Sirius radio antenna for wifi

Configuration and other hardware related information

Sirius radio antenna for wifi

Postby torindkflt » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:35 pm

It seems I cannot post in the Antennas forum, so I'll have to post this here.

I have recently had delivered into my possession an antenna for Sirius satellite radio. This isn't one of those little dinky hockey-puck antennas that you get for free with the radios, this one was mounted on the side of our old local Radio Shack store (Which is now closed), and is at least six inches square and three inches thick. It has a short (About 10 inches) miniature coax-style wire coming out of the back with a female screw-on type connector (Kinda like the type on the back of a TV, but just under 1/4" in diameter). It very much indeed appears to be a commercial-grade high-end antenna.

So, I was wondering...would it be possible to modify this antenna so it can be used for WiFi? It says on the back that it's for use with frequencies ranging from 2.32GHz to 2.3325GHz, which is so agonizingly close to being suitable for WiFi, and perhaps with some sort of modifications, could be used for such.

Here's some pics of the antenna in question in case you need any:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0137.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0140.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0139.jpg

Any thoughts?
torindkflt
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Nope.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Barry » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Uh, Uh. (How do you spell that anyway?)
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby MikeP928 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:07 pm

Don't let these scoundrels discourage you from some really creative thinking. Just install a 2.4ghz connector on the end of the cable and you will get some wild results. Those nay-sayers are just jealous of your great find.

Surely you read all of the Antenna FAQs, even though you could not post there. For some unknown reason the mods think they are the only ones intelligent enough to post there. But their dictatorial tendencies make them do lots of things like that.

So disregard any of their advice relating to reading and following the rules of the forum. If you stand up to them, they will respect you more.

The lone voice of reason.

MikeP
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby itsnotme » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:16 pm

I'll add to the lone voice of reason by saying, if you can modify your microwave to work at 2.3ghz, you can do anything! Remember that WiFi and Microwaves use the same frequency, so if your microwave will work at 2.3ghz then you're good to go.
itsnotme

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:42 pm

MikeP928 wrote:Don't let these scoundrels discourage you from some really creative thinking. Just install a 2.4ghz connector on the end of the cable and you will get some wild results. Those nay-sayers are just jealous of your great find.

Surely you read all of the Antenna FAQs, even though you could not post there. For some unknown reason the mods think they are the only ones intelligent enough to post there. But their dictatorial tendencies make them do lots of things like that.

So disregard any of their advice relating to reading and following the rules of the forum. If you stand up to them, they will respect you more.

MikeP

Your sarcasm, Sir, is quite revolting.
[color="White"]HAHA I loved it.[/color]
/Runs for the fridge and pulls out several cold ones and waits for MikeP to show up wanting to fight and ending up drinking. :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby beakmyn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:54 pm

torindkflt wrote:It seems I cannot post in the Antennas forum, so I'll have to post this here.

I have recently had delivered into my possession an antenna for Sirius satellite radio. This isn't one of those little dinky hockey-puck antennas that you get for free with the radios, this one was mounted on the side of our old local Radio Shack store (Which is now closed), and is at least six inches square and three inches thick. It has a short (About 10 inches) miniature coax-style wire coming out of the back with a female screw-on type connector (Kinda like the type on the back of a TV, but just under 1/4" in diameter). It very much indeed appears to be a commercial-grade high-end antenna.

So, I was wondering...would it be possible to modify this antenna so it can be used for WiFi? It says on the back that it's for use with frequencies ranging from 2.32GHz to 2.3325GHz, which is so agonizingly close to being suitable for WiFi, and perhaps with some sort of modifications, could be used for such.

Here's some pics of the antenna in question in case you need any:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0137.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0140.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/torindkflt/DSCF0139.jpg

Any thoughts?

Wifi is 2.4GHz you're antenna is finely tuned for 2.32 to 2.33GHz. Hold on let me get out my sliderule, carry the 2 / pi to 7 seven decimals places just to be sure. Hey Streaker what's the circumferance of the effluent pipe? root 2, natural log + Tuesday, sine 47.587460. 3.3

If you use a piece of aluminum foil place 33.333 (repeating of course) that is 1.2cm in diameter away from the focal point you should get something.
beakmyn

Postby Beard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:36 pm

beakmyn wrote:If you use a piece of aluminum foil place 33.333 (repeating of course) that is 1.2cm in diameter away from the focal point you should get something.

He'll also need a 6BE6 frequency changer with a 1932 RCA variable capacitor in parallel with a new cats whisker on the output side.
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby G8tK33per » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:39 pm

MikeP928 wrote:Don't let these scoundrels discourage you from some really creative thinking. Just install a 2.4ghz connector on the end of the cable and you will get some wild results. Those nay-sayers are just jealous of your great find.

MikeP
Heh...now THAT'S funny.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Return to Hardware