newbie buying a wireless router

Configuration and other hardware related information

newbie buying a wireless router

Postby Ikonen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Hello everyone. I just need a little help choosing which router to buy, so I thought I would ask around a bit to get opinions of those more knowledgeable than I.

Right now, it's between the Linksys EA4500 and the latest Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station. I narrowed it down because my friend's guide to the best new wireless routers recommended them both. As a parent of 2, I really like the sound of the Linksys device's customizable parental controls for each device connected to the network. I know that Apple also has parental controls, but I don't know how they compare. Does anyone know the similarities / differences here?

Performance-wise, I won't be doing anything fancy. Just a typical N home network. I will be streaming lots of videos from online, and perhaps doing some other networking stuff for my work. Are these two devices pretty much equal?

Just in general - what wireless router do you use? Why do you like or dislike it?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
"Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One must eat muffins quite calmly, it is the only way to eat them."
Ikonen
Mini Stumbler

Return to Hardware