What ORiNOCO - Proxim cards will work with NS?

Questions about the operation or expectations of the NetStumbler software

What ORiNOCO - Proxim cards will work with NS?

Postby Xatrix » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:38 pm

Just wondering is anyone has compiled a list of model numbers for cards that will work with NS, particaly the ORiNOCO 8470 and 8471
Xatrix
Mini Stumbler

Re: What ORiNOCO - Proxim cards will work with NS?

Postby Madhadder » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:29 am

Originally posted by Xatrix
Just wondering is anyone has compiled a list of model numbers for cards that will work with NS, particaly the ORiNOCO 8470 and 8471

Use the SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!

Only the "Classic Gold" Cards will work with NS.
(Not the ones with the business dork on them)

This has been covered MANY time before...
I suggest that beofre you ger severly flamed you DO YOUR
OWN RESEARCH......:rolleyes:
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

Drumroll, please...

Postby Monitr7 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:34 am

<Insert drumroll here>...

And the answer is:

http://www.stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_3_30.html

I hope this helps. Please, Xatrix, do a search the next time. This will save you from having to wear flame-resistant clothing when dealing with other members of this forum...

Whoops... too late. I see that General Noob-basher Madhadder has already arrived on the scene! :D
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby Mr.White » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:18 am

A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.
Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone.
"Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handey
Mr.White

Postby Xatrix » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:13 pm

Now, now what I was asking has anyone put together a list of MODEL NUMBERS catch that? MODEL NUMBERS of cards that work with NS. I know that the classic version will work but what is classic version in terms of model number? You know something along the lines of everyone saying I've got this card .... this model number and it works!? Also no need for flame gear was burned as a small child... most of it grew back :D
Xatrix
Mini Stumbler

Postby Monitr7 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:18 am

Gotcha. Well, on my Orinoco Gold (Agere), it looks like the model/part number is PC24E-H-FC. That is, if I'm looking at the right thing on the label; there is no model number, per se, on mine, and I no longer have the packaging it came with.

Glad to hear you're flame-resistant. It helps to have a thick skin around here sometimes. :D
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby Madhadder » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:14 am

Basically, If it has the Proxim name on it...STAY AWAY...
If it says, Lucent,Avaya,Agere,Dell Truemobile,IBM, etc etc.
AND it looks like a "Classis" gold card then it should work...

Again... To avoid the whole "What Proxim Cards work with NS"
prob. just stay away from anyting from Proxim...

Image (c) 2003 Gen. Madhadder
Attachments
noprox.jpg
noprox.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Madhadder

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:27 am

Hey, don't feel too bad. I was about to post the very same question. In fact I attepted to post it, only to find that I had to register before I could post. So I registered...... only to find that there are a LOT more forums visible after you register. That is how I found this one, with the answer to my question about why my Proxim card doesn't work.

So why aren't ALL the forums visible to non-registered users? I wonder if that would cut down the confusion?

I feel a bit taken too. I bought the Proxim card because I was under the mistaken impression that it was the same as the Orinoco card. NOWHERE in ANY Netstumbler documentation including this forum (before I registered) was there anything that I could find that said that the Proxim card would not work. Since I was under the false impression that the Proxim was the same as the Orinoco, I naturally assumed that since Proxim was not mentioned in the FAQs it would work. I DID try to do my homework. Did I miss something?

How about adding Proxim to the list of cards that DO NOT work? Wouldn't that end the confusion?
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:50 am

Originally posted by pgoelz

So why aren't ALL the forums visible to non-registered users? I wonder if that would cut down the confusion? ...

No, actually it adds to it. We instituted the the FAQ forums, and making only those visable to the guests, to cut down on the number of posts. Prior to this policy, there were about six times the number of newbies posting once or twice saying "Why doesn't my card ____ work?"

I feel a bit taken too. I bought the Proxim card because I was under the mistaken impression that it was the same as the Orinoco card. NOWHERE in ANY Netstumbler documentation including this forum (before I registered) was there anything that I could find that said that the Proxim card would not work. Since I was under the false impression that the Proxim was the same as the Orinoco, I naturally assumed that since Proxim was not mentioned in the FAQs it would work. I DID try to do my homework. Did I miss something?

Apparently.

http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7823

How about adding Proxim to the list of cards that DO NOT work? Wouldn't that end the confusion?

Please understand this: Although the author of NetStumbler and MiniStumbler occationally graces us with his presense on this site, we on the forums have no control over the content of the README.HTML.

We also do not have any control over Proxim buying out ORiNOCO and changing the cards. That happened between the last time a version of NS was issued, and now. When the members here realized that the new cards not not work, we posted the above noted thread to help out newbies. It was posted in an area accessable to guests. We can't help it if newbies do not take the time to search and read.

Finally, what do you feel taken by? NS is free and it is beta. Caveat emptor.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby G8tK33per » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:00 am

Originally posted by Thorn

Finally, what do you feel taken by? NS is free and it is beta. Caveat emptor.

Damn Cave Emperors...
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:27 am

Looks like I missed it because it was in the WiFi section and not the NetStumbler section. Silly me.

Take this as feedback on why a newbie might dare to ask a question that had already been answered. I DID look around and I DID try to do my homework. And another bit of feedback..... if this is how you treat newcomers, you will probably have a lot less of them stick around to become mature members. We're not all dummies and we do try. I am a major participant on another forum where we are constantly getting newcomers who all ask the same questions. Patiently answering them or pointing them to a link is part of the job. The all stick around and many of them become experts in their own right and begin answering questions themselves. It's kinda cool to watch.

Please understand this: Although the author of NetStumbler and MiniStumbler occationally graces us with his presense on this site, we on the forums have no control over the content of the README.HTML.

I do understand that. I kinda gathered it from what I read while I was doing my homework.
We also do not have any control over Proxim buying out ORiNOCO and changing the cards. That happened between the last time a version of NS was issued, and now. When the members here realized that the new cards not not work, we posted the above noted thread to help out newbies. It was posted in an area accessable to guests. We can't help it if newbies do not take the time to search and read.

See above. I spent quite a bit of time reading the Netstumbler forum accessible to me in fact. Like I said, it didn't occur to me to read the WiFi FAQ becuase it was NetStumbler I was interested in.
Finally, what do you feel taken by? NS is free and it is beta. Caveat emptor. [/B]

No, I do not feel "taken" by NetStumbler or its author. Not in the least. I tried to make a very informed decision based on all the information I had at my disposal and discovered post-purchase that I didn't have as much information as I thought.

What you don't know because it wasn't germaine to this discussion is that the Proxim card is the sixth 802.11b card I have had since my trusty (but insensitive) Linksys WPC11 bit the dust a couple weeks ago. Ever since then I have been in WiFi hell trying to find a card that works reliably with my laptop. The manufacturers are clueless for the most part and the necessary information is not on the box or on their web sites so you have no way of telling prior to purchase. I doubt that the manager of the local CompUSA EVER wants to see my face again. Suffice it to say that I went through four Linksys cards of various models (all of which are not compatible with the TI Cardbus controllers in my laptop, a fact that is not documented anywhere and that not everyone at Linksys is aware of), a D-Link DWL-650+ (got flakey for a while but has since settled down) and now the Proxim card. At least the Proxim card actually works in my laptop.... after a fashion. That is the primary mission. But I had hoped I could use it with NetStumbler too.
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Postby Madhadder » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:59 pm

Popcorn, Anyone???
Madhadder

Postby HITMONEY » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:38 pm

He isn't having too good of luck huh.

/me hands pgoelz a few yards of CAT5 cable.

:D
HITMONEY

Postby audit » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:49 pm

nah, I'll let this pass.

audit
Head of Flame Patrol.
audit

Postby pgoelz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:59 pm

OK, if newbies get made fun of like this I'm outa here. I feel like I poked my head into a bar in a small town and woke up the locals. Sorry I bothered any one.

Paul
pgoelz
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Help