Lucent silver to gold

Configuration and other hardware related information

Postby hakz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:35 am

MikeP928 wrote:Please take the time to proofread your posts. We are more prone to help with problems if we don't have to spend time interpreting the question.

Where are you located?

Does WZC see the card? If yes, does it allow you to enter a 128 bit key?

MikeP

:eek: sorry about that. As you can see, my typing has improved :D. I was on my brother's laptop (pcmcia card slot), his keyboard is damaged, some keys need to be pushed harder, etc, and using laptops is really uncomfortable.

Will fix it up now.

I'm located in the UK and Windows can connect to my wireless connection (although it uses Wep64). My connections doesn't have 128 wep so I can't tell whether the card will support it.
hakz
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:55 am

hakz wrote:I'm located in the UK and Windows can connect to my wireless connection (although it uses Wep64). My connections doesn't have 128 wep so I can't tell whether the card will support it.

Do you realise that the ONLY difference between the Silver and the Gold cards is that Silver does WEP64 only, while the Gold does both WEP64 and WEP128? If you don't have a connection using WEP128, then upgrading the card is rather useless.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby hakz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:34 am

yeah i know, is there a way to check though? When I try to upgrade the firmware, it doesn't detect the card, and the orinoco client manager doesn't either.
hakz
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:41 am

hakz wrote:yeah i know, is there a way to check though? When I try to upgrade the firmware, it doesn't detect the card, ...
What is "it"?

hakz wrote:... and the orinoco client manager doesn't either.
You may need to get a different version of the ORiNOCO CM.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Dutch » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:58 am

hakz wrote:yeah i know, is there a way to check though? When I try to upgrade the firmware, it doesn't detect the card, and the orinoco client manager doesn't either.

Appearently the attempt to upgrade your ORiNOCO card's firmware also broke your shift key. Better fix that first, it might be the reason why the CM won't detect your card. CM's, just like Moderators here, are know to be finicky about using correct capitalization and spelling. Thats why it is in the forum rules, up in the Welcome Desk section. Which you did read, right ?

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby sys6x » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:27 am

How do we know we killed the card? I supposed it isn't detected and both LEDs are dead?

Mine is still detected in both WZC and NetStumbler after running alchemy and getting "Error writing new PDA". As mentioned before, WaveLAN Orinoco Silver. I am doing this because if I want my roommate's wireless, I need a 128bit WE encryption... I told him it doesn't give him much more security but as usual, people don't want to hear anything. I can't wait to show him how weak it is :)

By the way I like your humor Dutch :)
sys6x
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:49 am

sys6x wrote:By the way I like your humor Dutch :)

Which planet are you from ? Ask anybody here. I've got absolutely no sense of humour. I'm dead serious all the time. Except when I'm watching G8t wield The Bat<tm>. Then I'm just plain happy.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby sys6x » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:33 am

There is no user named anybody in these forums...

Okay, anyone can tell me the same thing?

When alchemy'ing my card, should I have the original driver or the WildPackets one would do the job?

Since it isn't really working right now (details mentioned 2 and 10 posts earlier), I thought about reflashing the card to the original firmware but it is telling me I don't have a/the (don't remember exactly) good driver (version) but it still offers me to flash it. Should I? I don't want to bork it more than it is right now...
sys6x
Mini Stumbler

Postby MikeP928 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:56 am

sys6x wrote:There is no user named anybody in these forums...

Okay, anyone can tell me the same thing?

When alchemy'ing my card, should I have the original driver or the WildPackets one would do the job?

Since it isn't really working right now (details mentioned 2 and 10 posts earlier), I thought about reflashing the card to the original firmware but it is telling me I don't have a/the (don't remember exactly) good driver (version) but it still offers me to flash it. Should I? I don't want to bork it more than it is right now...

Yes, go ahead and flash it with either code. That should take care of the issue.

And if your little weiney will fit the antenna connector, go ahead and bork it to your heart's content.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby streaker69 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 am

MikeP928 wrote:Yes, go ahead and flash it with either code. That should take care of the issue.

And if your little weiney will fit the antenna connector, go ahead and bork it to your heart's content.

Bork, Bork, bork.
Attachments
swedish-chef.jpg
swedish-chef.jpg (5.34 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby tomd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Just wanted to thank all of you guys, i got and Alchemy'd my ORiNOCO Silver today, went painlessly! Now posting with ORiNOCO Silver -> Gold on 128bit WEP.
tomd
Mini Stumbler

Postby Starpoint » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 pm

And here I have 13 Gold cards (rebranded) for sale .....
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 am

It's a Zombie! Kill it!! (With your new AR-15's....)
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:57 am

Barry wrote:It's a Zombie! Kill it!! (With your new AR-15's....)

This is an annual event that the gun club I'm thinking of joining holds each year.

Contagion 2010 the Ultimate Zombie Shoot! Contagion2010.us
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Previous

Return to Hardware