PCMCIA versus USB comparison

Configuration and other hardware related information

PCMCIA versus USB comparison

Postby Phobik » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:51 pm

I've read the "whats the best card" sticky an reckon my needs to be more or less the following:

I'm trying to get a nearby open hotspot in my bedroom. I don't have any wireless devices other then my recent D-Link DSL-G624T ftp://ftp.dlink.es/Adsl/DSL-G624T/Data_sheet/DSL-G624T_Data%20Sheet.pdf
wich unfortunately doesn't support WDS.

I'm looking for a lowcost solution, and possibly to use in other locations other then my house, for the same purpose, not necessarily War-driving, just being able to connect to any nearby public networks (I understand protected networks can be accessed, but I'm not familiar with neither the method or the legality of it, hence it probably doesn't get on the top of the priority list).

I plan do build a high gain Cantena, or yagi, or whichever comes to mind/need (satelite dish + cantena looks high-gain-nly apealing) to aid in the reception.

I understand there will be a need for a pigtail, which are the most expensive part of a DIY antena, although i've heard about yagi designs using a soldered cable to the antena, but since that only solves one problem, it still needs to connect to the pc adapter.

I've seen the classic orinoco and it's specs, and to use one, I could use a pcmcia-pci adaptor for my desktop pc, (and in a possible laptop if i ever get one) but would be conditioned to spend more money on a long pigtail in order to have some local-mobility.

A USB option has the advantage to use a long and considerably cheaper, USB extension cable, to provide flexibility of positioning, but is possibly weaker (specialy compared to Orinoco's). But i think it can also be used in a cantena, perhaps not with the same results, but benefic from some kind of enhancement (here i recall the satelite dish again).

I've found what seems to be a cheap, but resourceful USB adapter, with a external connector, meaning that I could use the cheap USB extension meaning a smaller (and cheaper) pigtail, while also able to use any external antena, home-made or not.

Here's the link for it, it has a small spec list:
http://www.leiritronica.pt/informatica/product_info.php?cPath=306_339_348&products_id=2901

Feedback welcome and thanks for reading.
Phobik
Mini Stumbler

Postby Starpoint » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:57 am

Phobik wrote:I've read the "whats the best card" sticky an reckon my needs to be more or less the following:

I'm trying to get a nearby open hotspot in my bedroom. I don't have any wireless devices other then my recent D-Link DSL-G624T ftp://ftp.dlink.es/Adsl/DSL-G624T/Data_sheet/DSL-G624T_Data%20Sheet.pdf

I'm looking for a lowcost solution, and possibly to use in other locations other then my house, for the same purpose, not necessarily War-driving, just being able to connect to any nearby public networks (I understand protected networks can be accessed, but I'm not familiar with neither the method or the legality of it, hence it probably doesn't get on the top of the priority list).

I plan do build a high gain Cantena, or yagi, or whichever comes to mind/need (satelite dish + cantena looks high-gain-nly apealing) to aid in the reception.

I understand there will be a need for a pigtail, which are the most expensive part of a DIY antena, although i've heard about yagi designs using a soldered cable to the antena, but since that only solves one problem, it still needs to connect to the pc adapter.

I've seen the classic orinoco and it's specs, and to use one, I could use a pcmcia-pci adaptor for my desktop pc, (and in a possible laptop if i ever get one) but would be conditioned to spend more money on a long pigtail in order to have some local-mobility.

A USB option has the advantage to use a long and considerably cheaper, USB extension cable, to provide flexibility of positioning, but is possibly weaker (specialy compared to Orinoco's). But i think it can also be used in a cantena, perhaps not with the same results, but benefic from some kind of enhancement (here i recall the satelite dish again).

I've found what seems to be a cheap, but resourceful USB adapter, with a external connector, meaning that I could use the cheap USB extension meaning a smaller (and cheaper) pigtail, while also able to use any external antena, home-made or not.

http://www.leiritronica.pt/informatica/product_info.php?cPath=306_339_348&products_id=2901

Concerning point # 2... Access points, RULE #1, CONNECTING TO AN AP YOU ARE NOT THE LEGAL OWNER OR HAVE PERMISSION TO USE IS A CRIME. And this forum is riddled with LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) If you are looking to get a USB wifi adapter that has an externa connection for antenna's, there are a few out there. Just remember that unless its listed in the "supported hardware" section, NS probably won't work and if it does, the readings will not be accurate.

If you are new to Wifi, there are a few books out there that are most excellent reading, and Uncle Google is your friend.

Overall its good to know the inner workings of a wifi network.... it adds worth to the network engineer and can be alot of fun.
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby beakmyn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 am

Phobik wrote:I've read the "whats the best card" sticky an reckon my needs to be more or less the following:

Please define your definition of an "open hotspot". Be very careful here unless you know it to be freely available for public use. I.E. you've talked to the owner and been given permission to use it. Typically even open access points have strings attached like you being a customer of the establishment. The wifi is there as a convience not a free for all use from you're bedroom. A wireless router is not a client.

Phobik wrote:#2

Legality is simple: Unless you have explicit permission from the owner, it's theft of services and illegal.

What is lowcost? What operating system? What kind of computer?

Phobik wrote:#3

You're going to need to do a lot more research before you jump into this. It sounds simple but wifi is a two-way connection. Let me give you an analogy: You can scream as loud as you want to a deaf person, they're not gonna hear you.

Phobik wrote:

Homebrew soldering and cabling don't produce good results unless you know what you're doing. Sure you can solder on a pigtail (assuming you buy the correct cable you can't use TV cable for this). Then you'll probably so us the Netstumbler graph of before and after. What you don't know is that graph means absolutely nothing unless it's a card with a Hermes chipset creating it.

Phobik wrote:

Pigtails by definition are meant to be short like a pig's tail. Pigtails give you covienance of a short flexible wire (higher loss) for making a connection to larger lower loss cable to the antenna.

Phobik wrote:

A usb wifi adapter inside a cantenna, satellite dish, etc is not an antenna it is simply a reflector with the device at the focal point. It's a crutch for not being able to do the job correctly in the first place.

So, you've got a lot of work ahead of you and a lot of reading up on RF theory to do. Can any idiot build an antenna? Sure. Safely? Doubt it. Optimized? Not a chance. The best you can hope for is unity gain unless you want to learn the how and why and then you'll do better.

But first you'll need to better define what you're trying to accomplish and the environment you're in.

Remember 2.4Ghz is near the resonant frequency of a water molecule and as such it makes the molecule vibrate, which causes heat. Your body is 70% water get it too close and bad things can happen.
beakmyn

Postby Phobik » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:16 am

I understand a the difference between building an antena and a reflector for one inside a USB adapter. But if the reflector works, I'm fine with that, considering no need for expensive low loss cables.

I've done research on DIY antena building. When you say bad things can happen you are referring to greating an antena with too much gain and out of regulations? If so, is there a way to adjust the card's trasmit power for safety?

I got a bit confused on the pigtail issue. You say they are meant to be small and flexible to connect to long lower loss antena cables. I thought it was just one cable going from the adapter antena connector straight to the antena sma connector.

On the legality issue, i'm looking to connect wheer i can, being public hotspots , or my college wi-fi network. I'm not interested in any private networks for now, maybe when i get a laptop, i'll try wardriving for fun.
Phobik
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 am

Phobik wrote:On the legality issue, i'm looking to connect wheer i can, being public hotspots , or my college wi-fi network. I'm not interested in any private networks for now, maybe when i get a laptop, i'll try wardriving for fun.

What do YOU think wardriving is?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Starpoint » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 am

streaker69 wrote:What do YOU think wardriving is?

Its when you OWN a tank and drive it in traffic?:rolleyes:
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby beakmyn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:54 am

Phobik wrote:I understand a the difference between building an antena and a reflector for one inside a USB adapter. But if the reflector works, I'm fine with that, considering no need for expensive low loss cables.

Phobik wrote:I've done research on DIY antena building. When you say bad things can happen you are referring to greating an antena with too much gain and out of regulations? If so, is there a way to adjust the card's trasmit power for safety?

Bad things include but are not limited to:
Frying the transmitter in the card
Operating outside of FCC limits
Interference/damage to neighboring equipment
Bodily harm (RF Burns go from the inside out and hurt like hell)

You prevent this by carefully calculating your EIRP

Phobik wrote:I got a bit confused on the pigtail issue. You say they are meant to be small and flexible to connect to long lower loss antena cables. I thought it was just one cable going from the adapter antena connector straight to the antena sma connector.

If all you need is 6-18 inches flexible cable has a relatively low loss given the convenience. My antenna has several feet of low loss cable terminated with a N-connector and my pigtail is N to Orinoco to card.

Phobik wrote:On the legality issue, i'm looking to connect wheer i can, being public hotspots , or my college wi-fi network. I'm not interested in any private networks for now, maybe when i get a laptop, i'll try wardriving for fun.

What you describe above has absolutely nothing do with Wardriving.
beakmyn

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm

I see this thread heading straight to the treatment plant!
wrzwaldo

Postby Phobik » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:17 pm

did i say ~Driving? I meant plugging :p
No worries, I'm too poor to buy a laptop, and too dumb to hack. Does the FCC reache the EU btw? :rolleyes:
Phobik
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:10 pm

Phobik wrote:did i say ~Driving? I meant plugging :p
No worries, I'm too poor to buy a laptop, and too dumb to hack. Does the FCC reache the EU btw? :rolleyes:
Nope, but the thing to remember is the scope of this forum DOES NOT include discussions of illegal activity as the site is based in the U.S. Do whatever floats yer boat as long as your discussions here are above board.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Thorn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Phobik wrote:Does the FCC reache the EU btw? :rolleyes:
No, some all EU countries have similar regulations to the FCC and some are more stringent than the FCC. You will have to look up the regulations for Portugal yourself.

Anything you do that's stupid is at your own risk]you have been warned[/B]. Do not blame us if you wind up in jail.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to Hardware