Data source

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

Thread Merged for obvious reasons.

Postby blackwave » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:13 am

Originally posted by farbase
I to read a MiniStumbler NS1 file and produce a simple listing of APs found and related information. The NS1 file looks binary but really cant tell. Anyone have a layout or file information on how to do this or where to start?

it is a proprietary format currently undisclosed to the general public. :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby farbase » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:08 pm

Thanks. As I said I am new to this and probably asked the question wrong. What i figured out is Ministumbler does not have an EXPORT function, but NetStumbler does. So I just installed NetStumbler and bring in my Ministumber files and EXPORT them as TEXT.
farbase
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:36 pm

Originally posted by farbase
Thanks. As I said I am new to this and probably asked the question wrong. What i figured out is Ministumbler does not have an EXPORT function, but NetStumbler does. So I just installed NetStumbler and bring in my Ministumber files and EXPORT them as TEXT.

attaboy :) Most people wouldn't want to export on their PDA due to the large export text size that would generally be generated :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby farbase » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:57 am

I must being doing something wrong. I keep reading that people capture MAC address in the Exports. When I export using Summary, Text or Wi-Scan I dont get MAC address? I only get the following. Can you help?

# Latitude Longitude ( SSID ) Type ( BSSID ) Time (GMT) [ SNR Sig Noise ] # ( Name ) Flags Channelbits BcnIntvl

Thanks.
farbase
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:05 am

The MAC is the BSSID.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby RedDot » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:32 pm

I know it's been a while, but...

I decided to play around with the .ns1 format a little while back, but have found myself lacking time recently, so I decided to post what little progress I made.

Not much more deciphered, but I can get signal/noise/lat/lon for each 'record' of a given ap. Which given motive, should be enough to do some neat things (like signal strength/coverage maps).

There is still a lot more to figure out, but if you'd like to take a stab at the code, it's here: http://reddot.echowave.net/ns1decode.cpp

RedDot
RedDot
Mini Stumbler

Format Changed??

Postby starkeeper » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:20 am

Hi,
now we have 2004 and Netstumbler has moved on in devlopement. I tried the old Code sniplets, and nothing mainly nothing worked.

It seems that in Netsumbler 0.4.0 the ns1-file format changed. I can assign nearly all that you listet in this thread, only the latitude and longitude is not working.
Can anybody help to figure out how to read these values?
starkeeper
Mini Stumbler

Previous

Return to Help