Lucent Silver cards?

Configuration and other hardware related information

Lucent Silver cards?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:39 am

I have a Lucent WaveLAN Silver (Turbo 11 Mbps) card. I have tried multiple versions of Lucent firmware and I still can't see any wireless networks.

I have an SSID "protected" Cisco Aironet AP about 30 feet from my Sony Vaio Z505 laptop. NetStumbler seems to see the card, but never sees an AP.

Does this card work with NetStumbler or do I need a Lucent Gold card?

Lucent Silver Cards

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2001 12:36 pm

I am using a Lucent Orinoco Silver card with Win2k and latest drivers from Orinoco and it is working fine. No problems seeing other wireless networks. Obviously hooking up an external attenna helps greatly. :-)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:08 pm

Hi,

What antenna did you buy? How much was it? Did you mean you can see more networks when you were from the car?? if not, how far are the other networks.. how many walls do you think are between you and the networks... sorry for asking lots of questions... but I want to buy an antenna too and I would appreciate if you could answer each and every question... THANK YOU!!!! THANKS!!!!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:11 pm

Sadly I can't answer too many of your questions since my situation is slightly different then yours. :-)

I am lucky enough to have an acquantance who works with wireless networks and had some extra equipment that he could lend me so I didn't 'buy' anything. At least not yet. :-) The external attenna is an omni but other then that I am not sure of brand name. I have been doing all of my scanning while driving thru streets at night. Sometimes swinging through parking lots of larger more technical buildings to see if I could pick up anything.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you actual specs on what they are using. I am thinking about using the specs from http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/wlg/448 to make a small directional attenna to play with thouhg. :-)

What I really need is something that will extend that darn Lucent pig tail without dropping too much db. Not sure what the point of having a decent attenna is when it can only go a foot away from card. :-)

John K.

Return to Hardware