DWL 650+ Help

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

Postby keia71 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:38 am

no dought jim we are not here to flame people for trying ...get over it dude...
keia71
Mini Stumbler

That's not sarcasm

Postby JimEther » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:52 am

Hey There,

Sarcasm woulda been more like this:

"Yeah, a driver for a different card sure should work?!"

Anyway, I don't mind experimentation. Although, since NS actually only supports Hermes chipsets, I don't see the point in trying to ge a different chipset driver to work with your card. You may be better off to try and get NDIS 5.0 or whatever installed on Win98.

From what I understand, the issue isn't even actually in the driver. It's in the principals by which the chipset functions.

What makes the 3com "look like it might work?"

There is another option though, and thatwould be to write your own drivers for the card. If there is anyway that it will work, then it would be through the use of wide-open drivers that list all resources and all capabilities... though this isn't very easy to do.

Let me know how the 3com driver orks though.
Have a Question, Click [color=BLUE]HERE[/color]

There are 00000010 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

No ONE should EVER connect to ANY network that they don't have EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION from the OWNER of to do so. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.
JimEther
Mini Stumbler

Postby pgoelz » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:43 am

I took a closer look at the post in question and I now think what was meant by the author was that the wireless access point the driver was for would work with any wireless card, not that the driver would. It was written in such a way that it could be interpreted either way.

Yes, I think you are correct.... getting NDIS 5.0 installed on Win2K (in my case) would do the trick. The way I understand NDIS, it is an intermediate layer that standardizes the communications between the card/driver and the OS. The fact that WinXP apparently has NDIS 5.0 would appear to be the reason why many Prism II chipsets now work under WinXP. I'm a little unclear as to what is required to enable NDIS if it is present.

For reasons not related to wireless, I am stuck with Win2K or I would simply move on to XP. I have a USB audio device that has interrupt and maybe memory issues under Win98 and WinXP but not under Win2K, so I am using Win2K for now. But I have a Ghosted installation of WinXP Pro that I can easily revert to and at least see if the DWL-650+ (and the Proxim) work. If so, I could then see if I could resolve the issues with my USB audio device. Basically, my laptop has the video driver, PCMCIA slots and USB port all sharing the same IRQ.... and it is hardwired that way and won't let you change those IRQs. Apparantly under Win2K, PCI IRQ steering resolves the issue. I thought it would under WinXP too, but if it does there is some other similar issue and the audio device has clicks and pops.

Paul
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Sad Situation

Postby JimEther » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:38 am

Hey There,

Yeah, that laptop seems to be putting you into a sad situation with resource limitations. If you get anything to work better, just give us all a hollar. Just wondering if you have tred any of the bootable linux CD's?
Have a Question, Click [color=BLUE]HERE[/color]

There are 00000010 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

No ONE should EVER connect to ANY network that they don't have EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION from the OWNER of to do so. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.
JimEther
Mini Stumbler

Postby pgoelz » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:17 am

I absolutely love this laptop (IBM Thinkpad 600) but the resource thing is a pain. Only trouble is.... how do you determine the resource issues pre-purchase unless you can sit down with one? It is the same issue I was fighting when I was trying to replace my Linksys WPC11. There is insufficient information available before you buy to make an educated choice. The only real option seems to be to buy from a place that will let you return it without a re-stocking fee.

I have considered Linux on and off for quite a while. But all I read seems to indicate that if I think Windows is fiddly, I REALLY won't like Linux! And I suspect that several of my apps that I consider essential are not ported to Linux yet.

But we're straying off topic..... next step in my NetStumbler saga will probably be to take another whack at WinXP. If I can solve the standby issue and the audio device issue, that would probably solve my NetStumbler issues. And I am coming to wonder if the standby issue is not really an issue. Under Win98 or 2K, when I standby the machine seems to power down everything except the memory. Standby time is measured in many weeks. Under XP, it leaves the power LED on and I can hear something that sounds like a power inverter.... a faint whine (and NOT the HD).... if I stick my ear up to the fan vent. Even though it does illuminate the standby LED, I have been considering this an issue. But our new Gateway with WinXP Home does pretty much the same thing.... leaves two power on LEDs illuminated even though it also activates the standby LED. Really dumb because all that draws current that simply reduces the possible unpowered standby time. No biggie on the Gateway because it goes into and out of hibernation pretty fast. But my slower IBM takes about as long to resume from hibernation as it does to boot so that isn't as much of an option.

But I'm straying off topic again. If anyone has any suggestions about how to do NDIS 5.0 on Win2K Pro, I'm all ears.

Paul
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Previous

Return to Help