wpc54g ver. 2 external antenna

Configuration and other hardware related information

wpc54g ver. 2 external antenna

Postby misha_m73 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:08 am

Ok, I've searched the threads and found some info, but I want to run this by some of you folks.

I have a wpc54g ver. 2 that I want to hack up for external antenna(s). On the photo I have made some comments. 1st, is the small connector on the left side the hirose connector I've been reading about? 2nd, if I removed the surface mount components next to the arrow and turn them 90 degrees will I be able to add my own connectors for external antenna(s) at the soldier pads provided on the board?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michelle
Attachments
wpc54gv2.jpg
wpc54gv2.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
misha_m73
Mini Stumbler

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:21 am

Yes...
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:21 am

misha_m73 wrote:...

2nd, if I removed the surface mount components next to the arrow and turn them 90 degrees will I be able to add my own connectors for external antenna(s) at the soldier pads provided on the board?

In all reality you would only need to turn the one that is on the hirose branch. Because if I'm not mistaken that is the only antenna that transmits. I don't think there would be any benefit in adding a connector for two antennas as that is usually a diversity issue that requires a known distance between the antennas.
wrzwaldo

Postby misha_m73 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:01 am

Ok cool. I'm going to try it today. I have a connector from an old radio that I've checked the specs on it, it says its good up to 5Ghz, so I'm going to install that, and I'll take your advice and do the hirose side only and see how it goes. I'll post some follow ups with pics once I get everything done and tested.

Michelle
misha_m73
Mini Stumbler

Postby kleptophobiac » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:41 am

Just out of curiousity, what connector? The only ones I would use in this application are N, SMA, U.Fl, or TNC. ;)
kleptophobiac
Mini Stumbler

Postby misha_m73 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:44 pm

I'm using a tnc connector I think. Its from a motorola 900Mhz handheld radio. Its up and running. I don't have an antenna built for it yet, but I'm using a little rubber duck from another motorola radio and I can actually see some signal difference, not much, but I think if I built an antenna specifically for the 2.4Ghz range I think I would see much more improvement. I have some pictures of the mod and I'll post them as soon as I get them on my computer.

Michelle
misha_m73
Mini Stumbler

did it work???

Postby aciminede » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:54 pm

tell us did it work this is the only place for info. dont leave us hanging
aciminede
Mini Stumbler

Postby misha_m73 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:34 pm

I'm not satisfied with the results, so I'll be working on it more. I lost the surface mount component when I was trying to change it around and I need to find a replacement, right now I just have it jumpered. Not working very well.
misha_m73
Mini Stumbler

Postby radiodesign » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:03 am

misha_m73 wrote:I'm not satisfied with the results, so I'll be working on it more. I lost the surface mount component when I was trying to change it around and I need to find a replacement,

I don't know the actual card, but it is probably a 4.7-10pF 0603 capacitor. Use the one from the non-Hirose side if you do not want diversity.

misha_m73 wrote:right now I just have it jumpered. Not working very well.

Be careful, the capacitor is to block the DC path to the switch. If you short to ground, it may damage the switch or, at least, prevent it working correctly.

Something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3845299999 is excellent for making connections to pcbs at GHz. (not my listing)
radiodesign
Mini Stumbler

slight gain with this card

Postby aciminede » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:34 pm

i tried to solder the hirose side,the non hirose side,i connected the ground to the ground(d) on the card and the pos to the pos(c) i tried to rotate each capacitor in turn a and b. but to no visual change the only thing that helps is a bit ugly but works i used a tin/foil bread/muffin pan cut a little rectangle square and shoved it over my card hanging out of my laptop :) bout a 8 db gain with NetStumbla.!.??? thank you hawaiian bread! can point e be a ground point????
any ideas?
Attachments
mockup.jpg
mockup.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
aciminede
Mini Stumbler

Postby radiodesign » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:01 am

aciminede wrote:thing that helps is a bit ugly but works i used a tin/foil bread/muffin pan cut a little rectangle square and shoved it over my card hanging out of my laptop :) bout a 8 db gain with NetStumbla.!.???

sounds like you are making a reflector

aciminede wrote:can point e be a ground point????

no - it is DC ground, but is part of one antenna

It is very important not to have any inductance in the leads. If you have 1/2" from inner or screen to the connection you will lose a lot of signal.

The pic attached shows how to prepare the co-ax end (I have assumed that the other end has a good connector, correctly attached;-). Turn capacitor "a" through 90 deg, solder the inner of the co-ax to "c" and the outer to "d". You can improve the mechanical attachment of the co-ax by scraping the solder resist (green stuff) from close to "d" thereby enlarging the ground pad.

Disclaimer - I have not used this card - hack at your own risk
Attachments
cable_end.jpg
cable_end.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
radiodesign
Mini Stumbler

Did and Done

Postby aciminede » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:39 pm

Did it. It worked!!! thanks radio i owe ya one.i used some hot glue to help support the coax thanks again.
aciminede
Mini Stumbler

Me too!

Postby Clark2000 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:25 pm

I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance...

I've also got a Linksys WRT54G card that I'd like to add an antenna to. My AP (a WRT54G, any suggestions for a good aftermarket or homemade antenna for this guy?) is upstairs in my office, but I routinely use my laptop from the basement. I get a signal, but it is not especially strong.

I've done plenty of soldering, but I'm ignorant of what it means to rotate the cap 90 degrees. Does this refer to the physical position of the capacitor? Any more info would be helpful. Thanks much!
Clark2000
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:42 pm

Yes, see the photoshopped image. Notice there's now no connection to the Hirose path.
beakmyn

Thanks!

Postby jxaxmxixn » Sat May 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. Props to radio for the final word! Happy WiFi-ing! :eek:
jxaxmxixn
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Hardware