DWL 650+ Help

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

DWL 650+ Help

Postby f4arm » Sat May 10, 2003 5:14 am

Hi,

I need some help to make my DWL650+ work with ApSniff or netstumbler. It seems that the card is not a real prism2. Has someone managed to do something with this kind of stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre.:confused:
f4arm
Mini Stumbler

Postby michaelp » Sat May 10, 2003 5:57 am

I have two of those cards, my suggestion is take it out of your computer, proceed to stomp on it, then chuck it in the trash.
That card is so disapointing, wait...I have the 650 not the 650+
anyways it sucks :)
michaelp

Postby f4arm » Sat May 10, 2003 6:17 am

Thanks,
but that doesn't help much. What would you buy if you threw your card to the trash ? Orinoco ?
:)
f4arm
Mini Stumbler

Postby michaelp » Sat May 10, 2003 9:08 am

yeap thats what I got :) or a laptop with XP and run a 200mw card on it.
michaelp

Postby internethoudini » Sat May 10, 2003 10:08 am

i had the 650+ working with xp pro and netstumbler no probs, you just need to use the beta drivers from dlink off their web site, and then play with the device setting on stumbler.
Cant remember off hand what they were as i have just took it out to play with a cabletron roamabout.
But it definitely worked and without an antenna the range was pretty good in or out and while driving!
if you have probs let me know and ill put it back in and reconfigure and give the settings but please have ago first as it definitely will work!
everything in life is fair game! except your dog!
internethoudini
Mini Stumbler

Thanks

Postby f4arm » Sat May 10, 2003 11:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for your help. The problem is that I use the DWL650+ card with win 98SE, on an "old" laptop (celeron 650) that would not like to run with WIN XP pro :( . I am not sure whether this changes something, but I have no access to device parameters in my version of Netstumbler. I don't know if you've ever tried it with WIN 98. Maybe I should change may computer !!!

:)
f4arm
Mini Stumbler

Dlink 650+

Postby kledford » Sun May 11, 2003 5:15 am

I have had similar experience..... Which version of the Driver did you get I have tried several from DLink... I think I could get it to work if I could get NetStumbler to See the card..... But if you have the settings and the Driver version you are using.. let me know.. I would liek to have them also ...
kledford
Mini Stumbler

Postby keia71 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:27 am

I finally got my dlink 650+ card to run on my dell inspiron 5000 laptop running win xp pro...

Thanks to the board....

I used the beta drivers and did not install the utility just the driver....

Works great
keia71
Mini Stumbler

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:40 am

What beta drivers? Or are they what preceded 3.03?

I have the DWL-650+ and would like to get it to run on Win2K Pro if possible. Any chance it might? So far it does not.
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

The kicker,...

Postby JimEther » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:48 am

Hey There,

Ok. The magic key in getting your non-supported cards to work with N.S. in Windows is WinXP or "better" (yuk!).... It all has to do with the NDIS support of your Operating System. I have a Belkin F5D6020v2, D-Link 650+ and a Buffalo G54A card. The cards do not work unless in WinXP. No settings to change or anything, they just don't work unless in XP. I have a couple of the clients installed and removed from startup.

I really don't think it mtters at all if you install the client or not, as long as you make sure it isn't loading at startup. I installed WinXP Pro on an older laptop I have, 160MB RAM with a AMD K6-2 475MHz. And it's more than quick enough to use for all kinds of stuff not just WarDriving... although, I can't suggest XP for anything...anyway...

Thanks for your time, I hope this helps someone.

Last Thing to say. If your card doesn't work with NS in Win98, just Install WinXP! Deal with it, or buy a supported card.
JimEther
Mini Stumbler

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:54 am

So I take it NDIS support is something that is provided by the OS and not the card or driver? Or all three?
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:03 am

NDIS drivers come with the OS.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:33 am

Ah. Armed with that info, I immediately found a link to a 3Com driver that looks like it might work. I'll try it when I get home.

Paul
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

wtf?

Postby JimEther » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:29 pm

Originally posted by pgoelz
Ah. Armed with that info, I immediately found a link to a 3Com driver that looks like it might work. I'll try it when I get home.

Paul

We tell you that the NDIS is from the OS, so you think you found a driver that might work... from a different manufacturer?
Have a Question, Click [color=BLUE]HERE[/color]

There are 00000010 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

No ONE should EVER connect to ANY network that they don't have EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION from the OWNER of to do so. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.
JimEther
Mini Stumbler

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:56 pm

Why all the sarcasm? It really is getting old. Or am I mis-reading you?

The post I read implied that the driver was for a 3Com product but in fact would work with any (their words) wireless card and most operating systems. I am as yet unable to determine what driver they were actually talking about so I have yet to actually try it.

What's wrong with a little experimentation, anyway? Without people trying the "wrong" things, none of the Prism chipsets would work on anything but WinXP, right? Who in the world would have thought of using the driver from a different D-Link card. But someone did.
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Help