Motorola Canopy Manual

Configuration and other hardware related information

Motorola Canopy Manual

Postby renderman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm

I recently acquired from a friend and old Motorola Canopy subscriber module, Model 2400 along with the PoE adapter.

The unit does'nt light up when I plug in the adapter but that could be a whole bunch of other issues.

Googling around has yielded very little information about them. As is common, the whole canopy line is heavily shrouded behind resellers.

I just want to see if anyone around here has a manual so I can see what I can make this thing do. I don't expect alot but it would be neat to be able to use it in a site survey mode to detect other canopy gear.

Render
renderman

Postby paintballaddict » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:01 pm

renderman wrote:I recently acquired from a friend and old Motorola Canopy subscriber module, Model 2400 along with the PoE adapter.

The unit does'nt light up when I plug in the adapter but that could be a whole bunch of other issues.

Googling around has yielded very little information about them. As is common, the whole canopy line is heavily shrouded behind resellers.

I just want to see if anyone around here has a manual so I can see what I can make this thing do. I don't expect alot but it would be neat to be able to use it in a site survey mode to detect other canopy gear.

Render

Not sure what model you have but this may help you
http://motorola.wirelessbroadbandsupport.com/software/ptp/

GUN CONTROL: using both hands :D

Radio Shack: You've got questions? We have blank stares . . .
paintballaddict

Postby renderman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:47 pm

It's an older unit probably already retired, model #2400 manufactured 2003. I still see alot of them around installed all over the rural areas, hence my interest to do some sniffing around.
renderman

Postby Wolphin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 pm

To get onto a canopy network, you need to know the channel code -- this code does NOT follow the IEEE 802.11a or b/g channels - they are priatary(sp?)! On top of that, they may have a RADIUS server as added protection. One thing to note, an entire ISP could be on the same code, and the network would work fine, since the equipment uses synced signallaing when multiple radios are on one site. If there's more than 2, it's an external device that has an atomic clock in it.

Nor will they work with anything but themselves, and since they don't follow any standard (Except using the unlicenced bands), they are really, really bad for other equipment co-existing in the same band! You will never see them on a wireless scanner (since they're not IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n devices), except if it is a spectrom analyser.
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Wolphin wrote:To get onto a canopy network, you need to know the channel code -- this code does NOT follow the IEEE 802.11a or b/g channels - they are priatary(sp?)! On top of that, they may have a RADIUS server as added protection. One thing to note, an entire ISP could be on the same code, and the network would work fine, since the equipment uses synced signallaing when multiple radios are on one site. If there's more than 2, it's an external device that has an atomic clock in it.

I may have access (legitimate) to a canopy network to test on and tinker. I'm just curious what you can see and what can be done with a subscriber module alone. I was asked recently at a conference about the cenopy technology and did'nt have a good answer.

Nor will they work with anything but themselves, and since they don't follow any standard (Except using the unlicenced bands), they are really, really bad for other equipment co-existing in the same band! You will never see them on a wireless scanner (since they're not IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n devices), except if it is a spectrom analyser.

I've run into them several times stomping all over client networks. Thank goodness for my Wi-Spy, helped me a bunch and gave me pretty graphs to put into the report.

I'm curious if I can use the subscriber devices internal firmware to tease out some information. I've seen some that have an internal 'site survey' that would report back the nearby networks, a very rudimentary netstumbler kind of thing. At least with that information you may be able to determine what WISP's are in the area as an option, coverage, etc.
renderman

Return to Hardware