GPS devices Compatible with Stumbler

Configuration and other hardware related information

GPS devices Compatible with Stumbler

Postby bitwire » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Hello again,

I have not seen on these forums any recomendations for GPS devices.

(I used the God-Given search function... Lol! :) )

Anyway's, I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with perhaps a cheaper (IE: Less than $150 US, 75 Euro...) GPS unit that can communicate with NetStumbler.

Just curious, as I am now looking for a GPS unit that has both road capability (Maps...) and can be used for Wardriving.

Thanks in advance! :cool:
bitwire
Mini Stumbler

Postby theprez98 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:18 pm

http://www.stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_4_0.html

(As of) Version 0.2.00 (May 16, 2001):

* Works only with Lucent, Dell, and Toshiba cards
* Doesn't crash the other PCMCIA devices that you have installed.
* Should now work with USB devices.
* Runs on Windows 2000, 95, 98 (and Me? - Untested).
* Saves the data instead of making a 0 byte file.
* Supports NMEA0183 GPS devices.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Search-foo is weak in this one.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:41 am

This is the second thread this guy has made about "searching and not finding" his answers. I don't think his search-foo is weak. I think his reading and comprehension skills are way below par.

It has been asked time and time again about GPS. Bitwire, go read the welcome desk if you haven't done so before. After you read it, read it again untill you understand it.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:28 am

Tell ya what, since I'm in a good mood, here's a cookie.

I just got myself one of these: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BT-5&cpc=SCH

and have it connected via a standard Bluetooth USB adapter and it works just dandy.

Once I get the right pigtail in, I'll be using this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=700-0000486-AN&cpc=SCH
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby bitwire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:13 am

brwrdrvr wrote:This is the second thread this guy has made about "searching and not finding" his answers. I don't think his search-foo is weak. I think his reading and comprehension skills are way below par.

It has been asked time and time again about GPS. Bitwire, go read the welcome desk if you haven't done so before. After you read it, read it again untill you understand it.

Geez, thanks......

Not to be rude (Unlike some..:rolleyes:...) But I just asked to see what others think of certain devices, and to let others know that there is a price range to be concerned about.
Frankly, Between the number of clients that I have to juggle, Individual servers, and now a family emergency, I have latlely had very little time for this new adventure. the last post was written in an airport, in dire hopes that perhaps someone as nice as Amish Stumbler would find it and rescue me. Yes, I did only spend about 10 minutes looking through the forums, yet, to be honest, I didnt have time, as I was very busy with the other travel aspects.

I am not trying to make excuses, nor trying to contridict this set of forums, yet this is a community, is it not? Please dont harrass people, there are other reasons why people ask these questions.

Thanks for the Critisism, yet please keep it contructive.

Also, thank you very much Amish Stumbler for your Kind Links. :)
bitwire
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:23 am

bitwire wrote:Geez, thanks......

Not to be rude (Unlike some..:rolleyes:...) But I just asked to see what others think of certain devices, and to let others know that there is a price range to be concerned about.
Frankly, Between the number of clients that I have to juggle, Individual servers, and now a family emergency, I have latlely had very little time for this new adventure. the last post was written in an airport, in dire hopes that perhaps someone as nice as Amish Stumbler would find it and rescue me. Yes, I did only spend about 10 minutes looking through the forums, yet, to be honest, I didnt have time, as I was very busy with the other travel aspects.

I am not trying to make excuses, nor trying to contridict this set of forums, yet this is a community, is it not? Please dont harrass people, there are other reasons why people ask these questions.

You're very welcome, Mr. Powell, I'm all about the service.
streaker69

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:29 am

bitwire wrote:Geez, thanks......

Well as a general rule we do not spoon feed in these forums. And going by your track record you seem to be needing a lot of spoon feeding. This is the reason I suggested you read and reread the Welcome Desk. I figured you hadn't really searched at all for what you were looking for, because it has been covered many times before.

Since I am not in as good of a mood as the Amish Psychic, you need to spend more time searching the next time you feel like asking a question.

Yes, this is a "community". It is a community of people that did their own searching and looking for the knowledge that they needed. If we do our searching for a piece of information and we find ourselves at a moment where we might need a nudge in the right direction then we ask the "community". We don't ask for the answer. we ask for a direction to look.

Personally, I could care less what personal problems you are having. I care even less that you are lacking in the time needed to search for yourself. We all have things in our lives that keep us from being able to journey a quest that we want to accomplish. The way I see it, the time it took you to post the question, you could have found the answer you were looking for.

Like me, Love me, I don't care. Just for the NanoGod's sakes, ponder, search, and learn. You will be better received in the Netstumbler Community. The more easily searched and found questions you ask the more you will be frowned upon.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 am

Damn, did you eat some bad Crawfish?
streaker69

Postby bitwire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 am

streaker69 wrote:You're very welcome, Mr. Powell, I'm all about the service.

Oh snap, Googled?

Oh Noes! My Personal Information is no longer personal!

(Frantically hides all social security cards, credit cards, and mother's maiden name)

Ha!
bitwire
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 am

bitwire wrote:Oh snap, Googled?

Oh Noes! My Personal Information is no longer personal!

(Frantically hides all social security cards, credit cards, and mother's maiden name)

Ha!

They don't call me Psychic for no reason.
streaker69

Postby Barry » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:08 am

streaker69 wrote:They don't call me Psychic for no reason.

They actually said psychotic, but you were busy turd herding and misheard them.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 am

streaker69 wrote:Damn, did you eat some bad Crawfish?

Nah.

Just tired of dealing with the mass of stupidity and or laziness. Thank the NanoGods I am taking vacation in August. I just hope I don't implode by then.

Edit:

/Rant for my own good

I just know that I was registered on this forum for about 6 months before I did any posting. I had no idea what wardriving was. I had a friend that had mentioned it about 2 years earlier and when I finally had a wireless device (laptop), the phrase popped back in my head. So I started to search this hobby out. I found the NS forums and a few other places. I read a lot of things in this forum and knew I would find a crap load of information here. I also seen how the regulars were and knew I had found a "home" (although some-what messy) that I could hang out and learn from by watching and reading. I make mistakes in our posts, we all do. I just think that no matter how smart or even who Bitwire is he should do some friggin searching like any other cum-twat iTard that follows a Google lead into this forum.

It was obvious he didn't do any significant searching before posting a stupid ass question. He even admitted that he only spent 10 minutes looking around. I say he needs to read the friggin Welcome Desk instead of wasting bandwidth posting dumb-ass questions again. Any other newb would have been flamed and binned by now.

/Rant off
brwrdrvr

Postby streaker69 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 pm

But, he's part of the Bitwire Server Administration Team, he deserves to be cut a little slack.

Sarcasm mode full on
streaker69

Return to Hardware