Eye-Fi Alternative?

Configuration and other hardware related information

Eye-Fi Alternative?

Postby topgun260 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:24 am

I'm looking for an alternative to the Eye-Fi Pro SD Card. Does anyone know of something out there or know of a way to build something similar. Size is not an issue, within reason.

I need something with:

1 - Onboard memory of at least 2G.
2 - SD card compatability and connection but doesn't have to be an actual SD card. (Maybe USB with SD card adapter?)
3 - Wifi connectivity similar to the Eye-Fi Pro card with automatic uploading of files when a laptop in PEER TO PEER mode comes within range.
4 - Higher power output than the Eye-Fi Pro Card with Wifi range of at least 200'.

Ideally it would be something like an SD card or USB flash drive that could be connected to the DVR for recording media but could also be connected to a Wifi transmitter that could be powered up separatly by remote control when I am in range with my laptop. Are there any routers available that have a usb port that will work with flash memory? And if so how would I connect the flash memory to the output of the DVR and the router at the same time or is this even possible?

This will be used in a security camera system that will be located in a difficult to reach location. The system will operate on battery power so power consumption could be an issue.

Any ideas?
topgun260
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 am

topgun260 wrote:...
Are there any routers available that have a usb port that will work with flash memory? And if so how would I connect the flash memory to the output of the DVR and the router at the same time or is this even possible?

The Linksys WRT350N does, according to some contacts. My understanding is that you'll have to load DD-WRT or some other custom firmware on it.

This whole thing sounds suspiciously like a voyeur cam, though.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Barry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 am

What the hell does this have to do with netstumbler?
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Not a Voyeur Cam

Postby topgun260 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Thorn,
I've looked at routers with the ability to use a USB flash drive however the problem there is making the flash drive available to both the router and the DVR unit. I've seen several USB switches that might work except they are a manual switch or software driven switch. I would need something that is stand alone, auto sensing and relatively inexspensive.

What I am building would probably work great for a voyeur cam but that is not my purpose. This will be similar in concept to a "game camera" but used for security in a remote area. The area does not have power or wifi access however I will be able to drive a vehicle to within a couple hundred feet of its location fairly easily.

"What the hell does this have to do with netstumbler?"
Well Barry, it probably has as much to do with NetStumbler as the Sticky labeled "Parabolic Dish Templates made easy" and the thread "Rooftop enclosure".:D
topgun260
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

topgun260 wrote:
Well Barry, it probably has as much to do with NetStumbler as the Sticky labeled "Parabolic Dish Templates made easy" and the thread "Rooftop enclosure".:D

Good point.... :D
Barry

Postby Thorn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

topgun260 wrote:Thanks Thorn,
I've looked at routers with the ability to use a USB flash drive however the problem there is making the flash drive available to both the router and the DVR unit. I've seen several USB switches that might work except they are a manual switch or software driven switch. I would need something that is stand alone, auto sensing and relatively inexspensive.

What I am building would probably work great for a voyeur cam but that is not my purpose. This will be similar in concept to a "game camera" but used for security in a remote area. The area does not have power or wifi access however I will be able to drive a vehicle to within a couple hundred feet of its location fairly easily.

You're welcome.

Game cam was my second guess, and when I saw where you're posting from, I figured it was either a game cam or very remote security, e.g. a hunting cabin. One thing to consider is solar power if the location gets enough sun. There are some pretty good designs on the web for remote WiFi repeaters that are solar powered.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Starpoint » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Thorn wrote:You're welcome.

Game cam was my second guess, and when I saw where you're posting from, I figured it was either a game cam or very remote security, e.g. a hunting cabin. One thing to consider is solar power if the location gets enough sun. There are some pretty good designs on the web for remote WiFi repeaters that are solar powered.

I have a book that shows how to make a solar wifi repeater.
Also if you go HERE and check out the unit that has the 4 gig SSD, 2x gig nics and 1 wifi with RP-SMA on back.... this unit uses 12 volts DC at 6 watts. I have seen solar panels for less than 100 that will do 12 volts at 15 watts.

I am planning on ordering me one of these and testing it soon with IPFire (very small firewall distro, 78 meg is the iso) If it works, this would be the ideal firewall device

Also on a side note.. anyone here seen CLEARnet's 3g and 4g stuff?

I spoke to their reps, the home adapter tower works with anything, interfaces with ethernet, but the usb will not work under linux yet.

I tested speeds and I get 3-4 mbit down (was inside a mall on the 3g)

I am working on the idea that since these things have unlimited data, and once they get working under linux, have a soloar powered mini device that does the uplink and can provide copper lines. Install this in a small van with the solar panels on top, it never uses your batteries and its a moving AP
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby G8tK33per » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 am

Barry wrote:Good point.... :D

p0wned!
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Barry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 am

G8tK33per wrote:p0wned!

Shut up! Freaking smart assed mods.... :D
Barry

Postby G8tK33per » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:47 am

Barry wrote:Shut up! Freaking smart assed mods.... :D

I resemble that..
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Return to Hardware