ABSOLUTE BASICS ( you might groan at this! )

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

Postby applecart » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:32 am

Thankyou NASHR. point noted. It would be a bit mad.

I would look more on the forum ( search ) if I knew exactly what I was meant to be searching for.

Every time I do a search, I end up drifting off-topic ( reading the threads ) or end up confused as to what I was looking for something in the first place, or end up reading a long thread and then finding it's nothing to do with my OS, CM, etc.. or does not apply...

it's a bit like needing to know how to spell a word, before looking it up in a dictionary! ( well, thats how I see it ) if I knew exactly what i was looking for, or could describe what i was looking for , better, I'd likely find it, but If i KNEW what i was looking for, I'd probably not need to be looking for it, as I'd already know.

It's all a bit confusing, and maybe I should'nt even be attempting to learn any of this new stuff, as getting solid answers, and links directly related to my questions, seems beyond me.

Sorry about that. I'm Dumb, I admit, But I'm trying to change that!

:)
applecart
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:02 am

Originally posted by applecart
Thankyou NASHR for your comment; it is noted.

THANKYOU MADHATTER, for pointing out the difference in countries, and laws applicable.

I do understand I was in error in my initial presumption, but i meant no harm, and I am thankfull you ponted out that different countries have different laws regarding this activity.

I will try more diligently to avoid any infringment of anyones privacy etc.. and to avoid anything that may be illegal.

Glad to hear it. AFAIK, it is illegal in the UK to connect. More precisely, it was the last time I was there.

I wonder if having the CM NOT running might help here? as it is at the moment, it seems to auto-connect when a signal is found. and I now gather, this is not good news.

Generally you want to disable the CM to avoid conflicts with NS. To avoid connecting at all (aside from the 802.11b association), disable ALL network protocols. (TCP/IP, etc.) This is all detailed in the FAQs. Search on "Client Manager", too.

[B]...
I dont know if this meant to be said.. but on my short drive round today, I saw a few more AP's on NS's screen, but only one was WEP'd ( in a residential street )
This tells me that local companies may be oblivious to the dangers of not running WEP'd, or that they think that like many others, that the signal stops at their buildings walls?

Sadly, this is typical. When WarDrivng first stated in early 2001, about 12% of all WLANs had encryption enabled. After 3 years, it is up to about 30%.

There has been at least one instance of a member here overhearing a sales clerk telling a third party that the signals do not travel outside the walls of a building.

As to searching, if you get stuck, most people will respond better if you start off a post with something like: "Searching on (search term) is getting me no where. Can someone suggest a different term?" This shows you are at least trying, and people do understand that it isn't always exact.

Also, the FAQs may be a hard slog to get through, but they really do have most questions that people ask. Please read them, it will prevent you asking the same questions, and usually same you from some flames.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby applecart » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:25 pm

Thanks Thorn,

I'll do just as you say..
and maybe I'll take notes instead of trying to take it all in at once just from reading it!

I dont want to be on the wrong side of the law, or on the wrong side of anyone here... so i'll tread very carefully, and continue to read as much as possible.

Hopefully, what I learn here, will help me to best secure my wireless equipment when I get it installed.

To learn to counter-measure something, I first have to understand what the security risk is, and how it is achieved/carried out. Only then , can I take the appropriate actions to harden my defenses, and succeptabilitly to that form of entry etc..

( sorry about my poor grammar and spellings! )

thanks again.

:)
applecart
Mini Stumbler

Previous

Return to Help