Dlink product revews

Configuration and other hardware related information

Dlink product revews

Postby travatanman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:26 pm

Does anyone here have an opinion (and in this group, who doesn't? :D ) on the DLink DIR-655 802.11n router? I want to upgrade my 802.11g and I've always liked DLinks but haven't really used any others. Just curious what you heavy hitters like.
Call me what you want, just don't forget to call me for dinner!
travatanman

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:02 pm

travatanman wrote:Does anyone here have an opinion (and in this group, who doesn't? :D ) on the DLink DIR-655 802.11n router? I want to upgrade my 802.11g and I've always liked DLinks but haven't really used any others. Just curious what you heavy hitters like.

You mean like Cisco?
wrzwaldo

Postby itsnotme » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:39 pm

travatanman wrote:Does anyone here have an opinion (and in this group, who doesn't? :D ) on the DLink DIR-655 802.11n router? I want to upgrade my 802.11g and I've always liked DLinks but haven't really used any others. Just curious what you heavy hitters like.

What works, will work.
itsnotme

Postby G8tK33per » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:30 pm

itsnotme wrote:What works, will work.

Hmmmmm...insightful, you are.
Attachments
yoda.gif
yoda.gif (38.08 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby travatanman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:You mean like Cisco?

If that's what you like. My knowledge is limited to what's at Best Buy and CompUSA, therefore I inquire here.
travatanman

Postby streaker69 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:38 pm

travatanman wrote:If that's what you like. My knowledge is limited to what's at Best Buy and CompUSA, therefore I inquire here.

If you're talking about using equipment in a business environment then you need to stop playing in the kiddie pool and dive in with the big boys. Dlink might be ok for Grandma's wifi, but it shouldn't be used for businesses, IMO.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Airstreamer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:01 pm

D-STINK.

We got stuck with the DWL-7700ap dual band outdoor units against my reccomendation. One out of four had to have the firmware reloaded because the console port died on reboot. The Web manager doesn't like windows XP. Their cute little manager managed to blow 2 hours of work out of all the radios when I tried to change one parameter. The tech support I got said his name was Bob or something. Rajneesh is more accurate, but I actually could understand him! They claimed to not have a console command manual for the unit. Why in the hell did they ship a console cable with it then? I have an ongoing tech support case that they said they'd call me back within 24-48 hours, and that was over a week ago and not a peep. Emails to the tech support addy have been bouncing for the last two days.

I've seen several models of D-link routers that would randomly lock up every two or three weeks, all at different locations.

All in all I'd avoid them like the plague.
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby ccie4526 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:06 am

streaker69 wrote:If you're talking about using equipment in a business environment then you need to stop playing in the kiddie pool and dive in with the big boys. Dlink might be ok for Grandma's wifi, but it shouldn't be used for businesses, IMO.

Herein lies the root of most all problems I see when I'm out on a customer site. They want to have a big kid network, but don't want to spend the big kid $$ necessary to get there.... so they buy linksys and dlink and similar crap, and then wonder why everything isn't working to par.

If you're doing a home or a SO/HO implementation, yes, you can get away with that cheap stuff. But if you're looking to do a proper wireless implementation in an enterprise-class network, then you really need to look into enterprise-class equipment, both wired and wireless.

travatanman wrote:Location: West Texas

Oh really? Where? I thought I was the only one out here west of Mid/O.
---
<#include std.disclaimer.h>
AltarThug of Wired and Unwired, The Church of WiFi
http://www.churchofwifi.org
http://www.linuxisforbitches.com
http://www.wigle.net
http://www.kismetwireless.net
ccie4526

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:05 am

travatanman wrote:If that's what you like. My knowledge is limited to what's at Best Buy and CompUSA, therefore I inquire here.

You're not going to find any "heavy hitters" there!

Just did a search for Cisco at CompUSA and this was the only return.

Linky
wrzwaldo

Postby Thorn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 am

Actually, Cisco/Linksys has some very nice Linksys-branded "small business" class equipment. It is a step or two above the home gear, yet isn't nearly as pricey as the Cisco-branded items. I recommend it sometimes depending on the client's needs. You won't find it at Best Buy though.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby travatanman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Thorn wrote:Actually, Cisco/Linksys has some very nice Linksys-branded "small business" class equipment. It is a step or two above the home gear, yet isn't nearly as pricey as the Cisco-branded items. I recommend it sometimes depending on the client's needs. You won't find it at Best Buy though.

Thank you Thorn, I know I won't find it there. I'm asking what units people like and where to look for them. I know they are not at BB and CompUSA which is why I'm asking here. Where do I look, NewEgg, CDW?
travatanman

Postby itsnotme » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:15 pm

travatanman wrote:Thank you Thorn, I know I won't find it there. I'm asking what units people like and where to look for them. I know they are not at BB and CompUSA which is why I'm asking here. Where do I look, NewEgg, CDW?

Christ, stop asking for a spoonfeeding and do some research yourself! There's plenty of places online to buy what you're looking for, if you know what you're looking for. I think you primarily need to go through manufacturer's websites first and find out exactly what product you want first before you go looking through stores.
itsnotme

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:21 pm

Hey thanks for the new avatar!
wrzwaldo

Postby itsnotme » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:25 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Hey thanks for the new avatar!

Jeepers, I think I'm going to have to avoid looking at your posts from now on just so that I can avoid your avatar! :eek:
itsnotme

Postby Thorn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:13 am

travatanman wrote:Thank you Thorn, I know I won't find it there. I'm asking what units people like and where to look for them. I know they are not at BB and CompUSA which is why I'm asking here. Where do I look, NewEgg, CDW?
<shrug> Not knowing what you're exact situation is, it's hard to say exactly. I purchase from a variety of sources, depending on the client, the scope of the work, pricing, discounts for client type (e.g. government or medical), etc. CDW and NewEgg are certainly two sources; another is CyberGuys. Local supply houses can be another option. I've walked into a local electrical supply house showroom before and have snapped up some good closeout bargains. Some of the national chains like Graybar also have local showrooms where you can occasionally find bargains on different items.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Next

Return to Hardware