What does it mean

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

What does it mean

Postby turbo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:56 pm

Guess they are not very friendly and helpful in hear as I have been searching for the meanings of the various headers in netstumber and have not found either. It would have been nice if someone could provide a link to the articles that were previously posted, which could have been months ago or longer.

Turbo
turbo
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:05 am

What are you asking about? What "headers"?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Re: What does it mean

Postby Madhadder » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:58 am

Originally posted by turbo
Guess they are not very friendly and helpful in hear as I have been searching for the meanings of the various headers in netstumber and have not found either. It would have been nice if someone could provide a link to the articles that were previously posted, which could have been months ago or longer.

Would you like some cheese with that whine???
It means you must be a moron... And haven't really done the
deep researching on this topic. This question/answer can be
found in the README.TXT / Here Forums / Or on Google groups.

I suggest you do some more research before you Really
get flamed to hell...
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

Postby turbo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:39 am

No I do not need any cheese.!!!!!!!

Only answers as we are here i thought to learn and to share unless this forum is not in support of that. In that case I would be on the wrong forum. Nevertheless the question was posed by another member about the parameters in NS and the reply was quite curt. I have looked and to date have not found the meanings of those parameters and figures someone here could direct me and others on the forum to the location of this informations. We are all not geniuses, some of us have to learn from books and others.

The information was the stuff about MAC, Channel, SSID, etc at the top off NS.

Thank you
turbo
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:56 am

The column titles are all self-explanatory. However, you must learn to walk before you can run.

You must have a baseline knowledge in computer networking (so you know what things like a MAC are) and RF theory (so you understand things like SNR.) Once you have those two down, a few of the things are WiFi specific, such as the SSID.

First, get a basic computer networking book. Search on the term "Networking 101" on these forums for a list of suggested books.

Second, get a basic RF theory book. Look in books stores for some Ham Radio study guides. Most give basic RF theory for beginners.

Finally, get Jeff Duntemann's Drive-By Wi-Fi Guide, to pull it all together and for the WiFi specifics. You can start with Jeff's book, but it also assumes you know some basics. If you don't know what a MAC is, then you have to start slow.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby turbo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:02 am

Thanks Thorn you have been helpful and I will take your suggestions. My background is not totally computer related and I am only now learning about wifi, bluetooth etc after aquire my pda.

I will definitely look into that material, Thanks from all those aspiring networkers.

turbo
turbo
Mini Stumbler

Postby turbo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:05 am

Actually physics was one off my majors so i am familiar with some terms, and I am a Ham operator so i know about RF and stuff , just wanted something specific to the program that I was researching. I will get a book on networking as you suggested and also the one by jeff.

Thanks again
turbo
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:20 am

OK, you're halfway there. Most problems that people have are with the RF side, like SNR.

You could probably jump right to Jeff's book, but since this stuff is networking, you may still need a bit of basics in that area. BTW, Jeff is on these forums as "Novilio".
Thorn
Thorn

Postby audit » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:34 am

Originally posted by turbo
Actually physics was one off my majors so i am familiar with some terms, and I am a Ham operator so i know about RF and stuff , just wanted something specific to the program that I was researching. I will get a book on networking as you suggested and also the one by jeff.

Thanks again

<start plug>Since your a HAM operator, you might be interested in the new HAM FORUM that was started after a lot of chattr about it on these forums.
</end plug>

audit
audit

Return to Help