPOT panchromatic, not sure of the age. The 1 meter stuff is probably USGS National High Altitude Aerial Photography Program (NHAPP) or it has been processed into Digital Ortho Quarter Quads (DOQQ) so that's probably 5 to 7 years old.

A lot of states have their DOQQ's available for download, so a little googling will probably yield some nice 24-bit color DOQQs. You might alos want to search on DRG, which are USGS quad maps scanned in tiff format or .bil. A neat trick is to set white transparent in the DRG and overlay that onto the DOQQ, you get an aerial phot with the quad map on top.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dr3D1zzl3 » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:30 pm

your bad ass mano i was just starting my googlin when i found out that geologists are very l33t in there acronyms. Gave me a headache, then came your post. ahhh thank you.
Dr3D1zzl3

Postby sykojester » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:31 pm

wtf did he just say? too meny acronyms. bout gave me a headache

I am intrested in that expertgps/3.5mb data file to do maps from terraserver and stuff. sounds very intresting.

and if you want to see how old terraserver maps are, it tells you on the page the date and i think Time the pics were taken.

terraserver.com and the other is like terraserver.msn.com or something.
sykojester

Postby lullabud » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:44 pm

http://terraserver.microsoft.com

i currently have some funky values being spit out in the wrong place so i'm going to tweak it tonight... sorta busy right now. i'll post a link to a .rar with the compressed 3.5mb gpx inside it, for use with expertgps.
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby mentat » Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:24 pm

Originally posted by lullabud
http://terraserver.microsoft.com

i currently have some funky values being spit out in the wrong place so i'm going to tweak it tonight... sorta busy right now. i'll post a link to a .rar with the compressed 3.5mb gpx inside it, for use with expertgps.

Also interesting is the .NET interface to the data, terraservice.net. I'm not a big .NET person, but it looks pretty cool. Actually one should be able to use it from any web service interface using SOAP.
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:07 am

just wrote a little app to chew thru wigle's database and output netstumbler's text format. then i dragged it over netstumbler and it took FOREVER to load; i thought it was dead but finally it woke up again :) there were so many AP's that NS can't even display the count correctly.

next, i saved out an NS1 file.
the wigle output format is more compact...1.6MB vs 1.8MB for the NS1

looks like linksys wins hands down for market share. there were by far more SSID=linksys than any others.
Attachments
image2.gif
image2.gif (2.55 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby themastermind1 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:50 am

niiiice. a copy of the ns1/text file would be greatly appriciated....

I am working on something like wigle but instead of a windows app, its going to be a webpage with a zoomable, panable, center on zipcode/lat-long-able map of the USA with all the APs found plotted on it. The APs are also clickable to show a closeup map and other statistics such as number of people who have found it, signal, vendor, mac, etc, etc, etc. I'm planning on starting up the beta site very very soon...

Aman
themastermind1

Postby blackwave » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:59 am

Originally posted by themastermind1
I'm planning on starting up the beta site very very soon...

When themastermind1 posts this site to the public you guys are going to love it. I got to have an early peek, very sweet site! :) I haven't seen anything like it yet.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby mentat » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:59 am

Originally posted by lincomatic
just wrote a little app to chew thru wigle's database and output netstumbler's text format. then i dragged it over netstumbler and it took FOREVER to load; i thought it was dead but finally it woke up again :) there were so many AP's that NS can't even display the count correctly.

next, i saved out an NS1 file.
the wigle output format is more compact...1.6MB vs 1.8MB for the NS1

looks like linksys wins hands down for market share. there were by far more SSID=linksys than any others.

Something to note is that this is more like the summary of the wigle database. The lat-lons are triangulated from the raw point data. A file containing all the datapoints is probably gigabytes.
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:06 am

yes, i had to fake some of the data like signal/noise/snr which weren't available...
wigle doesn't output the raw time samples that NS generates, nor does it give you more than 1 channel per AP.
would be nice if they would allow us to d/l the raw data instead, but this is the best i could do w/ the data they give.
anyway, it's still more comprehensive than what u can get by querying the database on this site.

anyone who wants the NS1 file just PM me w/ your email address. i'm going to tweak the output a little before i send it out, though....so it won't be until late tonite.

kudos to lullabud for fwding me the wigle data :)
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:19 am

Originally posted by mentat

Something to note is that this is more like the summary of the wigle database. The lat-lons are triangulated from the raw point data. A file containing all the datapoints is probably gigabytes.

What does "triangulated from the raw point data" mean? Like a voronoi or delauney tesslation, calc the convex hull and solve for the center point?

If so, that's way cool, but it seems like a lot of work for data that can be 30m off or more in an urban canyon not mention multi-pathing errors. A simple averaging or median would probably be representative.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to AP Information