Update on random NS closings?

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

Update on random NS closings?

Postby Entouchable » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:21 pm

No update as to why NS just closes after a few seconds seemingly out of nowhere? I'm running a Dell Truemobile a/b/g.

I'd hate to invest in a classic gold orinoco and find it had nothing to do with the card but the system.
Entouchable
Mini Stumbler

Postby Mr.White » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:17 am

I'd hate to invest in a classic gold orinoco and find it had nothing to do with the card but the system.

It helps to know WHAT system you are talking about. I'm sure you are aware that your card isn't supported. It MAY work with XP but there are no guarantees.

A classic Orinoco will work with any version of Windows. Some people even have it working with NT.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.
Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone.
"Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handey
Mr.White

Postby Entouchable » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:30 pm

Yeah i know my card is unsupported, I just find it odd that it might be causing the program to close with no prompt, as opposed to just not finding any nets, or even an error would be nice.

And im running a dell inspiron 8500, XP pro, plenty of ram, latest ns of course, and the truemobile 1400
Entouchable
Mini Stumbler

Postby peekitty » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:00 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested before elsewhere, but a simple bit of troubleshooting comes to mind: Remove your card, uninstall the drivers, and start Netstumbler. If it runs but says "no card detected" or suchlike, you've got your answer.
peekitty

Postby meeters » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:40 am

This sounds like a driver issue.

Did you run the set up program that came with the card or just pop it in and let xp install it?

I had a g card that worked great with the native xp drivers. I had the same problem you describe when I updated the drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Reverting back to the xp drivers solved the problem.
meeters
Mini Stumbler

Postby Entouchable » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:29 am

Originally posted by meeters
This sounds like a driver issue.

Did you run the set up program that came with the card or just pop it in and let xp install it?

I had a g card that worked great with the native xp drivers. I had the same problem you describe when I updated the drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Reverting back to the xp drivers solved the problem.

Well, it's a dell laptop, with a dell wireless card, so i would hope they would use their own drivers.. But you never know, i'll look into it. And if nothing, then ill try the troubleshooting method explained.

Though with wireless networking disable the program stays active and working (although obviously not finding any networks lol).
Entouchable
Mini Stumbler

Return to Help