PVC pipe laptop holder

Configuration and other hardware related information

PVC pipe laptop holder

Postby renderman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Given my love of PVC in many of it's forms, I'm surprised I never came up with something like this:

Cheap cup holder laptop tray - Hack a Day

None of my vehicles however had this type of deep cup holder, but it's a pretty good use. Has me taking another look at the center console storage bin as a mount point in my Grand Am.
renderman

Postby streaker69 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:23 pm

renderman wrote:Given my love of PVC in many of it's forms, I'm surprised I never came up with something like this:

None of my vehicles however had this type of deep cup holder, but it's a pretty good use. Has me taking another look at the center console storage bin as a mount point in my Grand Am.

Are you sure that's going to be rigid enough to actually support the machine while driving? PVC is great when it's just sitting still, but under movement and vibration it can start to have problem without proper support.

If I were you, after you've done some testing, I'd consider filling the PVC with some expansion foam to make it a little more rigid. Also, did you glue it together, I would, otherwise it's going to vibrate apart.

Oops, I didn't see that you didn't make it, but even so, if you make one, you might want to consider the stuff I said.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Starpoint » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:38 pm

renderman wrote:Given my love of PVC in many of it's forms, I'm surprised I never came up with something like this:

If you are not intending on anyone riding in the front seat, put 1- 2 flip out legs on the back side so that they touch the floorboards, then double platform the base where the laptop sits. lower base is fixed to the PVC... base 2 is mounted with soft rubber gimbals that allow up and down. side to side..

Unless you make 4 pole and suspend the platform with 8 tension springs, 4 mounted on top of the poles, 4 mounted at the base so that they negate each other's bounce. That might make it wobble...

the 1st idea would be more stable.. also have some way to affix the laptop to the floating base
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby Thorn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby renderman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:09 am

That's friggin awesome!
renderman

Postby Starpoint » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:04 am

renderman wrote:That's friggin awesome!

Renderman, if you get or have a netbook seriously look into a 9 cell or higher battery. I have a MSI U-100 Wind, spent 74 bucks for a 9 cell (biggest I could find for it) and I routinely get 6.5 hours of normal use. If I choose my "wardriving" profile, which is tweaked to power off the screen in 2 minutes of non use but system stays up, I get just over 7 hours. That is a SERIOUS drive.

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

Starpoint

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Starpoint wrote:Renderman, if you get or have a netbook seriously look into a 9 cell or higher battery. I have a MSI U-100 Wind, spent 74 bucks for a 9 cell (biggest I could find for it) and I routinely get 6.5 hours of normal use. If I choose my "wardriving" profile, which is tweaked to power off the screen in 2 minutes of non use but system stays up, I get just over 7 hours. That is a SERIOUS drive.

I've though about getting a bigger battery for my E, but it has enough bumps now as it is!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Starpoint » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:01 pm

my friend has the 901 model and the largest I have seen is a 10 cell. There used to be a 12 cell but have seen blurbs of those having issues.

one thing Barry, the extended battery raises the back a lil and gives the keyboard a nice slant for more comfortable typing.
Weight wise it still is light enough to carry.

Starpoint

Postby Thorn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:28 pm

renderman wrote:That's friggin awesome!

Yeah, they are! I bought both, suspecting -rightfully as it turned out- that my Explorer's stick shift would preclude the use of the cup holder unit in the front. The gooseneck unit bolted to the passenger seat base. It took about 2 minutes to install. The base can be left attached to the seat, and the gooseneck removed as needed.

The cup holder unit can be used with a laptop in the backseat by a passenger , although I'm using in the cup holder in the third seat to hold my WRT54G Kismet drone.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Starpoint wrote:my friend has the 901 model and the largest I have seen is a 10 cell. There used to be a 12 cell but have seen blurbs of those having issues.

one thing Barry, the extended battery raises the back a lil and gives the keyboard a nice slant for more comfortable typing.
Weight wise it still is light enough to carry.

I have the 701, comfortable typing and it's keyboard will never see the same sentence. As it stands, it's kinda hard to get in and out of the bag I carry it in. The external antenna and usb attach points stick out of the display about an inch.
MORE POWER!!
Barry

Postby G8tK33per » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 am

Thorn wrote:Yeah, they are! I bought both, suspecting -rightfully as it turned out- that my Explorer's stick shift would preclude the use of the cup holder unit in the front. The gooseneck unit bolted to the passenger seat base. It took about 2 minutes to install. The base can be left attached to the seat, and the gooseneck removed as needed.

The cup holder unit can be used with a laptop in the backseat by a passenger , although I'm using in the cup holder in the third seat to hold my WRT54G Kismet drone.

/flashes back to the sounds of NS running in the background while cruising Staten Island
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Thorn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:18 am

G8tK33per wrote:/flashes back to the sounds of NS running in the background while cruising Staten Island
Yeah, remember how we literally stumbled onto the location shoot of "Law and Order"? I tell you, a dark SUV will let you go anywhere. ;)
Thorn
Thorn

Postby G8tK33per » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 am

Thorn wrote:Yeah, remember how we literally stumbled onto the location shoot of "Law and Order"? I tell you, a dark SUV will let you go anywhere. ;)

Oh shit! I forgot about that. I do, however, remember your horrible golf swing and me actually missing the ball...on the tee.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby Thorn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:57 am

G8tK33per wrote:Oh shit! I forgot about that. I do, however, remember your horrible golf swing and me actually missing the ball...on the tee.

Don't worry, if anything my swing is worse. :(
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Barry

Next

Return to Hardware