Complete Newbie

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

Complete Newbie

Postby OceanJet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:50 pm

Hello,

If by any means this posts causes some aggervated people, then I'm sorry and it can be removed.

I just finished watching a clip on my local NBC news about wireless security. Two guys drove down a street with a device and located several computers on wireless networks. The duo then proceeded to hack into the computers and alerted the people involved. I've seen a large number of these news clips and even did a little research online. I found this site by going to the MSNBC site and searching for Wireless Security articles in the Tech Section.

I know nothing about wireless internet, but I would love to learn more information. I'm interested in the basics and the security aspects. Also the different programs involved in finding all the different wireless users. I have no intention of hacking or any of that crap and to be honest I want the information for self gain. I've had an idea that wireless and overall internet security is going to be a growing field over the next ten years or more. Any book recommendations or sites online to view would be great. I'll be getting a wireless equipped laptop here soon and my intentions are to visit the TMobile hotspots or on campus and use the WiFi. However I'd like to be secure since I do a fair amount of trading online.

Thanks everyone,
Lance
OceanJet
Mini Stumbler

Postby Mr.White » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:24 pm

Does said local station have a website where we could possibly view or read about this segement?
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.
Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone.
"Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handey
Mr.White

Postby OceanJet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:28 pm

The story actually was not a local report, it was part of the NBC National News Service. Here's a link below that contains similar information that was presented in the news report:

News Article

Thanks,
Lance
OceanJet
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:29 pm

Many here have done such TV news ride alongs. Unfortunately the clip you saw, showed illegal actions (actually entering the WLAN) which we don't condone.

Start with Jeff Duntemann's book: Jeff Duntemann's Drive-By WiFI Guide. http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6901 It's great for a beginner. Also, Jeff has some FAQs on his site http://www.duntemann.com and http://www.duntemann.com/wifi/index.htm. Jeff is a regular here. (AKA Novilio)

Don't daytrade (or do any transaction that you'd like to keep from prying eyes) on a wireless unless you're using some type of end-to-end encryption such as VPN, SSL, etc., especially on a public hotspot.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby G8tK33per » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:45 pm

He seems decent enough...SO FAR . I'll give the dictionary crack a rest. This time.
G8tK33per

Postby OceanJet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:25 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone. Those links helped out a lot and I'll be buying the book here within a day or so. Sorry again for posting a newbie thread, I wasn't real sure if I should post here or not, but I was unable to find any "newbie" WiFi forums.

Thanks again
OceanJet
Mini Stumbler

Return to Help