Parabolic Dish Templates made easy

Configuration and other hardware related information

Postby waytostoned » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:26 pm

So if I am understanding this correctly, the Dish 500 dish can be used, but mount the can dead center like the primestar setup?

I was thinking maybe the can have to be offset, like this setup...
http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

(I know it is a biquad, but you get the idea. ;) )
Git-r-done!
User avatar
waytostoned
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:17 pm

Postby Airstreamer » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:16 pm

[quote="waytostoned"]So if I am understanding this correctly, the Dish 500 dish can be used, but mount the can dead center like the primestar setup?

I was thinking maybe the can have to be offset, like this setup...
http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

(I know it is a biquad, but you get the idea. ]

Right. Perhaps I should have been a bit more explicit, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the primestar link that the feed horn was mounted on the VERTICAL CENTER LINE of the dish, but offset down. Just like the original feed horn. In fact, if you could put an LNB in between the two on the 500, it would look at a bird at 120. (If there was one.)

Ooops. Brain fart. One bird is at 110 and the other is at 119 for Dish 500.

So the middle one would be 115 ish....
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
Airstreamer
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: A little North of Reason

Postby waytostoned » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:55 am

Great news! Thank you guys for all your help. :)

Side note: The other Dish network dish I own is also slightly oblique, not round like I previously thought. So guess I'm going to keep the original dual LNB on the dish, for simplicity sake, and mount the can/bi-quad on top in between 110' and 119' then.
Git-r-done!
User avatar
waytostoned
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:17 pm

Postby gangster429 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:01 am

here is another site http://www.nzwireless.org/content-8.html
with a good turorial
gangster429
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:45 am

Sources for parabolic stuff?

Postby RF addict » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:06 pm

I haven't had any decent luck at all finding good parabolic parts. Wal-Mart was worthless and so were the three dollar stores in the area. I keep finding those crappy deep dish wire mesh type strainers and that's all.

What I wanted was one of the fryer strainer thingies that is made with the welded chrome concentric wires but I can't even find one on-line. I suppose if I knew the "technical" cooking term for it my googling would be a bit better.

This is what I was thinking of:

Image

If you guys have any links to some of this stuff please post it.


RF addict
RF addict
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Postby streaker69 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:09 pm

RF addict wrote:I haven't had any decent luck at all finding good parabolic parts. Wal-Mart was worthless and so were the three dollar stores in the area. I keep finding those crappy deep dish wire mesh type strainers and that's all.

What I wanted was one of the fryer strainer thingies that is made with the welded chrome concentric wires but I can't even find one on-line. I suppose if I knew the "technical" cooking term for it my googling would be a bit better.

If you guys have any links to some of this stuff please post it.


RF addict


WOK or Pasta Strainer would be good search terms.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby RF addict » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:32 pm

Yea, one site referred to it as a dumpling scoop. All I can find are recipies so far.
:rolleyes:

I thought the one in the pic looked pretty smooth and more professional that all the others.
RF addict
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Postby streaker69 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:38 pm

RF addict wrote:Yea, one site referred to it as a dumpling scoop. All I can find are recipies so far.
:rolleyes:

I thought the one in the pic looked pretty smooth and more professional that all the others.


I think a dumpling scoop might be a bit small for what you wanna do.

I have a really nice pasta strainer that would probably work perfect. Not sure where you're from but if you can hit a Resturant Supply place (like Adam and Jamie do when they do stuff like this) that would probably be youre best bet, cause then you could browse for stuff and measure it as ya go.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby RF addict » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:06 pm

I wouldn't know a dumpling scoop from a ....... so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm near Lawrence, KS and about 50 miles from Kansas City so finding a cooking supply place may be an option. Some relation suggested Pier 1 Imports. I know there's one in Lawrence but I haven't made it up there yet.

I had hoped someone had that exact model for sale by order somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

BTW, I found that metal Skoal can lids are the perfect size for a groundplane. I stuck a new BNC end up through a hole in one then put a piece of wire in it for the element. I used the crimp tube to hold the lid in place. The entire thing was held in place by a bent piece of aluminum with a couple of Wal-Mart suction cups on it. It works great for a quick antenna to slap on the back of the laptop and actually performs fairly well.

Image
RF addict
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Postby streaker69 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:10 pm

RF addict wrote:I wouldn't know a dumpling scoop from a ....... so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm near Lawrence, KS and about 50 miles from Kansas City so finding a cooking supply place may be an option. Some relation suggested Pier 1 Imports. I know there's one in Lawrence but I haven't made it up there yet.

I had hoped someone had that exact model for sale by order somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

BTW, I found that metal Skoal can lids are the perfect size for a groundplane. I stuck a new BNC end up through a hole in one then put a piece of wire in it for the element. I used the crimp tube to hold the lid in place. The entire thing was held in place by a bent piece of aluminum with a couple of Wal-Mart suction cups on it. It works great for a quick antenna to slap on the back of the laptop and actually performs fairly well.

Image



Neat idea about the Skoal lid, but please don't tell me you're pumping 2.4ghz through a BNC connector? Please say that was a typo.

I would read up on what diameters and depths of parabolic dishes work best and then roam through a supply store with a tape meausure until you find something. Woks are normally great parabolics, and they're normally made of excellent metal.

I wouldn't shop at Pier 1 since they're gonna be way overpriced cause you're paying for the name outside the store.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby RF addict » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:40 pm

Yea, it's a BNC.

Actually it's an SMA to male BNC adaptor that comes up through the aluminum bracket then the BNC snaps down on it.

It's all I had to work with and I was bored, but it seems to work ok. When I get my hands on some female N cable end connectors I'm going to try it with that.

Also, I think I may have found the skimmer.
http://www.tmeinc.biz/fryer.htm

It's about half way down the page. It's a 9" but the depth is hard to see from the picture.
RF addict
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:44 pm

FYI: BNC is rated up to 11GHz @ 50 Ohm and around 4GHz @ 75 Ohm. The trick is making sure you have 50 Ohm connectors when matching to 50 Ohm gear as both 50 and 75 Ohm connectors will couple to each other.
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby Airstreamer » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:24 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:FYI: BNC is rated up to 11GHz @ 50 Ohm and around 4GHz @ 75 Ohm. The trick is making sure you have 50 Ohm connectors when matching to 50 Ohm gear as both 50 and 75 Ohm connectors will couple to each other.


Depending on dielectric. (I think.)
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
Airstreamer
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: A little North of Reason

Postby RF addict » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:56 pm

I ordered a couple of the scoops the other day and this is what I ended up with after removing the handle.

What do you guys think? Is it too small or too shallow to be of any use?

Image


Image
RF addict
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Postby Thorn » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:23 pm

RF addict wrote:I ordered a couple of the scoops the other day and this is what I ended up with after removing the handle.

What do you guys think? Is it too small or too shallow to be of any use?

Image


Image

It looks OK. Have you tried applying Scruge's program (first post this thread) against the measurements?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest