Car antenna

Configuration and other hardware related information

Car antenna

Postby lagoausente » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Hello, I have searched about this and haven´t find reply to my doubts.
I have this antenna, CompraWifi | Tienda Wireless | Tienda Wifi | Antenas y Equipos
My first question is how should I get better result, with this high gain antenna inside the car? or with the typical 5.5 db external on the roof?
The 5.5 db for car I have seen is magnetic. Doesn´t exist something that can be mounted fixed like the radio ones? and discreete at the same time?
what are your experiences? Maybe a high gain onmi inside the car is anothe option?.
I would like to can conect ocasionally to a AP and get the better signal posible, and something discreet at the same time. Any light?
What about the radio antennas? Can be modified to wifi frequencies? :cool:
lagoausente
Mini Stumbler

Postby bobfunland » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 pm

lagoausente wrote:Hello, I have searched about this and haven´t find reply to my doubts.
I have this antenna, CompraWifi | Tienda Wireless | Tienda Wifi | Antenas y Equipos
My first question is how should I get better result, with this high gain antenna inside the car? or with the typical 5.5 db external on the roof?
The 5.5 db for car I have seen is magnetic. Doesn´t exist something that can be mounted fixed like the radio ones? and discreete at the same time?
what are your experiences? Maybe a high gain onmi inside the car is anothe option?.
I would like to can conect ocasionally to a AP and get the better signal posible, and something discreet at the same time. Any light?
What about the radio antennas? Can be modified to wifi frequencies? :cool:
I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Do you mean to be driving and also surf the internet at the same time? Can you elaborate on that? Thanks
[MARQUEE][BLINK]Space Bison: Exploring the Universe[/BLINK][/MARQUEE]
bobfunland

Postby lagoausente » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 am

bobfunland wrote:I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Do you mean to be driving and also surf the internet at the same time? Can you elaborate on that? Thanks

Of course not. For any of the two things the issue of the antenna is the same, I think...
lagoausente
Mini Stumbler

Postby Scruge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 am

lagoausente wrote: I would like to can conect ocasionally to a AP and get the better signal posible, and something discreet at the same time. Any light?

what spanish to english translator are you using?

Because when words like discreet and connect are used together they give off a subversive tone around here.:rolleyes:
Scruge

Postby lagoausente » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:14 am

Well, my English is not very good, although I understand what you mean.
Here there are few reference libraries/public libraries that allow internet connection for a limited time at about 1 hour/day or so. It requires to register, and log in to have access.
My work is around 35km from my home, and I there are some of these networks a long my travel. I found that using Knsgem with Netstumbler, could be practical to find the coverage area around the library, so could just check my emails just park, or double park in the right place for having coverage.
Even for making the coverage, and for connecting from the car I should like to be discreet, just for avoiding anyone to think some strage behaviour. I don´t think that putting a magnetic antenna on the roof of the car is a good idea.
Just a note, the libraries often have two networks, and two antennas, one for inside, and one for outside. So using it from the car seems a good option.
Have a look:
Galicia será la primera región con Internet en todas sus bibliotecas
lagoausente
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 am

lagoausente wrote:Well, my English is not very good, although I understand what you mean.
Here there are few reference libraries/public libraries that allow internet connection for a limited time at about 1 hour/day or so. It requires to register, and log in to have access.
My work is around 35km from my home, and I there are some of these networks a long my travel. I found that using Knsgem with Netstumbler, could be practical to find the coverage area around the library, so could just check my emails just park, or double park in the right place for having coverage.
Even for making the coverage, and for connecting from the car I should like to be discreet, just for avoiding anyone to think some strage behaviour. I don´t think that putting a magnetic antenna on the roof of the car is a good idea.
Just a note, the libraries often have two networks, and two antennas, one for inside, and one for outside. So using it from the car seems a good option.
Have a look:
Galicia será la primera región con Internet en todas sus bibliotecas

Wow, you must be a really important person that you have to stop along side the road, or double park to check email. Are you carrying the nuclear football or something?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby little dave » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Scruge wrote:what spanish to english translator are you using?

That was one mighty find guess you made there.:D
What happened to Dutch?
little dave

Location: somewhere between 00:0f:f8:58:58:08 and 00:13:10:20:20:83

Postby lagoausente » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 pm

streaker69 wrote:Wow, you must be a really important person that you have to stop along side the road, or double park to check email. Are you carrying the nuclear football or something?

If I were an important person, I should use 3G. In the other hand, not the whole world are cities and big cities. Rural zones are diferent.
I use google translator. I guess you didn´t check the link, so I put the google traslation: Galicia será la primera región con Internet en todas sus bibliotecas

Galicia can become the first autonomous community in which all public libraries have free Internet access if they fulfilled the predictions of the Xunta, which yesterday announced it will soon sign an agreement of collaboration between the public and business Red.es the Department of Culture within the project Internet in libraries, which will start to increase their share in more than one million euros to complete the provision of Internet services and computers in 313 public libraries in the Commonwealth.

Following the signing of this agreement, the final investment for the project Internet in libraries in Galicia is 2,575,599 euros, of which the Ministry of Culture provided 1,030,240 euros and the company Red.es, the 1,545,359 euros remaining. Thus, Red.es contributes 60% of the total, while the Xunta the other 40%.

Since signing the first agreement in May 2003, joined the program 198 libraries from 173 municipalities, and this year remaining 115 sites of other municipalities. In these two years were high on the agenda more than 14,000 users and accumulated more than 130,000 sessions.

The objective of increased heading is to reach 100,000 users by the end of the program in 2006. This will enable a wide network of access points in public libraries in Galicia, which will allow all citizens access the Internet free of charge and with a good quality connection, as announced by the Xunta.

In particular, it is to convert these spaces on the first point of cultural reference and access to information from the municipalities, with the possibility also to generate a bibliographic catalog group, consisting of funds belonging to the centers of the Network Library Galicia.

One of the measures being taken will provide Internet units still lack this service and will be connected via satellite libraries located in rural areas without DSL connection. Also improve the equipment of schools with greater number of users.

Moreover, the Secretary of State for Telecommunications, Francisco Ros, said yesterday that "it is anticipated that at the end of 2008 all citizens have access to broadband lines, regardless of the demand of users." After meeting with the conselleiro Innovation, Rodríguez Yuste, Ros said that the implementation of this system is pending final approval from Brussels. "

Doesn´t exist this type of services in USA?
lagoausente
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 am

lagoausente wrote:

Yea, we call them cell phones.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:31 am

lagoausente wrote:If I were an important person, I should use 3G. In the other hand, not the whole world are cities and big cities. Rural zones are diferent.

If you aren't that important, then you should be able to wait until you get home and not worry about needing to connect anywhere to get your email, let alone double parking and generally being a dick to other people on the road just because you want to check email.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby Scruge » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:43 am

lagoausente wrote: I should use 3G. In the other hand, not the whole world are cities and big cities. Rural zones are diferent.

AT&T's 3G laptop connect service is fantastic.

On my 1000+ mile trip from Houston to Tucson last month, which took me through the sparsely populated Texas Pecos, there were only a few times I lost service and they were brief periods of <10 minutes.
I was running an instant messenger, streaming stock quotes, and occasionally uploading pictures from a dash board camera I had setup.
[color="Red"]My truck setup[/color]

Over all I was impressed with the coverage and speed.
Scruge

Postby lagoausente » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 am

streaker69 wrote:If you aren't that important, then you should be able to wait until you get home and not worry about needing to connect anywhere to get your email, let alone double parking and generally being a dick to other people on the road just because you want to check email.

Barry wrote:Yea, we call them cell phones.

and what is Netstumbler useful for? Do you go with the GPS from your bedroom to your living room?
lagoausente
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 am

lagoausente wrote:and what is Netstumbler useful for? Do you go with the GPS from your bedroom to your living room?

I don't double park and check my email, as you so plainly stated you wanted to do.
streaker69

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 am

lagoausente wrote:and what is Netstumbler useful for? Do you go with the GPS from your bedroom to your living room?

How about you get a data plan through your cell provider and then use that anywhere you would like and you wouldn't look like you are trying to do anything illegal.

AT&T Fuze Specs Hit HTC Wiki.com

That is what I use. I get data and voice on it. I can also war drive and use it as a navigational system with google maps.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Thorn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm

lagoausente wrote:and what is Netstumbler useful for?

From the ReadMe:

NetStumbler is a tool for Windows that allows you to detect Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) using 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g. It has many uses:

* Verify that your network is set up the way you intended.
* Find locations with poor coverage in your WLAN.
* Detect other networks that may be causing interference on your network.
* Detect unauthorized "rogue" access points in your workplace.
* Help aim directional antennas for long-haul WLAN links.
* Use it recreationally for WarDriving.

You'll notice that no where in there is a mention of finding access points to leech.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Next

Return to Hardware