WiGLE.net stumble mapping.

Configuration and operational information about stumbled AP's

Postby lullabud » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:29 am

yo linc, think you can find that site that would let you upload ns1 files and it would create a billion statistics from your data? i recall seeing it around here somewhere but went to find it the other day and couldn't... it gave pie charts for vendors, wep ratio, channel, etc..
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:32 am

Originally posted by sparafina

What does "triangulated from the raw point data" mean? Like a voronoi or delauney tesslation, calc the convex hull and solve for the center point?

If so, that's way cool, but it seems like a lot of work for data that can be 30m off or more in an urban canyon not mention multi-pathing errors. A simple averaging or median would probably be representative.

not that fancy. from wigle faq:

How the triangulation works

The "triangulation" is actually just an average of the latitudes and longitudes gathered using the signal strength (squared) as a weight. This assumes that signal strength will change at the inverse square of the distance. This is reasonable as long is you don't get a one sided view of the network (IE only sample it on the west side) since it will be skewed in that direction. Perhaps a better way would be choosing a signal of 70 as being the ultimate, and every other point being a radius from 70 and trying to find where all the circles intersect, but we'll see. This should be good enough for the real world for now.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:32 am

Originally posted by lullabud
yo linc, think you can find that site that would let you upload ns1 files and it would create a billion statistics from your data? i recall seeing it around here somewhere but went to find it the other day and couldn't... it gave pie charts for vendors, wep ratio, channel, etc..

never even heard of that. if u remember the url gimme! gimme!
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:37 am

Originally posted by sykojester
wtf did he just say? too meny acronyms. bout gave me a headache

I am intrested in that expertgps/3.5mb data file to do maps from terraserver and stuff. sounds very intresting.

and if you want to see how old terraserver maps are, it tells you on the page the date and i think Time the pics were taken.

terraserver.com and the other is like terraserver.msn.com or something.

everything north of the equator from the GPS'd wigle database as of 6/5/02 in gpx format, for use with expertgps and others.

ftp://209.227.180.219/wigle_gpx.rar, it's < 300k
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby mentat » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:44 am

Originally posted by lincomatic
btw anyone have any idea what the freenet and qos fields are in wigle?

I can't find the particular place for it on the website right now. Freeenet is user set after the upload. qos is a factor of how many users have seen an ap and how recently it was last seen. (Maybe some other stuff too)
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby mentat » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:54 am

Originally posted by mentat

I can't find the particular place for it on the website right now. Freeenet is user set after the upload. qos is a factor of how many users have seen an ap and how recently it was last seen. (Maybe some other stuff too)

Found it: http://www.wigle.net/TODO

. "Quality of Service" (how many days we've seen it, different people seeing it
maybe other factors, qos field, 0-7)
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:03 am

not that fancy. from wigle faq:

well RTFMme!

This is reasonable as long is you don't get a one sided view of the network (IE only sample it on the west side) since it will be skewed in that direction. Perhaps a better way would be choosing a signal of 70 as being the ultimate, and every other point being a radius from 70 and trying to find where all the circles intersect, but we'll see. This should be good enough for the real world for now.

So triangulation means drive around the block. This raises the question of stumbling methods; the circling versus the drive-by. Quality of Position (QoP) is function of the number of data points. That means AP's will move over time as folks add to the database. Interesting.

I think a reverse geocoding experiment is in order.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:20 am

with any triangulation scheme the more equalateral your triangle the better your results are going to be, so driving around the building will always offer better results than covering just the front half or only 2 sides. the triangulation with wigle is no exception. having the community database really helps, especially if people upload the full text and not just the summary. that way if i war drive one street and you war drive a block away the two of us have almost circled the building and can definitely derive a more accurate epicenter than if one of us had done one street.
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:40 pm

just sent out the wigle file. anyone who doesn't receive it let me know.

the wigle stuff has some bugs. for instance i found a channel id=2050. looking back into the original, it's because there were 2 channel bits set. oh well. anyway i think most people are just interested in (B)SSID's and locations. i was too lazy to convert the dates, too, so the dates/times are bogus as well.

i decided to send you guys the text output file instead of the NS1 because it's smaller.
if you want to load it into NS just open NS and drag the file onto it and go away for a while ;it eats lots of cpu and takes forever.
then you can just click save and save out a NS1 file.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:42 pm

just sent out the wigle file. anyone who doesn't receive it let me know.

My mailbox was empy :~(
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby themastermind1 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:37 pm

hooray! i finally solved one of the major problems i was having with the mapping site concering accuracy of AP placement on higher map scales. Expect a beta version very soon...
themastermind1

Postby lullabud » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:36 am

i posted some pictures, examples of exactly what i ended up with when i converted the wigle database into gpx, in case anybody wants to see.

http://lull.otherward.net/wigle.jpg
http://lull.otherward.net/wigle2.jpg
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:41 am

i posted some pictures, examples of exactly what i ended up with when i converted the wigle database into gpx, in case

Thanks lullabud,
I haven't tried this, but are you able to zoom further. If so what is the furthest you are able to zoom in correlation to the AP?

Thanks!
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby lincomatic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:44 am

i posted some pictures, examples of exactly what i ended up with when i converted the wigle database into gpx, in case anybody wants to see.

http://lull.otherward.net/wigle.jpg
http://lull.otherward.net/wigle2.jpg

very interesting, lullabud. thanks for sharing that with us.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:58 am

very interesting, lullabud. thanks for sharing that with us.

why do i feel like i'm in a support group?
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to AP Information