Could you guys put your good eye on this?

Configuration and other hardware related information

Could you guys put your good eye on this?

Postby schoeds » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:29 pm

Hello gentlemen,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and I'd like to say you've got quite a wealth of information on this site. I am helping my parents setup a wifi link from their house to my dad's plumbing shop and I would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

Here are the numbers:

370' -RF LOS
81.1 dB -Free Space Loss
-42.9 dBm -Rx Signal Level
27.1 dB -System Operating Margin
6.15' -Fresnel Zone

3/$50.00- ZyXEL P-330WC

2/$42.20- Rootenna/ RP-SMA antenna connection/ Fab-Corp

1/$39.00- ZyXEL USB Wireless adapter

Homebrew PoE

--------------------
Link Budget= $400.00

I'm a bit concerned about the cold Minnesota weather affecting the AP's in the Rootenna...do you think they will be fine? My only other question is the use of outdoor Cat5, I'm having trouble finding a reasonable priced retailer...any suggestions? Please slap me upside the head if there is anything I may have overlooked.

There may be more appropriate forums to post this on but you guys know your shit. In addition, I learned a LOT from you "assholes" and I just wanted to say thank you!

Jeremy
schoeds
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 pm

I have no experience with the ZyXel units, but I've used the Rootennas in a cold weather environment (-40°F) with other equipment and they work fine. It was a set up that was about double your's.

Home Depot carries exterior grade Cat5. A 500' pull box is about $40.

By the way, good job on the math.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby schoeds » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Thanks man.

**Edit**

The numbers I plugged in were based on the TX/RX @ 54Mbps from the spec sheet. What's the probability of actually seeing those data rates?
schoeds
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:45 am

schoeds wrote:Thanks man.

**Edit**

The numbers I plugged in were based on the TX/RX @ 54Mbps from the spec sheet. What's the probability of actually seeing those data rates?

The chance of seeing 54mbs is exactly zero. You may get 11mbs, if you're lucky; 2mbps is most likely. However, unless you're transferring huge files across the network, you'll never notice. Remember, the connection to the Internet is usually the slowest part of the link.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby schoeds » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:31 am

[quote="Thorn"]The chance of seeing 54mbs is exactly zero. You may get 11mbs, if you're lucky]

Thanks for the replies Thorn, I had a feeling that was the case but I just wanted a second opinion. I've been installing HSI broadband (contractor) for the last 4 years and I don't know how many times I've said to the customer "Remember, your internet connection is the slowest part of the link".:rolleyes: LOL I'm just getting my parents on the tech bandwagon with cameras/camcorders and they may want to access the files from the office to "show off" their new grandchildren if you know what I mean.:)
schoeds
Mini Stumbler

Postby Starpoint » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:51 am

schoeds wrote:Thanks for the replies Thorn, I had a feeling that was the case but I just wanted a second opinion. I've been installing HSI broadband (contractor) for the last 4 years and I don't know how many times I've said to the customer "Remember, your internet connection is the slowest part of the link".:rolleyes: LOL I'm just getting my parents on the tech bandwagon with cameras/camcorders and they may want to access the files from the office to "show off" their new grandchildren if you know what I mean.:)

Just make sure they do not do a google search about painting their house with latex paint and it bonding.. aka a search for "latex bondage"

(google "The dead trolls" and listen to the songs, especially the admin song)
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby schoeds » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Starpoint wrote:Just make sure they do not do a google search about painting their house with latex paint and it bonding.. aka a search for "latex bondage"

(google "The dead trolls" and listen to the songs, especially the admin song)

LMFAO!!!

Thanks a lot Starpoint, now I've got another place to go and waste my life. I'm about ready to check myself into WWW anonymous and my wife is more than ready, I'm just waiting for the day I come home to an intervention :D
schoeds
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:26 pm

schoeds wrote:LMFAO!!!

Thanks a lot Starpoint, now I've got another place to go and waste my life. I'm about ready to check myself into WWW anonymous and my wife is more than ready, I'm just waiting for the day I come home to an [color="Red"]intervention[/color] :D

They call them rolling pins...
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Re: Could you guys put your good eye on this?

Postby schoeds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi boys!

Well I'm 6 years older now and happy to report that this wireless bridge has been flawless. I've set up a couple more since then and they all have been trouble free, thanks to the contributions of you, gentlemen. Thank you!

FYI... The ZyXEL products I've used have been an excellent value, as are the Rootenna's.

Couple questions...

a. I'm about to purchase the EZ-Go Panel, from Fab-Corp, and would like to hear any first hand experience. I'm skeptical of the "you get what you pay for" mantra.

b. Know any raw WiFi-kit/board retailers?

Thanks!

Ron Paul 2012!!
schoeds
Mini Stumbler

Return to Hardware