3 people with XP can't get on WiFi...others can...help.

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

3 people with XP can't get on WiFi...others can...help.

Postby hotelwifi » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:15 pm

I need some help here.

I have a WiFi location at a hotel where most all the people can get on the Internet with no problems.

I checked it out and all the APs are working fine.

Problem is there were 2 people yesterday and one today, who have XP, but can't get on the Internet. I have XP, but I can get on easy.

I had them check to be certain their network connection for the wireless card had "Obtain an IP address automatically" checked off. It did.

Even with that I can't do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on his laptop computer. But I can on my computer, which has XP, and on other computers.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening. It seems to be just a very small percentage of the XP laptops that can't get on the Internet.

We loaned a wireless ethernet bridge to one guy and they could get on right away with the bridge. So that seems to say they had a configuration problem in their laptop, using their wireless PC card.

They say they can get on WiFi at other locations.

I'm stumped for now. Help.
hotelwifi
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:16 pm

It is possible that their cards do not like your AP's. It happens now and then. What AP's are you using?
wrzwaldo

Postby Thorn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:20 am

Depending on the configuration and skill level of the user, it could possibly be an issue with the SP2 firewall.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:28 am

Are you using a nomadix box? Their DHCP server does not have good play nice in the sandbox skills with like any Mac OS, (except for 10), and windows 9x.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby hotelwifi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:32 pm

I thank you all for your input.

I did make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" was checked off.

Someone told me that it's possible that in Windows they could have a proxy server checked off. Does that sound like a possiblity?

I see you said something about a firewall. How can the Windows XP firewall be turned off? I have used Win 2000 for so long. Don't know XP much yet. I should.

No don't have a Nomadix box. I had a router put in place of a defective gateway. I should get the gateway put back in in a couple days.

I'm using a Senao AP Pro Plus. I thought all 802.11b pc cards would be compatible. Sounds like some aren't?

Thanks again to you all,
hotelwifi
Mini Stumbler

Postby scdako » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:52 pm

I know that I am digging up an old post.. but this could be something as simple as the power saver mode on their laptop has turned off the wireless lan. I know this sounds simplistic but in the tech store I work in that is the most common reason that people cannot connect to wireless LAN. I had one guy today who was changing all sorts of settings to try and connect to his wireless, but I told him, "nope its just the battery saver mode kicking in" So anyways that is defiently the first thing that I would check in cases like this.
scdako

Postby Scruge » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:26 pm

scdako wrote:I know that I am digging up an old post.. but this could be something as simple as the power saver mode on their laptop has turned off the wireless lan. I know this sounds simplistic but in the tech store I work in that is the most common reason that people cannot connect to wireless LAN. I had one guy today who was changing all sorts of settings to try and connect to his wireless, but I told him, "nope its just the battery saver mode kicking in" So anyways that is defiently the first thing that I would check in cases like this.

When the bat. saver is on does the power and link lights continue to work on the card? I've never noticed what mine does when in bat saving mode.
Scruge

Return to HotSpots