Lucent silver to gold

Configuration and other hardware related information

Lucent silver to gold

Postby pulz » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:24 am

I recently recived a lucent orinocco card from a freind of mine...

I noticed the card was a silver and i have started researching into turning it to gold card to get a 128bit wep support...

If you google this subject your gonna get a bunch of hits but all of them seem to be using a mac ap base to or an orinocco ap...

But a freind of me told me that he upgraded with some sort of pctool on his card, does anyone here know where i can find this ?

I have also searched the forums, but i whernt able to find these pctools for flashing the card directly of the laptop.

So i would be gratefull for hints for flashing my wireless card, so i can secure my wlan a bit more :) (I dont feel secure with 64bit)
pulz
Mini Stumbler

Postby BlahBoy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:16 pm

Have a read of this and see if it helps. You need a Win98, 98SE (or even WinME! :rolleyes: ) machine. See if that works.
BlahBoy
Mini Stumbler

Postby R4Z13L » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:18 am

you can also try THIS...
Are you sure you've got no wireless access at home?!:D
R4Z13L
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:08 pm

Originally posted by R4Z13L
you can also try THIS...

this is exactly the way i mentioned in the FAQ...
has anyone gotten this to work? no success for me.

to pulz
the apple/orinoco AP methods do not work. the only verified method so far is the one using the airport slot in a mac.
see the netstumbler FAQ.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby pulz » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:19 pm

Well, they didnt work out for me here..

So maybe your right
pulz
Mini Stumbler

Postby peekitty » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:06 pm

The nextechwireless drivers definately don't work for the Avaya branded version of the silver card. I'm curious if the Apple hack will, or if it only works for Orinoco branded cards.

I should have an opportunity to find out this week.
peekitty

Postby lincomatic » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:09 pm

Originally posted by peekitty
The nextechwireless drivers definately don't work for the Avaya branded version of the silver card. I'm curious if the Apple hack will, or if it only works for Orinoco branded cards.

I should have an opportunity to find out this week.

the airport slot hack works on any branded card. i've done it on orinoco & avaya.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Analysis of the Windows-based Hack

Postby lincomatic » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:04 pm

OK, let's put this one to bed now. I've communicated with several others who say it hasn't worked for them either.
I've done some analysis, and contrary to the claims, the windows-based hack DOES NOT contain modified drivers. I diffed the files w/ the originals from ORiNOCO, and here is what i found:

drivers (winter 2002 7.4 release):
all the files are identical except for the INF's. the INF in the "hacked" version merely removes all references to cards other than the ORiNOCO silver (Lucent_Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE-C908)

firmware updater (8.10 f/w):
again, the only difference is that references to the non-silver cards have been removed. The silver card's string has been moved to the front of the list, and the others are all filled w/ zeros.

I seriously doubt that this hack works at all. The only thing they've done is make the drivers & firmware updater work only w/ the silver card.

BTW, as has been discussed before in other threads, for anyone who wants to run the Lucent ORiNOCO f/w updater w/ non-Lucent branded cards, cards, all you have to do is:
1) via the device manager, override the driver you have installed w/ the ORiNOCO-branded drivers
2) use a binary editor and insert the proper string for your non-Lucent-branded card. Just search for the string
"Lucent_Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE-911F" and replace it w/ the proper one for your card and terminate it with a NULL. Then run the updater. This will work w/ any version of the firmware updater.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby stargo » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:51 am

Update on 2004-06-21:
Before you try to reproduce the steps below, please have a look at lincomatics great alchemy windows app, which simplifies this process, and makes it much more reliable and safe to use. The chance to fry your hardware should be much lower ;-)
You can find more info here: http://forums.netstumbler.com/showpost.php?p=79282&postcount=262

------------------------------------------------------------------
The information if the card is silver or gold is stored in the cards PDA-Records. These are copied into the firmware when flashing.
What the apple-update-method does is flashing a firmware with fixed records, so the card is 104 bit. But since the PDA is not changed, the card will revert back to silver when being flashed on a pc or when running with the ap-firmware.
The obvious solution is to change the PDA.
WARNING: You are writing directly to the cards flash-memory. This could destroy your card, so be shure you know what youd do! I take no responsibilities for dead cards.

1. Get the files flash.exe and flash.ini from Intersil:
http://www.intersil.com/rnwscripts/custfaq.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1992
2. Boot to real dos mode
3. run
flash -5v -pd card.pda
(this dumps the pda of your card)
4. edit card.pda and change the line '6 109 XX2 1 2b 0 0' to
'6 109 3 3 2b 0 0' (replace only the two values after 109)
If you have an original orinoco card, then XX is nonexistant, else the two XX are your card-manufacturer-code.)
5. run
flash -5v -p card.pda
(this flashes the content of card.pda to your card)

Now your card has a new PDA but will still behave like a silver card. To really make it to a gold card, you simply have to flash the latest firmware to the card again (with the windows-update utility).
After removing and reinserting the card, The Client-Manager version information should show that you have a lucent gold card and that enhanced wep encryption is allowed.
stargo
Mini Stumbler

Postby pulz » Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:14 pm

Originally posted by stargo
1. Get the files flash.exe and flash.ini from Intersil:
http://www.intersil.com/rnwscripts/custfaq.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1992
2. Boot to real dos mode
3. run
flash -5v -pd card.pda
(this dumps the pda of your card)
4. edit card.pda and change the line '6 109 XX2 1 2b 0 0' to
'6 109 3 3 2b 0 0' (replace only the two values after 109)
If you have an original orinoco card, then XX is nonexistant, else the two XX are your card-manufacturer-code.)
5. run
flash -5v -p card.pda
(this flashes the content of card.pda to your card)

Now your card has a new PDA but will still behave like a silver card. To really make it to a gold card, you simply have to flash the latest firmware to the card again (with the windows-update utility).
After removing and reinserting the card, The Client-Manager version information should show that you have a lucent gold card and that enhanced wep encryption is allowed. [/B]

I tried this method out, but got an get error message:

Writing pda
rid read error. offeset busy bit never cleared
rid fd01 read error
failed
error encountered

When i where trying to flash the card, strangley enough it still works..
So doesnt realy seem like it flashed anything
pulz
Mini Stumbler

It works!!

Postby peekitty » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:37 pm

It worked perfectly for me -the Avaya is now gold and I've tested it on two different APs running 128-bit WEP. I ran Flash.exe with the -legacy and -vb arguments, but otherwise followed stargo's instructions.
Many thanks stargo!!

to pulz - can you post your modified card.pda?
peekitty

Postby TheSovereign » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:47 am

anyone wanna post the flash program im having trouble getting it
SO SAYS TheSovereign
TheSovereign

Postby peekitty » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:18 am

It's still on Intersil's site, try this:

flash.exe
flash.ini
flash.pdf
peekitty

Postby TheSovereign » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:12 am

something is wrong with my webfilters it wont let me save
i click the the link and nothing happens

i guess ill just uninstall them and reinstall them
SO SAYS TheSovereign
TheSovereign

Postby lincomatic » Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:03 pm

tried it on a winbook xli w/ an orinoco silver. i booted it w/ a WinME boot disk. the pda reads ok but i get "error command 322 never signaled status" when i try to write it. i'll try a different laptop.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Hardware