Block certain SSID? Possible?

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

Block certain SSID? Possible?

Postby pacini » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:44 pm

Hi,
I'm getting annoyed by someone trying to intrude my locations with his SSID, (he gets a close by location and shoot his signal inside my locations), now, is there a way to block him out? or maybe another idea of making his signal weak or useless to clients?

Thanks :)
pacini
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Postby dgstinner » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:11 pm

Could you please explain yourself better? What you said made no sense to me. An SSID is broadcast by a router/access point. The way you're describing things, it sounds like people are driving/walking passed you with access points and I know that can't be the case.
Stats for user DGStinner:
Total New Discovered Networks with GPS: 10,122
All Networks Recorded: 11,553
dgstinner
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:33 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby pacini » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:21 pm

dgstinner wrote:Could you please explain yourself better? What you said made no sense to me. An SSID is broadcast by a router/access point. The way you're describing things, it sounds like people are driving/walking passed you with access points and I know that can't be the case.


Alright,
What is happening is that I own a few coffeeshops and I operate my own WiFi. What is happening now is that I got someone targetting my business with his WiFi signals (Same SSID on my locations), and it's annoying me.
pacini
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Postby Thorn » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:25 pm

No, there's no way to block his signal. He might be civilly and criminally liable however, if he is doing to so steal or otherwise defraud clients from you.

There are several ways that you can mitigate it the impact, depending on how you want to go about it, and how much you are willing to spend. Things like closed portals utilizing SSL can be very effectlive.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby Thorn » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Move to the HotSpots Forum as the NetStumbler Forum was inappropriate.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:17 pm

dgstinner wrote:Could you please explain yourself better? What you said made no sense to me. An SSID is broadcast by a router/access point. The way you're describing things, it sounds like people are driving/walking passed you with access points and I know that can't be the case.



I wouldn't be to sure about that. Myself and a couple others here have been known to toss a spare AP in the car when we are out and about.
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby pacini » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:55 pm

Thorn,
Thanks. I'm willing to spend whatever, as long as I keep his SSID away. I was thinking to operate a dummy AP with his ssid/signal inside my territory, that won't "block him away" but I have a good chance that ppl wanting to connect to "HIS" network, will instead connect to this dummy AP and get nothing. This is not a 100% working solution, but I guess it's better than nothing, no?
pacini
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Postby nashr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:41 am

pacini wrote:Thorn,
Thanks. I'm willing to spend whatever, as long as I keep his SSID away. I was thinking to operate a dummy AP with his ssid/signal inside my territory, that won't "block him away" but I have a good chance that ppl wanting to connect to "HIS" network, will instead connect to this dummy AP and get nothing. This is not a 100% working solution, but I guess it's better than nothing, no?


Now I'm confused. At first I thought someone was using the same SSID that you use for your hotspots, thus confusing or causing problems for your customers.

Now it sounds like you want to set up a dummy AP with HIS SSID? So, I have some questions:

1) Is this problem being caused by another access point with the same SSID at your hotspots?

2) If not, please clarify the problem.

Thanks!
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
User avatar
nashr
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Virginia

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:26 am

Your opening post... wrote:...

I'm getting annoyed by someone trying to intrude my locations with his SSID...


Then you said...

You Again wrote:...

What is happening now is that I got someone targetting my business with his WiFi signals (Same SSID on my locations), and it's annoying me.

...



Now you want to...

pacini wrote:Thorn,
Thanks. I'm willing to spend whatever, as long as I keep his SSID away. I was thinking to operate a dummy AP with his ssid/signal inside my territory, that won't "block him away" but I have a good chance that ppl wanting to connect to "HIS" network, will instead connect to this dummy AP and get nothing. This is not a 100% working solution, but I guess it's better than nothing, no?


Now if he/she/it has the same SSID and you block it won't that hose things up at your area as well? I mean you both have the SAME SSID right?

What's that horrible smell?
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby nashr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:38 am

pacini wrote:Thorn,
Thanks. I'm willing to spend whatever, as long as I keep his SSID away. I was thinking to operate a dummy AP with his ssid/signal inside my territory, that won't "block him away" but I have a good chance that ppl wanting to connect to "HIS" network, will instead connect to this dummy AP and get nothing. This is not a 100% working solution, but I guess it's better than nothing, no?


Ah, and now you want to do to HIM what you say he's doing to YOU!!!???


Let the backpeddling begin.....
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
User avatar
nashr
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Virginia

Postby The Others » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:47 am

A similar situation some time back:

http://netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=10892

I stand by my post in that thread.
all good ends all

?u=273
User avatar
The Others
 
Posts: 2910
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Dos Palabras, Mandoras

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:50 am

These solutions will help in this case.

The cheap : Do search for WiFiSpray and purchase enough of that for your establishments. Then proceed to cover the walls in your establishment with at least two layers of WiFiSpray. That should keep your radiosignals inside, and their radiosignals outside.

The expensive : Purchase enough copperwiring (3 gauge minimum) to build a faraday cage in your coffeshops. If you are creative enough, you might even make it a part of the decor. Give out free tinfoil caps to all customers, and I'm sure the free marketing value from newspapers and TV stations telling about it, will cover the initial cost. of preventing other peoples LEGAL radio signals from intruding into your establishments.

:rolleyes:

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:58 am

Is it just me, or does this sound like a cat fight between two businesses that are in direct competition of one another?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:02 am

streaker69 wrote:Is it just me, or does this sound like a cat fight between two businesses that are in direct competition of one another?


Yes! And I'd be willing to bet this guy is bleeding from the rectum!
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby fregniacciaro » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:47 am

Dutch wrote:These solutions will help in this case.

The cheap : Do search for WiFiSpray and purchase enough of that for your establishments. Then proceed to cover the walls in your establishment with at least two layers of WiFiSpray. That should keep your radiosignals inside, and their radiosignals outside.

The expensive : Purchase enough copperwiring (3 gauge minimum) to build a faraday cage in your coffeshops. If you are creative enough, you might even make it a part of the decor. Give out free tinfoil caps to all customers, and I'm sure the free marketing value from newspapers and TV stations telling about it, will cover the initial cost. of preventing other peoples LEGAL radio signals from intruding into your establishments.

:rolleyes:

Dutch


This one is available... (barely work safe)
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
User avatar
fregniacciaro
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:30 pm
Location: Sq'rat on the loose!! Shoot 'im! (not you G8t)

Next

Return to HotSpots

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests